Debrand and unlock your Samsung Focus S to receive updates immediately

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I was searching for a way to debrand my AT&T Samsung Focus S to receive the latest update and was at first surprised to find out that none of the registry editors work and secondly, that I could not find a simple way how to unbrand it.

So here is a simple way for anybody who was looking for the same thing.

Please note that this will unlock and debrand your phone (and I’ve also thrown in the 3G toggle tweak) but after you update to 7.10.8107.79 through Zune, you will no longer be able to use the ProvXML method of deploying registry settings (that we are using here).

All credit goes to Deathbyvegemite who told me what to do and Jaxbot and his WindowBreak Project which helped me figure out how to do it. :) This is really just a simple modification of his work, so I have to thank him and all the other people that have worked on this.

Okay, so to do this, please follow these steps:

1) Open your mobile browser and go to: http://www.kremese.sk/debrand_focus_s.zip
2) The file will be opened. Follow the instructions and tap on “debrandfocuss.xml”
3) Press Start
4) Navigate to Phone
5) Dial ##634#
6) Type *#9908#
7) Select DebrandFocusS
8) Press Save and Reboot

After that, connect to Zune and you will receive the 8107 update.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
...and then how do we re-brand it after the procedure???
The point of this is to debrand it. If you want a branded phone, then don't do it and wait till At&T pushes the update to you (or search XDA for other ways how to update).

There will be other updates coming in the future - this is supposed to make sure that you receive them all and don't have to wait for AT&T.

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you know if that installs the KK2 samsung update or is that just the omnia 7? Does internet connection sharing still work?

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if that installs the KK2 samsung update or is that just the omnia 7? Does internet connection sharing still work?
Not sure about the firmware update, but my firmware version after the update is: 2103.11.10.1.

Internet sharing was already there before the update and is still there.

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The point of this is to debrand it. If you want a branded phone, then don't do it and wait till At&T pushes the update to you (or search XDA for other ways how to update).

There will be other updates coming in the future - this is supposed to make sure that you receive them all and don't have to wait for AT&T.
I get that, make it like a Nexus phone sorta.

my concern is do you then miss out on any carrier specific soft/firmware updates? do you have any issues if they were to finally turn on vis voice mail :lol: or the like?

thanks for your efforts,

h

Last edited:

syang87

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You could try to pull out your sim card and try then.

But I think it will most likely be related to an old version of the Diagnosis tool. Can you please check which version you have?
My diagnosis tool is version 1004. Is that the old one? How do I update to get the new one?

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I also have the same diagnosis tool 1004 on my Focus Flash. Side loading apps still works. I read that there is a registry setting that can be changed to fix the "no cellular data connection" error, but WP7 Root Tools doesn't work with 2nd gen devices, yet, so there is no way to modify the registry on the phone the way they did in this post xda-developers - View Single Post - [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List: 7.10.8107 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates. I also tried using the cab sender method first, but that did the same thing, it disables internet connection sharing.

Deathbyvegemite

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Hey All, Several comments, so bare with me.

Firstly, MrBurrrns, cheers for the kudos, and nice job on the zip. Might I suggest that you add the following to it, it will help resolve peoples data connection issues.

<characteristic type="Registry">
<characteristic type="HKLM\System\AutoDataConfig">
<parm name="RunADC" value="1" datatype="integer" />

</characteristic>

<parm name="ConfigurationStatus" value="0" datatype="integer" />

</characteristic>

<parm name="Attempt" value="0" datatype="integer" />

</characteristic>

<parm name="MaxAttemptsAllowed" value="3" datatype="integer" />

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

RE: KK2 vs 8107. They are very different. KK2 is only applicable to the Samsung devices, and it will stop your ability to use the ProvXML method of registry editing. The 8107 update should be for all hardware. You must be very careful when you get an update notice as to what it is you are installing. They are seperate, and you can elect to not install the firmware update and still in stall the 8107 update and presumably future updates.

There was a question re re-branding - edit the XML file and change the Mobile Operator from 000-88 back to ATT-US and run through everything from step 6 again.

I'm too tired to give any more updates tonight, hit me up if you have any questions!

Cheers
Deathbyvegemite

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Did that and it's still on ver.1004
Diagnostics v. 1004 might be the latest; it worked for me. Does step 6 work for you or does nothing happen? If you see the screen where you can pick the file Diagnostics is probably working and there is another problem.

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Hey All, Several comments, so bare with me.

Firstly, MrBurrrns, cheers for the kudos, and nice job on the zip. Might I suggest that you add the following to it, it will help resolve peoples data connection issues.

<characteristic type="Registry">

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

</characteristic>

RE: KK2 vs 8107. They are very different. KK2 is only applicable to the Samsung devices, and it will stop your ability to use the ProvXML method of registry editing. The 8107 update should be for all hardware. You must be very careful when you get an update notice as to what it is you are installing. They are seperate, and you can elect to not install the firmware update and still in stall the 8107 update and presumably future updates.

There was a question re re-branding - edit the XML file and change the Mobile Operator from 000-88 back to ATT-US and run through everything from step 6 again.

I'm too tired to give any more updates tonight, hit me up if you have any questions!

Cheers
Deathbyvegemite
It looks to me like the data connections keys are in MrBurrrns xml file. see lines below, the format is a little different.

<!-- Enable auto data config -->
</characteristic>

My data works alright, but my ability to share my internet connection has gone away.

syang87

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Diagnostics v. 1004 might be the latest; it worked for me. Does step 6 work for you or does nothing happen? If you see the screen where you can pick the file Diagnostics is probably working and there is another problem.
I can get through the whole thing (losing data connection). But when i connect to Zune it doesn't show that i need an update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle