Debrand and unlock your Samsung Focus S to receive updates immediately

Deathbyvegemite

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It looks to me like the data connections keys are in MrBurrrns xml file. see lines below, the format is a little different.

<!-- Enable auto data config -->
<characteristic type="HKLM\System\AutoDataConfig">
<parm name="RunADC" value="1" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="ConfigurationStatus" value="0" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="Attempt" value="0" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="MaxAttemptsAllowed" value="3" datatype="integer" />
</characteristic>

My data works alright, but my ability to share my internet connection has gone away.

I guess I was more tired when I did that post than I realized, I could have sworn I didn't see it. Sorry Burrrns :)

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
It looks to me like the data connections keys are in MrBurrrns xml file. see lines below, the format is a little different.

<!-- Enable auto data config -->
<characteristic type="HKLM\System\AutoDataConfig">
<parm name="RunADC" value="1" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="ConfigurationStatus" value="0" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="Attempt" value="0" datatype="integer" />
<parm name="MaxAttemptsAllowed" value="3" datatype="integer" />
</characteristic>

My data works alright, but my ability to share my internet connection has gone away.
On some forums it says that a registry tweak like the following would work to restore internet connection sharing.

<wap-provisioningdoc>
<!-- ProvXML to fix Internet connection sharing -->
<characteristic type="Registry">
<characteristic type="HKLM\Services\ICS">
<parm name="UserProcGroup" value="5" datatype="integer" />
</characteristic>
</characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>

I just tried to make a tweek to the registry similar to what MrBurrrns, but it has not had any effect. The key may not exist or there might be another issue. I can't see the registry to know for sure.

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I can get through the whole thing (losing data connection). But when i connect to Zune it doesn't show that i need an update.
You're saying it is appearing in Zune, but it is not showing it needs an update? You can try clicking on settings (top right) and then click update in the left navigation.

Last edited:

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I've done that too. Still nothing. :-/
You can try the manual method from here, Windows Phone 7 build 7.10.8107.79 roll out started get it now and update manually | MobileTechWorld. It works pretty fast. Just take the two OS files, 7720 -> 7740 and 7740 -> 8107 and the two language files and put them all in the folder with the cab sender .bat file and run it. It will merge the updates and do it all in one shot. Just make sure you backup first in case you want to revert back. It worked perfectly on my Focus Flash except internet connection sharing, but the Zune update method whacked it too.

Last edited:

Mr_pither

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
You can try the manual method from here, Windows Phone 7 build 7.10.8107.79 roll out started get it now and update manually | MobileTechWorld. It works pretty fast. Just take the two OS files, 7720 -> 7740 and 7740 -> 8107 and the two language files and put them all in the folder with the cab sender .bat file and run it. It will merge the updates and do it all in one shot. Just make sure you backup first in case you want to revert back. It worked perfectly on my Focus Flash except internet connection sharing, but the Zune update method whacked it too.
I did this one last night as described here and it was easy as cake with my Focus S. :cool:

5tephen

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I did the first method posted on my Focus Flash this morning. Now sporting the 8107 update :)

Sent from my Jumping Jack Focus Flash using Board Express

syang87

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you. Worked flawlessly.

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Are there any drawbacks to doing the manual method? Have you noticed any issues since you have done it?
I haven't noticed any side effects; I've been running 8107 for over a week. I've had only one spontaneous reboot, but I'm not as patient as I should be sometimes and probably push the limits on the processor. The only drawback is losing the internet connection sharing ability, but I think that would happen no matter what update method you choose. Seems they are trying to lock that feature down intentionally. Until we can get some registry editing tools that work for 2nd gen devices it is hard see what keys to change in order to turn it back on.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I used the first way and I only got the 7740 update an improvement nonetheless but not 8107. Maybe its because I am using WP7 connector?

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I used the first way and I only got the 7740 update an improvement nonetheless but not 8107. Maybe its because I am using WP7 connector?
It could be. You might find a computer that has Zune on it and try connecting to it and see if it updates. When I did it the first way, it first it did the 7740 update then after, it rebooted and found the next update, 8107, and did that. It took a long time but it worked. 8107 had the keyboard fix which is really the main thing I wanted.

cfuess2

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes your phone is interop unlocked now, you can sideload apps now that are not in the marketplace. Also, I've found a fix for the internet connection sharing, if anyone is also having that problem. [XAP] Internet Sharing + Interop Unlock all-in-one for Samsung Phones - xda-developers explains the process. Be sure to download the "File Deployer - Gen 2.xap" version. You will have to download the "Windows Phone SDK 7.1" which is what you will use to install . After the install make sure to run Wireless Manager and ICS should work, it did for my Focus Flash. Good Luck. :D

Last edited:

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I just followed the directions in the first post and I am now updating to 7740. Hopefully it will go to 8107. I will post back the results.

OP, you rock!!!

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
My phone just finished 7740. It has started the 8107 upgrade. I noticed after the 7740 update applied the boot screen said Samsung Mobile on it before the AT&T splash screen. It is updating to version:

I will post when it is successful.

smartvoyager

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
The update has completed and I am now running 7.10.8107.79. Everything appears ok so far.... a couple minutes! lol.

I am still connected with 4G so network still works.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site

I did the first method in this thread. It didnt seem to work and I lost all data connection. Zune showed no updates available. I then did the method quoted above. It worked well, but my data connection is still broken. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss