Samsung Focus S, fragile?

1Rahtid

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A website that I've lost all respect for as of a few years ago, if i ever did have it in the first place, is CNET. They, at one point, listed the Focus S as one of the top 5 smartphones, but then went on to demean the device by suggesting that it is fragile, simply because it is light. Jessica Dolcort who did a full review stated, "...it feels a little insubstantial, and I'm unconvinced of its ability to sustain casualties from butterfingers' repeated drops." I also saw similar comments from I believe Molly Woods, but cannot seem to locate them at this point. I took exception to their review when I saw it mentioned on WPCentral because I though that in the absence of historical data suggesting high failures due to drops, CNET's assertion is entirely baseless and irresponsible.
Well, today I dropped my beloved Focus S, totally by accident mind you, from just above waist height. I accidentally pulled it out of my cycling jersey pocket, and it fell on fairly rough asphalt and then rolled and slid several feet. I took it up, turned it on, and there wasn't a single crack or scratch on the screen. After a quick inspection I identified, due to a telltale dent and related gouges, that the lower right edge took the brunt of the impact . Other than that, it's in fine working condition.
Take that CNET!!
Anyone else think their Focus S is well made, and able to withstand everyday use?

CNET's review here: Samsung Focus S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
A website that I've lost all respect for as of a few years ago, if i ever did have it in the first place, is CNET. They, at one point, listed the Focus S as one of the top 5 smartphones, but then went on to demean the device by suggesting that it is fragile, simply because it is light. Jessica Dolcort who did a full review stated, "...it feels a little insubstantial, and I'm unconvinced of its ability to sustain casualties from butterfingers' repeated drops." I also saw similar comments from I believe Molly Woods, but cannot seem to locate them at this point. I took exception to their review when I saw it mentioned on WPCentral because I though that in the absence of historical data suggesting high failures due to drops, CNET's assertion is entirely baseless and irresponsible.
Well, today I dropped my beloved Focus S, totally by accident mind you, from just above waist height. I accidentally pulled it out of my cycling jersey pocket, and it fell on fairly rough asphalt and then rolled and slid several feet. I took it up, turned it on, and there wasn't a single crack or scratch on the screen. After a quick inspection I identified, due to a telltale dent and related gouges, that the lower right edge took the brunt of the impact . Other than that, it's in fine working condition.
Take that CNET!!
Anyone else think their Focus S is well made, and able to withstand everyday use?

CNET's review here: Samsung Focus S Review - Watch CNET's Video Review.

I never really liked Samsung's phones because the plastic made it feel cheap to me, but someone in the family owns a Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile version of the original Galaxy S) and I think it would survive a drop just because it's so light. It's just like dropping a piece of paper, it isn't going to get damaged because there's no mass! :p

I agree though, I don't think they should call it fragile just because it's made of plastic and feels light in their hands. I think Samsung devices have pretty good build quality, it's just the plastic and the weight that makes it feel "cheap" to some people.

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
This phone is most definitely not fragile. In fact it has been quite durable I wouldn't go as far to say that it's bulletproof but it fares drops better than a iPhone and most androids

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
This phone is most definitely not fragile. In fact it has been quite durable I wouldn't go as far to say that it's bulletproof but it fares drops better than a iPhone and most androids

Yeah, iPhones, you wouldn't want to drop. The metal frame is quite strong actually, but the glass will likely shatter if the phone lands on that side.

1Rahtid

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I never really liked Samsung's phones because the plastic made it feel cheap to me, but someone in the family owns a Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile version of the original Galaxy S) and I think it would survive a drop just because it's so light. It's just like dropping a piece of paper, it isn't going to get damaged because there's no mass! :p

I agree though, I don't think they should call it fragile just because it's made of plastic and feels light in their hands. I think Samsung devices have pretty good build quality, it's just the plastic and the weight that makes it feel "cheap" to some people.
I like your analogy of the falling paper, and allusion to Force = Mass x Acceleration. I wonder why so many people, i.e. CNET, don't get it and automatically assume that light smartphone = fragile smartphone. While I would never go so far as to say a light smartphone handles falls better, I would never suggest the opposite without objective data since ultimately how a device handles a fall has a lot to do with its internal design/construction.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
First of all, I like CNET. I think they do a decent job at reviewing products. Do not forget: They declared the "S" the best Windows Phone ever made, so I am pleased with them. :-D

Samsung does not make cheap phones, they use inexpensive material. Yes, I prefer the feel of an HTC, Sony-Erikson, or Motorola in my hand as well. The are made from great feeling materials and have a little "heft" to them that is missing in Samsung. But you will not find a pattern of Samsung phones shattering, breaking, or cracking from normal wear and tear. The are very durable, especially the top end Samsungs like the "S", the GS2, or the Skyrocket. Sammy puts a lot of effort into their products. Now, I would rather go back to using a rotary dial phone on the wall of my house than use some of the lower end Samsung products. Those bottom feeder, low end Androids that our Korean friends put out are junk, pure and simple. But I am totally at ease with the guts and backbone of our Focus "S". I am willing to bet our little sibling the Focus Flash is equally as tough.

I put a case on mine. I like the "heft". I do not think it needs it to survive.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Lightweight is not a disadvantage in my view, I like the feel of the Focus S. Since almost every device gets 3.5 'stars' in the ranking system, you have to take the ratings with a grain of salt, but they usually provide a lot of detail.
Jessica and Molly write pure fluff, I don't take them seriously at all.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I actually went to the Microsoft Store yesterday and held the Focus S. Although it is very light, I do not think it is fragile. I am pretty sure it would survive a drop, possibly even better than my HTC Titan would.

I still hate plastic though, but that's why we have Nokia and HTC. Though I do think polycarbonate is technically plastic. Special plastic. :p

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I've grown sick of Samsung's ridiculously light plastic phones, but they're extremely durable and pretty well made. Samsung needs to take a lesson from Nokia on how to make plastic phones look and feel good.

M

mykllee

I've grown sick of Samsung's ridiculously light plastic phones, but they're extremely durable and pretty well made. Samsung needs to take a lesson from Nokia on how to make plastic phones look and feel good.

+1. If the S wasn't so darn slippery, it would be simply perfect! Love the way it looks, but c'mon Samsung, do you actually hold the phones you make?

Deathbyvegemite

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I love my Samsung phones, Im a clutz at the best of times, and I've dropped, slid, kicked and bounced both the Focus, and Focus S, and they still work perfectly. My Titan on the other hand, lasted only ONE slight drop and was toast!

Inka

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read, and from having compared both the Focus S and my GS2 side by side at the store, they appear to have roughly the same body, and both have Super Amoled screens.

That being said, check out this drop test that the chums at CNET probably would never have the nerve to try. Samsung makes solid devices and am loving my GS2. Hopefully I'll be rocking a Focus S soon!

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elKxgsrJFhw[/YT]

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, and from having compared both the Focus S and my GS2 side by side at the store, they appear to have roughly the same body, and both have Super Amoled screens.

That being said, check out this drop test that the chums at CNET probably would never have the nerve to try. Samsung makes solid devices and am loving my GS2. Hopefully I'll be rocking a Focus S soon!

Click to view quoted video

Yeah, I think the Focus S is the WP7 version of the GSII.

E_man#CB

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm a fan of Samsung's build quality. The materials they use may not feel the best, but they are more durable in a lot of ways than metal phones (and certainly glass phones). Plastic can flex and absorb impact. Metal phones won't flex and most of the force of the drop is basically absorbed by the glass. Glass cannot flex either, and it shatters.

The build materials could use some work, but the quality is great for avoiding damage.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a 1st generation Focus and its not fragile. I keep it in my old Blackberry leather case and have dropped it many times. The phone doesn't have a single scratch on it.

As you can see in the video IPhone = fragile. ****, an entire industry has been created just to repair them.

I have a buddy who opened a shop that does nothing but repair IPhones and he is making a fortune.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I guess there is something to be said about having a phone with a plastic body vs Alloy. The plastic will absorb better, right?

Jaer007ll

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro