Anyone dealing with this? New Phone won't time out

rpactwa

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
:mad:
After a lot of research, I decided to go with the Focus S, although after about two weeks the screen time out function stopped working. This applies even after it was replaced by the store and has no apps on it. Has anyone heard of this lately and be able to shed some light??

While I like the phone a lot, if this is a bug, I would have to replace it later today or tomorrow and unfortunately go with a non-windows phone since my in store replacement rights expire in a week. The problem causes the battery drains much faster and I obviously won't want to tolerate turning it off after every use.

I did read a thread about several users have the issue, one of which ended up having to get a replacement battery mailed and waited about five days. I would have to think that swapping out the to a new phone would address this. It know it seems odd since I don't see a lot of noise hear on it here. Tech support only said to do a soft reset (battery removal and reinsert) and if that does not work, a hard reset which strips the phone. I don't feel I should have to go through this with new phones.

I am hoping someone can help me solve this or I will have to go another type of phone.
I will probably have to do this today or tomorrow otherwise I lose the priviledge to swap out to another phone.
Thanks in advance.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
First I have heard of this on any WP in 16 months. Do you have a case on your phone holding a button down?

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

rpactwa

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
First I have heard of this on any WP in 16 months. Do you have a case on your phone holding a button down?

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
I checked and the button is clear of any obstruction.

A little more basic info. - under settings/lock & wallpaper I have the screen time set for 30 seconds.

I see after a full charge last night, my battery is down to 80% after turning it on an hour ago and no calls. This won't due. I don't feel yanking the battery out again, so I will try another tech support rep in an hour after getting some work done! (been distracted by this lately!)

mrwrx

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I checked and the button is clear of any obstruction.

A little more basic info. - under settings/lock & wallpaper I have the screen time set for 30 seconds.

I see after a full charge last night, my battery is down to 80% after turning it on an hour ago and no calls. This won't due. I don't feel yanking the battery out again, so I will try another tech support rep in an hour after getting some work done! (been distracted by this lately!)

There were a few threads about case-mate tough case holding down the camera dual stage button down slightly that caused the sleep/battery drain issue. Do you have any case on your phone? Why not take it off for a day or two and compare the results?

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I think you have a bad phone. I've had my Focus S since December and the only time I've heard of anything remotely like this was because of a case pushing pressing a button.

If you haven't already why not set up Windows Live and Zune accounts so you can back up your media and contacts and try the hard reset. What do you have to lose, if you change to a different phone you're going to have to re-enter your infomation anyway.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

rpactwa

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Good points!
I am currently using a casemate. It is the $45 dollar one that AT&T had provided. I will check this out. This case actually has a soft rubbery layer then a hard shell that goes over it. I will play with this. I will also order another one or two ebay covers in the meantime.

On the zune back up, good suggestion. I will do this shortly as well. I am actually excited about getting things going with Zune, so this will give me the nudge. Keep in mind this is the second new phone within a few weeks, I am going to give it some careful testing before I consider another swap.

Update: after doing another soft resetand removal of the case, the time out is working. This leads me to believe it is probably one of two things. One, it may be the case. I will test this with and without the case. Secondly, the only other change was that I had de-installed the application whatsapp prior to the reset. I don't know enough to say whatsapp is causing the issue, but will test it.
Thanks guys!

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi, had the same problem with phone and case mate tough case. Fix is this; get a razor blade and shave the back of the inside rubber buttons, the camera and the power button. Good luck!

casio556

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I avoided this same problem by purshasing a Case-Mate Barely There CM017837. I also use a NiteIze Cargo Carrying Case Tall for further protection. Haven't had any problems at all with the phone, except for operator stupidity.

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
I had the same problem with the same case, the Case Mate tough case.

My issue was when the phone was in my pocket, the case would flex and then press one of the buttons down (either power or camera) and leave the screen on. The battery would drain rapidly as the OP said. Took the case off and have not had the problem since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa