7.8 success on Focus S?

mike_miller151

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Forced it with seveneighter....took 45 minutes.......3 phone reboots..... no issues with live tiles....installed all language packs..... works beautifully althought a tad less responsive than 7.5,... Let it run until it done, you will think it's hung, but the software will tell you when it's finished.

rwmadmin

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
hi gang.. running a locked AT&T Samsung focus, rev 1.3. was unable to get the wp7.8 update via the zune force trick (this worked on all previous updates).
tried for days, just would not pick it up...

in process of trying the seven-eighter right now.. will let you know results..
selected all languages.... is taking a long time.. waiting...:kiss:

OK it finished, took a couple hours, and several (like 5) phone reboots. running wp7.8 just fine now.
all data was retained, music, photos, email, txt, etc. quite the nice tool and glad it worked so well. Be patient, took quite a while. just let the Seven-Eighter do its thing.

Last edited:

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey everyone, you should be selecting all of the languages. But if you are worried, these are all of the ones that were on my ATT - Locked - Mango - Focus S

X Chinese Traditional
X Chinese Simplified
X Czech
X Danish
X Dutch (Netherlands)-
X English (United States)
X English (United Kingdom)
X Finnish
X French (France)
X German
X Greek
X Hungarian
X Italian
X Japanese
X Korean
X Norwegian
X Polish
X Portuguese (Portugal)
X Portuguese (Brazil)
X Russian
X Spanish
X Swedish

KG363

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Response from Samsung:

Hey_______ -- we don’t have any information on this update right now, but please check back for news!

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I know it's not the original Focus, but I was able to update my Focus Flash using "7.8er".

I ran into an error the first time I tried, but after reverting back to my initial version, because it failed after a the 2nd phase of the update, and selecting "All" of the language packs (only selected one initially) it updated and runs fine.

Podunks

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Finally got updated!! Turns out I had tried to update, and then canceled mid way before, thinking the application had hung up, and feared it would crash my phone.

I reverted to my last backup, which 78er had taken earlier this month, and tried again with all languages, and wahlah!! Good to go!

DaHui623

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Is anyone else having serious battery issues? I often go from 40% to 0 in the blink of an eye. Then charge it for a few minutes and be back up to 60%. I've ordered a new battery and hope it will help. But it seems like the OS isn't correctly syncing with the battery.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
yeah, DaHui623, I was going to mention it but you beat me to the punch lol. Usually my phone would last for around 2 days normally, now I can barely get a day out of it. I don't know why, I made sure to turn off background tasks so unfortunately I might go back to 7.5 just because of the battery drain.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
okay so from what I can discern its a live tile problem where on 7.5 if a rogue live tile kept trying to pull data wp7.5 would shut it off where 7.8 will not. I saw that my battery estimator gave me 11 hours left, now that I unpinned my weather tile and stopped it from running a live tile and any live tile that I didn't find absolutely necessary, like baconit, my battery indicator doubled my battery life instantly. I also turned off bing wallpaper, so I don't know what is causing the problem but it seems to be out of those apps...

DaHui623

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Ridemyscooter86, I had been suffering from reduced battery life for a while, unfortunately. But this is different. I can be at 50-60% battery and my phone will randomly shut itself off while in use. I have to do a battery pull to get it to turn back on and it will sound the "critically low battery" sound and immediately turn right back off. Then I can plug it in and turn it on and the battery indicator will be right back up to 60%. I'm assuming bad battery and I ordered a new one the other day.

As for the rogue live tiles, that is really lame. The whole point of upgrading to 7.8 was to get the new start screen and be able to pin more tiles. Oh well...

spd_rcr

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm not seeing any difference in battery life w/ the 7.8 update, but in recent months I've noticed battery life has been declining significantly. I think the battery is just getting worn out. Too bad the Focus S was such a flop, there's not an extended replacement battery available anywhere. Not much longer and I'll be ditching the WP for a Nexus.

a4dp

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Ridemyscooter86, I had been suffering from reduced battery life for a while, unfortunately. But this is different. I can be at 50-60% battery and my phone will randomly shut itself off while in use. I have to do a battery pull to get it to turn back on and it will sound the "critically low battery" sound and immediately turn right back off. Then I can plug it in and turn it on and the battery indicator will be right back up to 60%. I'm assuming bad battery and I ordered a new one the other day.

I've been having this exact same problem lately.

DaHui623

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been having this exact same problem lately.

I got my new battery in Thursday. After the first full charge I didn't charge again until it died and shut the phone off, 27 hours later. A huge improvement over the 8-10 I was getting and no unexpected shutoff.

The old battery was a little "swollen" in the middle so I'm pretty sure that was the culprit.

hoj1955

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
On AT&T. Did the cable pull trick. Worked for me. Other then the re-sizable tiles haven't seen much difference one way or the other. Still use my focus s as my daily driver mainly because it has an FM RADIO (hint, hint MS.) which I use daily.

ben55124

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Updated Focus S to the new today 7.8 8860 build. I used the updated 7.8er tool. Seems to work the same as before, but then I didn't notice any problems with the original 7.8.

hoj1955

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe the firmware updated, but to be honest I wasn't looking at that. It's currently 2103.11.10.1. My phone also updated to 8862 via Zune this weekend by the way. Seems to scroll as smoothly as my 820 now and the apps seem to load and run a little smoother and quicker with the update.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99