Just picked my Focus up

TiLoBrown

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I use gtalk to communicate with family. That way I don't have to pay for text messaging. Don't get me wrong the phone is second to none. I just bought to early for myself. Once it has been developed more then I will consider it again. The OS is seriously handicapped. It defeats the purpose of a smartphone if it is limited in so many places. Takes very long for apps to load, no cut and paste, no good apps, only alerts you get is text and email. Its just very early for me and I think 6.5 had more to offer. I hope it does well, and applaud anyone who sticks with it.

I've had it since it came out and the few apps I have dont take very long to load, all under a minute I'm pretty sure. "Good" is a matter of opinion so I wont comment on that, but I was wonder what other alerts were you looking for besides text and email?

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had it since it came out and the few apps I have dont take very long to load, all under a minute I'm pretty sure. "Good" is a matter of opinion so I wont comment on that, but I was wonder what other alerts were you looking for besides text and email?

gtalk, facebook, twitter, news updates. Once the phone's screen goes black you are signed out of everything.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
gtalk, facebook, twitter, news updates. Once the phone's screen goes black you are signed out of everything.

This appears to be true. It's especially surprising for facebook in my opinion, because there is the appearance of being always connected, but if you open the 'people' applet it always updates after you open it up. It just seems like it should be updating dynamically (if not via push, then at least every <insert appropriate number here> minutes so you're not waiting for a data refresh.

I have to believe Twitter is coming to the people app as well, but once again, if it isn't updating at least somewhat regularly, it sort of defeats the purpose. I hate to keep falling back to other devices and OSes, but the Blackberry Torch does an excellent job at staying 'always connected' with all presence-aware social nets you connect it to - I'd like to see WinPhone7 evolve to do the same.

There are so many things to love about this device, but there are also some very annoying, seemingly poorly thought out annoyances. This is one of them for me.

TiLoBrown

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Ah, only one of those I use is facebook and I already have updates from the people I want via txt message so I guess it doesnt bother me at all

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I ordered mine the other day when Amazon was having that $49.99 deal, but it's on backorder, so i probably won't see it until late next week.

I'm looking forward to it though - the concerns some of you have are actually pluses for me: I don't want dynamic updates because I can only afford the 200/month data plan, so having my phone checking for a lot of updates throughout the day isn't my thing - in fact, I don't want it transferring ANY data at all without my direct permission.

I would like to see SMS backup though, just for fun - it's not a big deal to me.

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I ordered mine the other day when Amazon was having that $49.99 deal, but it's on backorder, so i probably won't see it until late next week.

I'm looking forward to it though - the concerns some of you have are actually pluses for me: I don't want dynamic updates because I can only afford the 200/month data plan, so having my phone checking for a lot of updates throughout the day isn't my thing - in fact, I don't want it transferring ANY data at all without my direct permission.

I would like to see SMS backup though, just for fun - it's not a big deal to me.

I think the phone will be perfect for you.

lewiedude

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I returned my focus. I love the OS and think I will buy again once it gets a update and some apps. I live off of gtalk thats my only problem no useful IM apps. Im really sad though.

How long did you have it? I am a tad miffed at the pricing policy and lack of fair treatment to those that adopted early!

rijc99

Mar 5, 2007
Visit site

Remember to turn off auto backup of your pictures. That'll take a big bite of your data.

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Today's the big day! According to the tracking number, my focus left Oakland on Saturday, and should be on a truck at my local distribution center today! With some luck, the early morning shipping guys at UPS should find it, put it on a truck, and it'll lbe waiting for me when I get home from work! I'm gonna be refreshing UPS all day.

(And it couldn't come a moment sooner! The iphone 1st gen i've been using is breaking more every day - just last Friday, the vibrate function stopped altogether!)

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
....aaaaand it's here!

The amazon backorder took almost two weeks, but it's finally here, and set up. Getting my contacts transferred over was kind of a pain though. I had to sync the old iphone, export it's contacts to outlook, save it as a text file, upload it to google - EDIT the contacts so they would sync with facebook in the people hub properly, and then finally sync and resync google with the Focus to get it just right.

Still, I got it, and the screen looks amazing. Slightly terrified of scratching it though - my screen protector won't be here for a few days. I keep repeating to myself, "it's gorilla glass, it's gorilla glass..."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss