Class 10 sdhc Card did not work

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I purchased a Class 10 Kingston 16GB sdhc to use with this phone. I formatted the card and instead of adding the 16GB + 8GB on the phone, it only showed the 16GB. Everything seemed to work okay, until I tried to download apps - in the marketplace and in Xbox Live it would say it could not download because the phone was out of space. I tried this with the same result with 2 of these cards.

I had a Class 2 16GB from a previous phone so I put that in to make sure - with the Class 2 card everything works fine and I get the 16GB + 8GB that is already on the phone. I'm wondering what the highest class device I can use it - thinking about getting a Class 6 to test that.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
ha! Yeah, too awesome i guess. I didn't notice any difference in speed between the two in the camera - couldn't compare apps launch time obviously since it wouldn't download them. I didn't know AT&T recommended class 2 - I think I'll just grab a 32GB class 2 card then.

Thanks!

mharr

Jan 2, 2004
Visit site
I am using Sandisk 32gb Class2 card with no problems. Had the salesman in the store install it using just the instructions in the Quick Start guide. He then called me several hours later, saying he just got a "Service Advisory" saying that there were so.e reported problems with 32gb cards and radio interference problems. But I have not experienced any problems so far.

rojasnet

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Placed my order for a Windows Phone 7 today, and now want to order a good 32GB microSD card for the phone. The problem is what microSD card to buy and where? I read the following article which is a real interesting read (although a bit technical);

On MicroSD Problems ? bunnie's blog

So the question is, how can you be assured that the card you are buying is genuine and reliably? I have heard the difference between using a good and bad card are night and day, and basically means the difference between a stable device and a device that gives nothing but problems.

I am willing to pay the extra $$$ to get a genuine reliable card, but what card and from where?

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
i tried using the technique described in the paperwork..

it went to the "download mode" or whatever and was stuck there for 30 minutes.. i pulled the battery and it booted back into the os. i retried using the technique on here where you simply wipe the device through the "about" tab in the setting and it worked fine. showing 14+GB installed using an 8gb card. unsure of class, but it's a kingston and i haven't noticed any performance difference.

dougb

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I installed a Kingston 32gb class 4 microSD in my Focus today. Had to go through the language, time zone, Windows Live ID drill and then found that the card had not registered. So I did a hard reset and that did the trick -- shows 37 gigs.

I have downloaded 5 apps with no problem and everything seems to be working fine. Keeping my fingers crossed...

xamlcoder

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I installed a Transcend microSDHC 16GB class 6. It recognized it and I was able to use it, however whenever I did a power off (soft reset) the device would boot up into a clean OS (no data and no applications installed) that listed only 15MB of available memory. I tested this several times and got the same result. After removing the SD card I was able to do a soft reset without issue. It looks like only class 2 and class 4 are currently working. Anyone else get a class 6 to work?

Link to product:
Amazon.com: Transcend 16 GB microSDHC Class 6 Flash Memory Card TS16GUSDHC6E: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

My partner and I picked up 2 Samsung Focus phones last night. When the contract was being done the rep showed us a big red message on her screen from Microsoft. It said that they had discovered issues with using microSD cards in the focus and not to install any for the time being. It said that MS were workng on a fix but there was no ETA for it yet. Interesting.... saw someone else post about this....anyone run into problems? We did not install cards because of this yet...guess we will have to deal with a hard reset and a reload when it gets fixed....

DavidM

siradude

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
i tried using the technique described in the paperwork..

it went to the "download mode"

This happens if you press the VOLUME UP instead of the VOLUME DOWN as the paperwork lists.

It's just that the paperwork says "Press Volume DOWN +....." and I guess most people are fixating on the "+" sign and and pressing the UP button instead of DOWN

:)

Trailmixxx

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I installed a 32 GB class 4 Kingston. Did the soft reset in the "About" section of settings and it works fine. The only issue is when I try to sink LOTS of music and it gets past the 8 GB of internal storage, it gets realllllly slow. I hope they have a fix for that in the pipeline. I know they are looking into some sort to SD card issues, but im not sure which. I did notice that after a reset and reconfigure, if you let your phone chilll for a bit all of they apps that you previously installed, free, paid and trial will download and install. That is cool, but I would prefer only paid apps automatically install. There were some apps that i tried and uninstalled that I didnt want again that repopulated. Oh well.

mittortz

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you guys have seen the Engadget story yet, but it's got a lot of useful info on this subject.

Basically, buying high class speed cards has NOTHING to do with compatibility on WP7, and in fact, can actually have a reverse effect on performace. Apparently the important spec on compatible cards is the speed of random access, while a card's class refers to sequential throughput. SD card manufacturers are supposedly known to cut corners in order to increase sequential throughput speed (for a higher class), and often this includes making sacrifices to random access speed.

Which could be the reason why class 2 cards are frequently compatible - no sacrifices to random access speed. For more info, see the Engadget article
Windows Phone 7's microSD mess: the full story (and how Nokia can help you out of it) -- Engadget

Jhursh

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I sent a e-mail to sandisk and was told anything class 6 and up was windows 7 certified and Kingston said they did not support windows phone 7, but I have installed a PNY Class 10 from Best Buy ($10 cheaper than the PNY class 4 in the phone dept) and mine is working great! Now if mango would roll.....

Jim

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3