Great - Except for the buttons...

ThinkFr33ly

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Overall, I really like this phone. My only complaint is about the buttons on this thing.

First, the capacitive buttons on the front are WAY too easy to hit by accident. I've accidentally hit back or search at least a dozen times, and I've had this thing for less than 24 hours.

Second, although much less annoying than the capacitive buttons, the power button is in an incredibly stupid location. I've turn off the phone (er... locked it... whatever) about 5 times by accident so far.

Is Samsung going to eventually let us decrease the sensitivity of the capacitive buttons? If not, I can see this being a deal breaker for some.

Alas, the deal breaker for me is AT&T. I'm coming from Verizon, and despite the fact I live smack dab in the middle of a major city (Boston), I get 0 bars in my livingroom. My Verizon flip phone from 2004 gets a full 5 bars. I'll probably be returning the phone today... which kills me, because I have been dreaming about a phone like this for the better part of a decade.

Oh well.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
One thing that I find is weird is the fact that the capacitive buttons only light up once I hit one of them, and only for about two seconds. So basically they only light up when I don't need them to. I wish there was an option to have them light up whenever the phone is unlocked.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same problem. I'm wondering if I can rig something up with some sugru for when I want to play games on it.

joecatskill

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I wondered if the capacative buttons would have just this issue. I too am Verizon and decided that I needed to wait since my buddy with an AT&T flip phone need to leave our office to get signal while my Omnia gets all bars and EVO inside the office. Darn Verizon! Join the party soon!!!

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Alas, the deal breaker for me is AT&T. I'm coming from Verizon, and despite the fact I live smack dab in the middle of a major city (Boston), I get 0 bars in my livingroom. My Verizon flip phone from 2004 gets a full 5 bars. I'll probably be returning the phone today... which kills me, because I have been dreaming about a phone like this for the better part of a decade.

Oh well.
If the phone works well outside your residence, then it's most likely the building materials used in your house/apartment. In my apartment, the phone works really well, but perhaps AT&T's infrastructure is just better in my area (I live in Houston).

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I've never had a touchscreen phone before (coming from a BB Bold), but I'm getting the hang of it. I've noticed I've pressed the buttons less and less by mistake after day one, although I'm still getting used to the lock/off button placement, which I mistakenly press much more while the phone is inside a rubber case.

Odd about your AT&T issue. I live in Boston myself and it's definitely *the* city in which I've never had issues with reception (unlike NYC, SF, or LA). It might have to do with the building you're in. My roommate has T-Mobile and gets full reception outside out building, but nothing at all in the living room.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
AT&T has been surprisingly strong for me; T-Mobile, despite my attempts, has been complete fail (wish it wasn't).

Coverage is all relative <shrug>

Agree about the buttons, but you'll adjust. One issue I have is when I use my car holster (grips on the side), when it grips the phone it disrupts the capacitive touchscreen meaning I have trouble swiping and using the screen.

Sooks

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Funny that was your take on the buttons, i did a review on crackberry, and said how much i loved the buttons and how out of the way they were lol ... all a matter of what your used to i guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos