Backup and Restore

RJD1

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering after using MyPhone along with XDA on 6.5 and iPhone4 for a while I had an easy way of backing up and restoring phone or getting a new phone and restorign backup there. Is this option or similar process on WP7?

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm thinking that the zune software will backup and restore all your music, pictures and videos and your contacts will be backed up on your live account ... ? that would be my guess.

siradude

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Bump, I need to know how to do this. I may be crazy but I didn't see this in the Zune software.

Like stated above... Your contacts and Calendar are automatically sync'd whe using a Live/Hotmail/Gmail account with your phone. If you format your phone and re-configure it to use the same Live/Hotmail/Gmail account your Calendar and contacts will be automatically sync'd back into your phone.

Now Pics/Music/Videos are done through ZUNE.

First... Since the only way to get Music into your phone is via Zune we will asume you have the originals already on your PC Zune software.

The only issues are the Pics and Videos you take wih your phone.

Zune should have a default setting to back these files to your collection. You can verify this by selecting in Zune the "collection" tab and then "Pictures" and see if you have all your pics there. (Do same with videos)

If not then have phone pluged in to PC, In ZUNE, on the top click on "PHONE" then next to your username(top) click "settings" and on the left menu select "pictures & videos". (verify these settings)

Once everything you need appears in the Zune top tab "Collection" area then its in your PC.

You can now format your phone.

To palce the pics/music/videos back on your phone just drag them into the phone icon at the bottom of ZUNE.

By the Way. in my phone/settings/ "Sync Options" I have them all set to manual... I just like to copy over manually the stuff I want on my phone.

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
So there's no backup and restore? You essentially have to "rebuild" yer media content and apps collection every time you wipe the phone? That's going to get really old really fast.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
what about backing up my SMS/MMS - how do I accomplish that?
I'd like to know too. Yet another step they've taken backwards. Before you could sync texts to outlook or backup with my phone (I used the latter for backing up everything and it made my rom flashing/ hard resets so much smoother). They need to bring this feature back.

siradude, sorry that happened to you. Smh. WP7 needs proper backup and restore, asap.

gibbyhome

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
that is a good question about backing up sms, windows mobile did do the sms stuff and windows live does not even though it does have more features sms is somthing I did like backing up and reading them online

BWB8771

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
What about purchased apps? With me, I'd be lucky to remember just some of them if I had to rebuild from scratch.

With my WM6.1 phone, I used Sprite Backup once a week; being able to restore from a week-old backup saved my bacon more than once!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
hmm!! did a hard reset on my phone and this happened:

I pulled out my SD card Hard reseted my phone , put my SD card back in , did a second HARDREST and POW!!!

-contatcs
-APPS!!!!
-SMS!!!

where all reuploaded Automaticly. dint have to do anything . Evan the Order i had set my TILES on the main page was back !!

then i did a HARDRESET a third time to see if that w s normal , and NOTHIGN CAME BACK! ,, stupid phone lol.

got my hopes up!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb