Focus SD Memory

pkirby11#WP

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
So I'm just curious to see other's opinions on this but who here feels that with the huge fiasco that Samsung should have to send out authorized cheap if not free SD cards for users of the Focus? I'm only asking because it seems we either will be waiting a while to use a feature promised and hyped in the phone or we may never be able to use it. Yes I know it works for some but I hear more and more stories of it either not working or users running into the problem were it started to get slow after a while.

I just think that considering it seems the memory should have been installed at the factory that Samsung should just pull the expandable memory option and supply all the current users a SD card that works. Just my thoughts, was wondering what anyone else though. Are you generally happy with the phone? Are you using a memory card or not? My experience was less than pleasant using one so I'm back to the stock 8GB which isn't enough.

Pleas no obnoxious posts, this is just to get an idea of other peoples thoughts. Thanks.

anthonok

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
let just make a fuss about it like everyone did with the iphone 4 issues and maybe we can get free memory. Heck ill take even just 2 extra gbs haha

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
While it's definitely an issue, I'm not convinced it is hardware, but an OS issue with how WP7 handles the storage across two distinct storage areas. By combining the space you wind up with a much more convenient way to manage your storage; however, this feels sort of like trying to run a raid array using drives of differing speeds - asking for trouble.

I don't care about a free SD card - I already have a 32Gig one - but instead I want it to work, either as originally conceived, or as additional auxiliary storage if necessary - which can only be handled via an OS patch.

pkirby11#WP

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
While it's definitely an issue, I'm not convinced it is hardware, but an OS issue with how WP7 handles the storage across two distinct storage areas. By combining the space you wind up with a much more convenient way to manage your storage; however, this feels sort of like trying to run a raid array using drives of differing speeds - asking for trouble.

I don't care about a free SD card - I already have a 32Gig one - but instead I want it to work, either as originally conceived, or as additional auxiliary storage if necessary - which can only be handled via an OS patch.

I would mostly agree, however aren't other phones using SD Cards as a way to extend their storage? Like the HTC HD7 and the Dell Venue Pro? If they are able to install SD cards shouldn't Samsung have a card available that should work?

If it is just a software issue, as some are saying like Microsoft then no I don't need a free card because I knew going into that one of the selling points was adding my own storage of any size up to 32GB. But right now and my reason for asking for the free one is I'm not so sure there is going to be an update. Samsung, AT&T and Microsoft have all been very quite about this issue other than to say it doesn't work and wait for "Official" cards. But how much are these official cards going to cost?

I just think all three parties messed up and instead of informing their users they've kept us in the dark. I don't knwo about you guys but I for one am starting to get frustrated at the lack of concern for this issue. I wouldn't have bought this phone knowing I couldn't update storage and would be stuck with 8GB.

raremage

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I would mostly agree, however aren't other phones using SD Cards as a way to extend their storage? Like the HTC HD7 and the Dell Venue Pro? If they are able to install SD cards shouldn't Samsung have a card available that should work?
It's an operating system function, so if they are expandable you are correct - but I don't own either, so not sure. I know the Dell is having enough other problems, maybe they can't get to the storage problems yet :)

If it is just a software issue, as some are saying like Microsoft then no I don't need a free card because I knew going into that one of the selling points was adding my own storage of any size up to 32GB. But right now and my reason for asking for the free one is I'm not so sure there is going to be an update. Samsung, AT&T and Microsoft have all been very quite about this issue other than to say it doesn't work and wait for "Official" cards. But how much are these official cards going to cost?
Fair question. There's no reason for them to be significantly more expensive. What I would want is the ability to do a straight exchange between the 32Gig card I already bought for expansion and one of the 'certified' cards if I need to switch.

I just think all three parties messed up and instead of informing their users they've kept us in the dark. I don't knwo about you guys but I for one am starting to get frustrated at the lack of concern for this issue. I wouldn't have bought this phone knowing I couldn't update storage and would be stuck with 8GB.

And that's the crux of the issue for me. I'm tempted to bring the phone back to AT&T and swap it for one with more internal storage, but the fact is I wanted the ability to go beyond the 16Gigs in the other phones. Expandable storage was a significant factor in my decision to go with a Focus rather than the LG or even sticking with my already expandable blackberry.

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I think that the big differance between the SD cards in the HD7 and the focus is that the focus is combining the storage with the onbard memory. I think the HD7's sd card (which is behind a warranty voide sticker) is it's entire memory, so if you take out the 16gb (I think) card and replace it with the 32gb, you only get 32gb.

pkirby11#WP

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I think that the big differance between the SD cards in the HD7 and the focus is that the focus is combining the storage with the onbard memory. I think the HD7's sd card (which is behind a warranty voide sticker) is it's entire memory, so if you take out the 16gb (I think) card and replace it with the 32gb, you only get 32gb.

Yeah but I guess my point was, from everything I read that the HD7 and the Venue Pro, while not upgradable still used SD cards to expand the memory. So in theory why do those SD cards work but the one I buy off the store shelf doesn't? Why can't I get one of those cards? It's just frustrating that I can't up my storage and then by the time I can I'll have my phone setup completely the way I like it.

But I do like everyones thoughts, I'd agree I'd like to be able to swap mine out for a working SD card. I'm not really expecting something for free but having a replacement would be nice.

Oh well I guess I just wait and see right? Hope they find a fix and share it with us soon, because really this has been the only thing to ruin what was otherwise an amazing phone and a great launch.

subarunut

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I think that the differance is that the Venue Pro and the HD7 arn't expanding their memory. They are only using the SD card. The Focus is mixing 2 different memory types.

Does anyone know for certian what type of memory that samsung used for it's onboard memory? I don't think it is a SD style memory. I bet is is probally something more like RAM, NAND, etc...

bartsimpson

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
32GB MicroSD didn't work, now how do I reformat

My 32GB MicroSD card caused some spontaneous rebooting. After removing it I now only have 200MB available. Formatting s(in Win7) still only shows 200MB after completing.

Any ideas on how to get it back to 32GB?

bartsimpson

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
SD Card reformat

I actually have it out of the device and want to reformat it so I can use it in my PC. Do I have to do this with the phone?

briguy992

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Oh, you want to restore the card. Not good news. From everything I've read your card is toast.

Not exactly. You just need something like a Nokia N97 phone or something like that which can read the secured format of the card to reformat it. A lot of platforms don't read secured SD cards for whatever reason.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
My 32GB MicroSD card caused some spontaneous rebooting. After removing it I now only have 200MB available. Formatting s(in Win7) still only shows 200MB after completing.

Any ideas on how to get it back to 32GB?

Mind sharing what brand card you were using?

I've been holding off on my purchase of a 32gb card for fear of bricking my phone... hopefully Microsoft rectifies this soon

briguy992

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
Mind sharing what brand card you were using?

I've been holding off on my purchase of a 32gb card for fear of bricking my phone... hopefully Microsoft rectifies this soon

There is actually no working 32GB card. Kingston thought to have worked for a while, but then people started noticing reboots. So I'd say keep holding off until MS gives a list of officially supported cards.

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
There is actually no working 32GB card. Kingston thought to have worked for a while, but then people started noticing reboots. So I'd say keep holding off until MS gives a list of officially supported cards.

are there any 16gb cards that work? like for real, work 100% of the time all the time? or should we continue to wait for MS to use any card at all?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos