What cases is everyone using for the Focus?

breakdanzer

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. I just wanted to see what cases you guys are using at the moment, because I am trying to figure out what to buy. How do you guys like that certain case?

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's a thread on the Incipio Zagg Case. I think there was also some talk of cases used in the Official Accessories thread.

I'm not currently using a case but I have my sights on the Amzer Luxe Argyle TPU Skin (1st pic) or the Amzer Silicone Skin (2nd pic - notice how they don't show the back). I want something that provides shock absorption and grip, while not adding too much bulk.
89964p.jpg

89682-large.jpg

Amzer also makes these cases for Android phones, inclusing the Captivate and Galazy S, so there are already a good amount of reviews out there on Amazon, XDA and Android Central's forums. Amzer also has videos of the variations of the argyle case and the silicone skin posted on their YT channel and there are also some user video reviews too.

Initially I was leaning toward the silicone case but based on Amzer's previous silicone cases, I'm turned off by the possibility that it will have added bulk. I usually would stay away from the argyle case because of the design but based on what I've read and seen, the case is transparent, so the design is subtle. Also, the TPU used apparently is less prone to stretching than silicone. I read that some people had ordering issues/bad customer experiences with Fommy (which is operated by the same company as Amzer). The argyle case was supposed to be shipping today but when I checked the site early this morning, it said it was sold out (did they really get that many advance orders?). It's currently out of stock on Amazon too.

Last edited:

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I never understood the appeal of bulky rubber/plastic cases. Just get a nice protector like the Zagg "InvisiShield" screen protectors (the one for the focus comes with a front protector and a rear protector). These things are awesome, I've used them on all of my devices for the past 3 years or so.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I got the Amzer Silicone Case in Maroon.

Here are some pics:
5235424096_3491c50c5a_m.jpg

5234832881_c6805caf2c_m.jpg

5235445676_b3b6fe8b6d_m.jpg

5234838841_2434d3d887_m.jpg

5234840503_4b69c68d90_m.jpg

5235435256_f351c97b51_m.jpg

5235439104_d1b6f10ed8_m.jpg

5235440302_64b2242fd9_m.jpg

5234850525_7d99230287_m.jpg

5235436748_2ab8fcce43_m.jpg

Hope the lighting isn't too bad :(

Initial impressions:
I'm disappointed by the color (it's muted and dusty, I wanted it to be richer and deeper) and the seams are visible. Also, it's smooth and not as grippy as I expected. It reeks of a chemical (I guess silicone) smell.

On a positive note, it doesn't have the added bulkiness of the version for the Captivate.
As you can (hopefully) see, the buttons are covered. They're actually easier to press. The cover is raised and creates a rim around the top of the device - this exaggerates the curves of the Focus's design (which I don't like) but it also protects the screen when laid (or dropped) on its face.

I'll give more thoughts after I've used a bit more.

More thoughts a few days later:
Even though it has a smooth feel and doesn't have much texture, it does provide added friction and grip.

As mentioned before, the rim protects the screen when laid down or dropped on its face. Another added benefit is that it's almost eliminated accidental presses of the capacitive buttons. Before the case, this was a very annoying problem for me during one-handed operation and gameplay.

Although the camera button is covered by a raised nub, it doesn't interfere with operation. I can still depress it halfway and depress it fully with ease. It's possible that this might change over time but for now, it's fine.

As pictured, all the openings are generously sized. The headphone opening is large enough to accommodate the plugs of my earphones. The camera opening doesn't interfere with flash, as far as I can tell. I added a pic of the opening for the mic.

The case fits snug but I think it could be tighter. Only time will tell how much it loosens.

The case attracts lint and cat hair. :barf: I haven't noticed this attraction with the silicone case that I Use for my iPod touch.

Availability
The case is available for purchase on Fommy & Amzer.com for $10 + $5 shipping and on eBay for $12 + $0 shipping. It's also being sold on Amazon for $10 but I think they have the availability as "ships in 1-3 months". Correction: This silicone case is currently available on Amazon. The Amzer TPU cases were listed as shipping in 1-3 months but they're currently listed as "out of stock".

I've also ordered a cheap set of 3 tpu cases from Hong Kong and should be receiving that next week or the week after that...

Last edited:

leo5111#WP

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Updated my previous post on the Amzer silicone skin.

ya buttons are a little hard to use but im willing to deal with it because its a tough rubber case that will do a good job of protecting the phone if it hits the ground back or sides first

I think I ordered the same case (or a knockoff) from eBay. I hope the buttons aren't too hard but I intend to use every now and then just to get a change of color while still having protection, so hopefully it won't be too bothersome.

Syrinxx

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a $4 eBay silicone case. Looks like it's almost identical to the Amzer one. My only issue with it is that it grabs pocket lint like crazy! But it has already saved my phone during an accidental bump to the ground by my three year old.

tripower

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I never understood the appeal of bulky rubber/plastic cases. Just get a nice protector like the Zagg "InvisiShield" screen protectors (the one for the focus comes with a front protector and a rear protector). These things are awesome, I've used them on all of my devices for the past 3 years or so.

The reason is as opposed to you "InvisiShield" which provides ZERO protection in case of dropping the phone a Gel case will provide significant protection against dropping your phone on a hard surface such as concrete.

alan7467

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Incipio Feather case.

Thanks for the pics! I just ordered a Focus yesterday and have been looking at the available cases since the release of the phone. Not many options, but I've already had great luck with Incipio as a brand. Good products and great customer service.

Spyral

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
That looks very sleek and well-made. I like that it doesn't add to the phone's profile too much.

I'm not one to use cases, normally. My past smartphones never had cases because I hate the added bulk. If you couldn't tell, the case has that rubberized feel to it. I've used it for about a week now and I enjoy it, although I haven't had the chance to test it through a drop. My single complaint is that the opening for the camera button is somewhat narrow. This makes it difficult for me to operate the 'half-press-to-focus' feature on the camera.

apc_monk

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I am also using the Incipio Feather case. Doesn't add much bulk and doesn't seem to attract the lint and hair like the rubbery cases but still provides protection and good grip on the phone. Very satisfied with it.

lucazzo

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Currently using a BodyGlove, but don't know the model name. Plain plastic glove, in black, with diagonal lines at the back.

As a case it's not bad at all (the scratch marks on it could have been on the phone!), but it makes the camera, lock, and volume buttons pretty hard to hit. I have to press harder than I'd like in order to hit the buttons, and it also makes it difficult to distinguish between the up/down volume buttons.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. It's definitely not amazing, but it's already taken its beating to make it worthwhile.

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
another incipio case here. the only drawbacks are that the top and bottom of the phone are not covered by the case. the corners of the phone are, which is good because i think the majority of falls are absorbed by the corners. but the top/bottom area are not. i think this is particularly bad for the focus because the top and bottom are both curved upwards, meaning if the corners are covered by a case, even a direct landing on the top most part of the phone would leave that area vulnerable to damage irregardless of having the case on.

otherwise it's a cool case. i'll just try not to drop that damn thing.

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Currently using a BodyGlove, but don't know the model name. Plain plastic glove, in black, with diagonal lines at the back.

As a case it's not bad at all (the scratch marks on it could have been on the phone!), but it makes the camera, lock, and volume buttons pretty hard to hit. I have to press harder than I'd like in order to hit the buttons, and it also makes it difficult to distinguish between the up/down volume buttons.

Overall I'd give it an 8/10. It's definitely not amazing, but it's already taken its beating to make it worthwhile.
Is this the one you're talking about?
samsung-focus-body-glove_pdi.gif

Spyral

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
the only drawbacks are that the top and bottom of the phone are not covered by the case.

Yeah. I understand the top not being covered since the USB and headphone jacks are up there, but the bottom only houses the mic hole. They could have protected that a little better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3