Weird Focus Screen Issues

jhzafrani#WP

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I have been using a HTC surround for the last couple of weeks and finally got my Samsung Focus today. Upon configuring the phone, I set the brightness to the highest and compared it with the HTC Surround. To my surprise, when using the light theme, the Focus is actually not as bright as the Surround on the highest brightness. It is so bad, that it is very hard to read email on the light theme. I have had my Surround on that theme since I got it.

Using the dark theme, it is brighter but not when using the outlook app since it only works in light theme.

Anyone else experiencing brightness issues with their focus? I am wondering whether or not I got a bad unit.

Thanks,

Jim

electricbopeep

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
That sounds about right. Anandtech measured the brightness of the Surround, Focus and these were their findings on the highest setting:

white point / black point
HTC Surround - 405.7 nits / 0.88 nits
Samsung Focus - 234.3 nits / 0 nits

I haven't been bothered by it (yet) but your observation is valid.

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
It's a little dark for me too. What's weird (at least on my device) is that if I open email, the white background is initially bright white but like a split second later darkens.

I do know that the white background sucks the hell out the battery due to the AMOLED screen.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
It is not an issue with the device. It's one of the pros and cons you have to weight when choosing between the 2 devices. I noticed it when playing with both phones side by side @ ATT when I went to the office app.
Focus offers brighter more vibrant dark colors.
Surround offers brighter clearer light colors.
Over all I felt the Surround had the best picture between the 2.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The white screen brightness issue has been bothering me as well.

I've noticed that it depends on the number of pixels on the screen that are white. The more pixels that are white, the more the screen brightness goes down. This is why you see the brightness difference between the start screen (set to white), and email, as the email UI has more white pixels, compared to the start screen as it has the tiles filling a large portion of the screen.

It more then likely has to do with the Focus SAMOLED screen. It wouldn't be a such a problem if we had the option to set the background colour of the email UI to dark. I've also got an LG Optimus 7 which does not have this problem. It displays true white colour, but the blacks appear grey.

I guess it's the trade-off we get for true blacks on the Focus.

Mrkdilkington

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the dimming as well. To me it is very annoying and significantly reduces picture quality. If it saves battery because of the OLED screen, that's fine, but give me the choice instead of forcing it on me.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed the dimming as well. To me it is very annoying and significantly reduces picture quality. If it saves battery because of the OLED screen, that's fine, but give me the choice instead of forcing it on me.

To stop the dimming , go to screen brightness and take off the AUTO brightness.

so evan on the LIGHT theam it should bright as day!!!

when u click on ur e-mails doh it still DIMs outs a little but the rest of the phone stays Bright

I was haviing a issue where it ALWAYS dimms out at random it seemed second i took off the AUTO dimming it fixed the problem!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05