08-24-2011 11:48 AM
79 1234
tools
    My fear is that rapid soft resets are a precursor to bricked Focus phones. I was really hoping there would be something in the NoDo that would address the issue, but that seems unlikely. Right now I have less than 2gigs of media so I can get by for the time being. I wouldn't get rid of the card, just ice it until a proper fix is available. It'll just be a pain in the butt to re-sync all my contacts and music.
    03-08-2011 06:53 PM
    I have had a Kingston 16 GB HD class 4 card since I got my Focus in November and haven't had issues. My son's Focus has had an 8 GB PNY card since December and hasn't had problems. However, neither of us has gone over the stock memory space.
    03-13-2011 01:53 PM
    SanDisk 32GB microSDHC class 4 - no problems after 5 weeks
    03-16-2011 09:46 PM
    I have added a 32G Class 4 Kingston to my Focus on AT&T back on Dec 25th. It shows a total of 37.07GB of memory with 8.01 GB Free. I have 17.22 GB of Zune Music (3235 songs). I have 2.88 GB of pictures (9266 Pictures). I have 5.83 GB of podcasts. I have 4.2 GB of reserved space. I don't see anything that tells me how many applications or how much space but I am sure I have over 100 applications including many large games. I also have a business Exchange account with 10 years of email history and several thousand emails. I also have a 10 year old hotmail account with all the history on the phone. I also have smaller gmail and yahoo accounts. I have a fairly active facebook account.

I had the phone since the initial release and I cannot tell any difference in performance or problem level with or without the microSD orther than I have everything I want right at my fingertips all the time. The amount of podcast content goes up and down by 2 - 3 GB each day as I cycle through the content durning my commute to and from work.

I have not had a bad crash or loss of data. I have had market place go into a mode where it tries to load and then just drops back to the main Metro screen and the only way to get it to open is to power all the way down and restart. I also have a number of applications in market place that report they need a update that downloads and never installs. I was having both the marketplace not loading problem and the update problem for the two months before I added the MicroSD.

The only thing I am missing that I use to have on my Zune HD is the several hundred audible books I have from Audible.com. When the audible reader comes out I will have to either find a 64GB MicroSD or make some music vs. audible book tradeoffs.

I really hope Microsoft/Samsung/AT&T? whoever else Microsoft can blame figures out how to do updates without resetting the phone. I sure don't want to search for and reinstall all my content again if the Samsung phone cannot do the backup.

Note: I had the AT&T store install the 32 GB MicroSD on the first day of the release of the Windows Phone 7, but the clerk at the store did not know how to do it correctly and he did not tell me he did not know how to do it. it was not formatted correctly and failed. I then saw all the problem reports so I took it out. I bought 3 more Samsung Focus phones on my family plan and decided to try the MicroSD myself on one of the new phones. This time I followed the instructions rather than let the AT&T guy install it and it worked fine. I then moved it over to my original phone and reformated it again and have had no problems.

Bill Walter
    03-17-2011 06:42 PM
    I've noticed that even without the memory card the phone will occasionally freeze for a few seconds. Sometimes I can hit Home and that takes care of it immediately. It's slightly annoying but doesn't happen nearly enough for me to worry. Much better than a phone that randomly soft resets, lol.
    03-19-2011 03:43 PM
    Sandisk 16gb class 2 works fine.
    03-20-2011 01:56 AM
    I have used this card since Nov 2010 and have not had a single problem. No reboots, no freezing, nothing. The phone just works.
    03-24-2011 01:34 PM
    ****o everyone!

I'm brand new to this forum as well as WP7. I've been following WP7s development for quite some time and finally decided to punt my iP4 to the curb. I couldn't be happier. The awesome part is that I don't even miss the iPhone.

Now on to the actual point of this post! I picked up a PNY 16gb cardClass 2 two days ago and haven't had a single problem. I've put about 14gb of music, movies and photos on it so I've used well past the 8gb internal memory. Today I walked into work and noticed some new PNY 16gb Class 4 and 10 micro SD cards that say '' Now compatible with Windows Phone 7". So I guess I'm just wondering if I should return my card and grab one of these. The transfer rate would be much better with on of those I'm assuming.

So any insight would be greatly appreciated. They are going for $44.99 (Class 4) and $49.99 (Class 10).
    04-18-2011 12:50 PM
    went to frys and bought a Kingston 8gb for about 13 bucks, working fine. I used This youtube video to install. Working great and its been over a week...

dm
    atlanta ga
    04-18-2011 09:12 PM
    Got a 16gb sandisk class4 from radioshack for 30 bucks, installed before the update. updated unofficially, then got the "samsung" update. it has survived two resets

hope this helps guys i got it a few weeks back and i think its still on sale
    04-22-2011 10:05 AM
    Kingston 16GB Class 4 here with no issues.
    This is the one I have, good to see a good one. It's about the 3 day mark. Nothing noticable, and because of nodo, everything works better.
    Last edited by CJ Thunder; 04-27-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    04-22-2011 01:10 PM
    Day 1 with a patriot 16gb microsd. So far so good.... I have over 10gb of music on it now. everything seems to be running fine. I went with Patriot because the price was much cheaper ($30) and if it didn't work out, I could just take it back to Tiger Direct store.
    04-26-2011 07:06 PM
    I'm using one of Sandisk's "Certified" (since they pulled the list) 16GB Class 4 Micro SD card. Going on a week now (I installed Nodo after I got my phone Friday then put in the card and reset the phone afterwards) and it's working like a dream I havn't noticed any problems at all.
    04-27-2011 12:45 PM
    I got the SanDisk microSDHC_16GB (SDSDQY-016G-A11M) from Amazon.com for like $19 US.

While it is only a class 2 card, it works perfectly. In fact, the class and speed rating mean absolutely nothing in our phone. Those speed tests are done doing sequential data reading/writing test. The way they work in the phone, that does not mean all that much. The problem the SD cards have is with the speed of random accessing of data, and the class rating does not take that into account. The class is irrelevant. And everybody saying I have an "Manufacture Xgb class #" means nothing, each manufacture has 50000000 different SD cards with those class numbers and sizes.....
    04-27-2011 01:45 PM
    I got the SanDisk microSDHC_16GB (SDSDQY-016G-A11M) from Amazon.com for like $19 US.
    I have the same card, no problems in about three weeks that I've had it.
    04-27-2011 01:58 PM
    I haven't had any problems since I updated to NoDo... I had the terrible random reboot problem pre-NoDo with my 32GB cards, but now they're working fine... still keeping my fingers crossed though, just in case.
    04-27-2011 09:58 PM
    Nodo was supposed to finally put "actual" support for the SD cards right?
    04-28-2011 07:56 AM
    I had a brain fart and realized my old Moto Droid came with a 16gb SD card. I've had it in for 2 weeks with 10gb used and so far no issues.

Too bad I realized my old Moto Droid had a SD card 2 days after I went online and bought one :(
    04-28-2011 08:07 AM
    I had a brain fart and realized my old Moto Droid came with a 16gb SD card. I've had it in for 2 weeks with 10gb used and so far no issues.

Too bad I realized my old Moto Droid had a SD card 2 days after I went online and bought one :(
    Haha awesome stuff. :P

So far my patriot class 4 16gb is working well. I've noticed some choppiness at times, not sure if thats the card though.
    04-28-2011 06:51 PM
    not at 3 weeks yet... but I am at 15 days...

This is actually a class 4 SDHC, not a class 2 as stated.

I did a triple format of the device and card AFTER I had the No-Do update applied. No issues whatsoever.

Now, before the No-Do update, the card was never working how it should have. Rebooting constantly, media disappearing from the device (I'd have to reboot to have everything come back.) Just horrible issues in general. Granted, this could have been traced back to the Rev. 1.4 issues...

but since I got a new version of the Focus, Rev. 1.3, and No-Do, AND the triple format of the SDHC (I read somewhere, not sure where, and I don't know why, but a triple format did wonders!), my phone is running perfectly... (((knocks on wood)))
    05-15-2011 09:09 PM
    I have been using this since I got my phone in January.
    Newegg.com - Patriot Signature 16GB Micro SDHC Class 4 Flash Card Model PSF16GMCSDHC43P

Works great, I haven't noticed any slowdown whatsoever.
    06-10-2011 11:36 AM
    SanDisk class 4 16 gig, no restarts, works great

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express
    06-10-2011 12:50 PM
    SanDisk 32GB Class 4, going on week 3 (or 4, i forget) with 11gb free. I am also on NoDo (it was already installed on the phone when i installed the card for the first time)

no problems as of yet, the only thing i've noticed is sometimes games or apps take a little while to install after the download is done, but i never used my phone without the card, so i don't know if it's normal (it does seem fairly normal to me)

otherwise, working great! (knock on wood)

:D
    06-11-2011 01:29 PM
    Yes I am so afraid to put my memory card from my BlackBerry in my Samsung focus I wish someone would tell me if its ok to do that or will it erase things off my WP7 Plz reply if you already had your memory card on another device & put it in your WP7/Samsung focus. Thanx :)
    06-13-2011 10:51 PM
    Yes I am so afraid to put my memory card from my BlackBerry in my Samsung focus I wish someone would tell me if its ok to do that or will it erase things off my WP7 Plz reply if you already had your memory card on another device & put it in your WP7/Samsung focus. Thanx :)
    Any memory card you put in a WP7 device will not be recognized (read) until you perform a hard reset of your phone, which will format and encrypt the card, easing everything on it. Transfer what you want from the card to a PC, and then after installing/reformatting on your phone, use Zune to transfer your music, photos and video. If the stuff on your card is anything else, you can't read it on you phone anyway.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    06-13-2011 11:37 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD