Micro SD successes - 3 weeks or more

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
After my SanDisk 32GB Class 2 finally stopped letting my phone even boot, I purchased a Patriot 32GB Class 10, since installing about 2-3 weeks ago I haven't had any of the random reboot problems I was having with the SanDisk card. Very pleased so far.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Going 3 weeks strong with my SanDisk 16GB, model #SDSDQY-016G-A11M. I specifically purchased that card because it's one of the five cards SanDisk listed as being compatible with WP7 (before ultimately pulling the list). So far I haven't had any major problems although I did have the screen lag once.

ApexMan

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
1 month on a Kingston 16GB class 4 card... I droped about 11 gigs of music on it and have about 40 megs of pics and 1 video. I've noticed that the Marketplace is slow to scroll now and sometimes there is a long delay for a game to load, otheriwse phone is working fine. Note: When browsing marketplace it is on my home wifi too

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Curse my luck, got my first random reset today. I'm seriously considering taking the SD card out my phone and just trying to survive off the 8 gigs until Samsung finally pushes out a firmware update. And with Samsung's record that should probably be between now and never. It'll be a lot simpler to wait for MS to fix it for them.

tuffluck

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Curse my luck, got my first random reset today. I'm seriously considering taking the SD card out my phone and just trying to survive off the 8 gigs until Samsung finally pushes out a firmware update. And with Samsung's record that should probably be between now and never. It'll be a lot simpler to wait for MS to fix it for them.

which they won't do...

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Got my second reset today. No choice left put to pull the card when I get off work. :(

At least it was only 24 bucks.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't jump the gun yet. My Surround has spontaneously soft reset 3 times in the past two days. Since November I think it has happened two other times. Otherwise the phone is working fine. May be a device problem or something going on externally. Where are the damn updates.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
My fear is that rapid soft resets are a precursor to bricked Focus phones. I was really hoping there would be something in the NoDo that would address the issue, but that seems unlikely. Right now I have less than 2gigs of media so I can get by for the time being. I wouldn't get rid of the card, just ice it until a proper fix is available. It'll just be a pain in the butt to re-sync all my contacts and music.

emark858

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I have had a Kingston 16 GB HD class 4 card since I got my Focus in November and haven't had issues. My son's Focus has had an 8 GB PNY card since December and hasn't had problems. However, neither of us has gone over the stock memory space.

wqwalter

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Good luck with 32G Class 4 Kingston

I have added a 32G Class 4 Kingston to my Focus on AT&T back on Dec 25th. It shows a total of 37.07GB of memory with 8.01 GB Free. I have 17.22 GB of Zune Music (3235 songs). I have 2.88 GB of pictures (9266 Pictures). I have 5.83 GB of podcasts. I have 4.2 GB of reserved space. I don't see anything that tells me how many applications or how much space but I am sure I have over 100 applications including many large games. I also have a business Exchange account with 10 years of email history and several thousand emails. I also have a 10 year old hotmail account with all the history on the phone. I also have smaller gmail and yahoo accounts. I have a fairly active facebook account.

I had the phone since the initial release and I cannot tell any difference in performance or problem level with or without the microSD orther than I have everything I want right at my fingertips all the time. The amount of podcast content goes up and down by 2 - 3 GB each day as I cycle through the content durning my commute to and from work.

I have not had a bad crash or loss of data. I have had market place go into a mode where it tries to load and then just drops back to the main Metro screen and the only way to get it to open is to power all the way down and restart. I also have a number of applications in market place that report they need a update that downloads and never installs. I was having both the marketplace not loading problem and the update problem for the two months before I added the MicroSD.

The only thing I am missing that I use to have on my Zune HD is the several hundred audible books I have from Audible.com. When the audible reader comes out I will have to either find a 64GB MicroSD or make some music vs. audible book tradeoffs.

I really hope Microsoft/Samsung/AT&T? whoever else Microsoft can blame figures out how to do updates without resetting the phone. I sure don't want to search for and reinstall all my content again if the Samsung phone cannot do the backup.

Note: I had the AT&T store install the 32 GB MicroSD on the first day of the release of the Windows Phone 7, but the clerk at the store did not know how to do it correctly and he did not tell me he did not know how to do it. it was not formatted correctly and failed. I then saw all the problem reports so I took it out. I bought 3 more Samsung Focus phones on my family plan and decided to try the MicroSD myself on one of the new phones. This time I followed the instructions rather than let the AT&T guy install it and it worked fine. I then moved it over to my original phone and reformated it again and have had no problems.

Bill Walter

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that even without the memory card the phone will occasionally freeze for a few seconds. Sometimes I can hit Home and that takes care of it immediately. It's slightly annoying but doesn't happen nearly enough for me to worry. Much better than a phone that randomly soft resets, lol.

jyoho1981

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Lexar 8gb Class 4

I have used this card since Nov 2010 and have not had a single problem. No reboots, no freezing, nothing. The phone just works.

calmlydefyinglogic

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
New cards!

****o everyone!

I'm brand new to this forum as well as WP7. I've been following WP7s development for quite some time and finally decided to punt my iP4 to the curb. I couldn't be happier. The awesome part is that I don't even miss the iPhone.

Now on to the actual point of this post! I picked up a PNY 16gb cardClass 2 two days ago and haven't had a single problem. I've put about 14gb of music, movies and photos on it so I've used well past the 8gb internal memory. Today I walked into work and noticed some new PNY 16gb Class 4 and 10 micro SD cards that say '' Now compatible with Windows Phone 7". So I guess I'm just wondering if I should return my card and grab one of these. The transfer rate would be much better with on of those I'm assuming.

So any insight would be greatly appreciated. They are going for $44.99 (Class 4) and $49.99 (Class 10).

jmad328is

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Got a 16gb sandisk class4 from radioshack for 30 bucks, installed before the update. updated unofficially, then got the "samsung" update. it has survived two resets

hope this helps guys i got it a few weeks back and i think its still on sale

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720