08-24-2011 11:48 AM
79 123 ...
tools
    alright, post up your success stories with micro SD cards. 3 weeks or more with no problems, including reboots, slow uploads, or anything else that you think may be attributed to the micro sd cards themselves.

i had a kingston 32gb and experienced the slow uploads after a couple of days, so gave up on it.
    12-03-2010 12:32 PM
    Well I'm only at two weeks, but I don't want to be left out.
    I've got a ScanDisk 8gig in and have had no issues at all. No freezes, no reboots. Just a phone that I prefer hands down to my iPhone.
    12-03-2010 04:55 PM
    Well I'm only at two weeks, but I don't want to be left out.
    I've got a ScanDisk 8gig in and have had no issues at all. No freezes, no reboots. Just a phone that I prefer hands down to my iPhone.
    do you mind posting which class (maybe even a link)? thanks.
    12-03-2010 06:28 PM
    I have installed an 8GB Lexar class 6 and have had zero issues. :-)
    12-03-2010 10:09 PM
    See this link for current working and non working micro SD card for Focus.
    Working SD Cards list - xda-developers

I have installed Kingston 8G class 4 for 3 weeks now and do not have any problem. I did power off a few time to check and still see the 8G memory working well. Phone did not slow down or anything
    12-04-2010 10:23 AM
    I have a 16 gig sandisk installed on Nov 8th release day and have never had a unexpected reboot never had a lockup of anykind this works awsome
    I do think Microsoft was right about a hit or miss on this issue ...
    Oh and its a Class 2 from radio shack
    12-04-2010 01:06 PM
    I have a 16 gig sandisk installed on Nov 8th release day and have never had a unexpected reboot never had a lockup of anykind this works awsome
    I do think Microsoft was right about a hit or miss on this issue ...
    Oh and its a Class 2 from radio shack
    Yeah, I've got the exact same card and have had all kinds of problems. :(
    12-07-2010 09:47 AM
    i'm starting to think it really depends on the particular phone.
    12-07-2010 10:05 AM
    any type of update on this? Anyone else with experiences? Looking to buy a 32gb card and getting impatient
    12-13-2010 06:06 PM
    Been using my SanDisk class2 16GB card for 4 weeks now. No problems at all!
    12-13-2010 10:24 PM
    I've been using a kingston 16gb class 4 for over a week and so far so good :). I've noticed a bit of a keyboard lag, but not sure if this is the cause for that.
    12-14-2010 03:38 PM
    And sorry, I realized after that this was for 3 weeks or more.

This is why you shouldn't do this while at work!
    12-14-2010 03:47 PM
    I put in a 8G that i had in my WM Omnia 2 , it has pre loaded pictures on it and MS filles in it but for some reason my phone is not reading them ???

how do i search the card??? or how do i get my phone to reconize pics and Files on it???
    12-16-2010 01:28 PM
    I put in a 8G that i had in my WM Omnia 2 , it has pre loaded pictures on it and MS filles in it but for some reason my phone is not reading them ???

how do i search the card??? or how do i get my phone to reconize pics and Files on it???
    i don't think that will work. you'd have to format it. if you do a hard reset it might boot up properly and be reading the card.
    12-16-2010 03:18 PM
    Just got my Focus today, slapped in my 32gb San Disk Class 2, and am now transferring about 20gb of music. It's working like a dream, really transferring fast!
    12-18-2010 01:30 AM
    Just got my Focus today, slapped in my 32gb San Disk Class 2, and am now transferring about 20gb of music. It's working like a dream, really transferring fast!
    give us a update whether it drops data or makes device reboot etc...thanks
    12-19-2010 02:01 PM
    i've had my microcenter 16gb card for over 2 weeks and it's working fine. it is also probably the cheapest 16gb available at $29, local pickup for me.
    12-20-2010 10:45 PM
    Just bought this Sandisk 32gb card. Hopefully everything works out alright with it

Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC Card Class 2 (SDSDQ-032G-A11M, US Retail Package): Electronics
    12-21-2010 12:54 AM
    Just bought this Sandisk 32gb card. Hopefully everything works out alright with it

Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC Card Class 2 (SDSDQ-032G-A11M, US Retail Package): Electronics
    i think you're best off returning it right now. almost every 32gb has been tried to date and none have worked yet.
    12-21-2010 10:05 AM
    i think you're best off returning it right now. almost every 32gb has been tried to date and none have worked yet.
    well if it ends up not working I'll just ship it back for a refund.
    12-21-2010 11:46 AM
    well if it ends up not working I'll just ship it back for a refund.
    oh, the problem is that it may work for a few weeks and then crash. i just am forewarning you not to be convinced it is working fine after a few weeks, which could also push you out of your warranty period for the card.
    12-22-2010 11:19 AM
    oh, the problem is that it may work for a few weeks and then crash. i just am forewarning you not to be convinced it is working fine after a few weeks, which could also push you out of your warranty period for the card.
    Oh, got it. I'll keep that in mind.
    12-22-2010 12:44 PM
    I've had a Sandisk 8GB class 2 SD chip in the phone for just over 1 month now, no issues at all. I'd say that's a good one.

Not knowing about the SD kerfluffle, I went out and bought a Wintec filemate 16 GB class 10 chip today (music beginning to fill up the phone, but couldn't find any 32 GB at Fry's...), then went searching for instructions to get phone to see the new memory when I ran into the press release and KB article saying not to!
    The good news is the new chip is working fine to start with, plenty fast in resyncing my music collection and an hour's dinking around. I'll update in a coupla weeks with longevity info.

--- 4 hours later ---
    No need to wait, this Wintec chip did not work out. The phone worked fine until I did a power down (power key, "Goodby"). On next power up, phone was reset to default settings in one case and refused to boot up at all in next case (hung at black screen / "Samsung" screen forever). I think the power down is a good quick test, we don't always have to wait for weeks and weeks.
    Last edited by BobHy; 12-24-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Additional info
    12-23-2010 11:31 PM
    Been using a Kingston 16GB Class 4 for about 3 weeks. No issues to report since I've put it in. So far, I've used 14GB of the combined 22.12GB of storage.
    12-24-2010 06:34 PM
    That there are already a few cards that are known to work with the Focus. Not so much a new or suprising listing, more just a confirmation of things you've seen hinted at:

SanDisk cards, Class 2 or 4, are known to work. Class 6 will probably work, but given the higher price, insignificant performance diff (a faster mSDHC doesn't speed up the rest of the phone, after all) and the difficulty in finding it, this has not been confirmed yet.

Kingston Class 4 cards work, Class 2 is iffy. Depends on the specific one you get.

Other brands have not been tested extensively, but most respectable one (PNY, Patriot, etc) should work with Class 4, and possibly with Class 2 and 6.

HOWEVER:
    No 32gb card is known to work, as of yet. The reasons are complicated; the root cause of the mSDHC issues has to do with the random-access read/write speeds, as discussed earlier (the rumors of power-draw issues are incorrect). But, above 16gb, the architecture of the cards is different enough that, even with well-matched speeds, the cards cannot be used properly by the phone.

This doesn't mean no 32gb card does work, and this issue may be resolved over time, but currently, I wouldn't bother trying.

To Summarize:
    Get a Class 4 card, 16gb or less, from a high-quality brand. SanDisk should work for Class 2, as will some Kingstons.

Also, if you look, Samsung and AT&T now offer a small number of cards listed specifically as being compatible with the Focus. They are SanDisk Class 2s. Sold for a premium from either site, as you may expect.
    12-27-2010 04:08 PM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD