Got the Focus, not liking so far!!!

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Now let me say, i'm not gonna bash the iphone 4 because I read the site alot and I hear people constantly talk about how the switched from iphone 4. That's what I had before and my little brother begged me for it and he now is the proud owner of a iphone 4.

Now i've been playing with the focus for 2 days now and I have some complaints.
No custom ringtones is a joke, the tiles are ok but i'd much rather just have a a wallpaper. The facebook integration is ok but I expected better. The power button is a issue because it cuts of when in a loose pocket. The sound quality is great on calls. For some reason I can't send videos. There is other things but i'm not gonna keep naming them. It seems to be a good phone but i'm thinking of buying another iphone 4 unless i'm missing something great about the focus.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Remember, the iPhone and iOS is a mature operating system at this point. Many of the complaints you have sounds like many complaints of the original iPhone owners when they first came out. The Windows Phone 7 OS is new, and you'll see many enhancements in the coming months. So if you are patient, and are willing to think differently about how a smartphone should behave, then stick with the Focus. Once updates come out, and new features are added, you'll be happy. But if it's not living up to your expectations, then get a phone that you are happy with. Try an Android phone if you are bored with the iPhone and looking to try something new.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I had the captivate which was pretty cool, I rooted it and installed froyo but the lack of flash was ridiculous and every phone now has android. Also didn't really like the screen(samoled my arse lol). So that's why I went with the focus. I'm still messing around with it. We'll see what happens. A funny thing happened though. I loaded some songs and contacts and apps onto the phone after I installed the micro sd card. I was speaking to my dad and mistakenly did something to the pin on the sim card. So I removed my micro sd card and battery and of course the phone became inoperable. So I held the volume down, power and camera buttons at the same time and the phone went back to the state it was in before my error. Really weird but glad it came back.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
Agree with NickA, WP7 has just started out, give it a bit of time. However, as a first go, I think Microsoft did a good job. I like my focus, its fast, easy to use, and the screen is very good. The main feature I am waiting for is tethering.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
I had the captivate which was pretty cool, I rooted it and installed froyo but the lack of flash was ridiculous and every phone now has android.

I have the Fascinate (Verizon's version of the Galaxy S). I'm rooted as well, just to remove all the bloatware put on by Verizon. I'm still waiting for Froyo, which was promised a long time ago.

TiLoBrown

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I thought I would hate the lack of custom ringtones but I actually dont and I never had a problem with the phone turning off while in a pocket.

L3vi

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I thought I would hate the lack of custom ringtones but I actually dont and I never had a problem with the phone turning off while in a pocket.

I'm not sure why some people make that out to be such a big deal. Custom ringtones are nice, but hardly anything to complain about. Besides, likely to come about in January update. And if not then in the massive update coming in Q3 of next year.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
"...tiles are ok but I'd much rather have a wallpaper..."

umm no offense intended, but did you even look at the phone before you bought it?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
"...tiles are ok but i'd much rather have a wallpaper..."

umm no offense intended, but did you even look at the phone before you bought it?

lmao!!!!!!

=========================

well u could take out ALL the tiles. and chaneg the background on your lock screen

boom your done cause i mean if you take otu all the tiles your phone = usless , unless what u wnated was Wiggets like android , but thats what tiles are . so ... meh

Be glad you got rid of you 5 year old technologie iphone 4

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
"...tiles are ok but I'd much rather have a wallpaper..."

No offense but I clearly stated that the tiles are ok. To the post above, no i'm not trying to have widgets ala android. Also please don't compare this phone to the iphone 4. I said i'm not here to bash. In my opinion so far the iphone is head and shoulders above wp7 but it's also a very polished os. I came here to get more info about the wp7, not to say which os is better.,

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
No offense but I clearly stated that the tiles are ok. To the post above, no i'm not trying to have widgets ala android. Also please don't compare this phone to the iphone 4. I said i'm not here to bash. In my opinion so far the iphone is head and shoulders above wp7 but it's also a very polished os. I came here to get more info about the wp7, not to say which os is better.,

How are we not suppose to compare it to the iPhone 4? In your first post, you're clearly comparing it to the iPhone 4. Everything you have stated are limitations in your eyes and a cause to "possibly" return to the iPhone 4. Nothing we can do about those limitations, but sit and wait for an update. Or there is a growing community of WP7 "jailbreakers" that will bring homebrew to those adventurous enough. For starters, they've already hurdled custom ringtones and unlocked some diagnostic tools for the Focus. Either way, MS is going to roll out with an update to address these issues and add additional features. And they have promised commitment to push them on a timely manner.

I say if these are deal breakers to you, then buy a phone that suits you. All you're going to get are opinions on why these missing features are not important, because we love the phone for it's other strengths and potential growth. And I'm sure you're not looking for opinions.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
How are we not suppose to compare it to the iPhone 4? In your first post, you're clearly comparing it to the iPhone 4. Everything you have stated are limitations in your eyes and a cause to "possibly" return to the iPhone 4. Nothing we can do about those limitations, but sit and wait for an update. Or there is a growing community of WP7 "jailbreakers" that will bring homebrew to those adventurous enough. For starters, they've already hurdled custom ringtones and unlocked some diagnostic tools for the Focus. Either way, MS is going to roll out with an update to address these issues and add additional features. And they have promised commitment to push them on a timely manner.

I say if these are deal breakers to you, then buy a phone that suits you. All you're going to get are opinions on why these missing features are not important, because we love the phone for it's other strengths and potential growth. And I'm sure you're not looking for opinions.

Actually that's exactly what i'm looking for! I want you guys/girls opinions and thoughts on what the things about the focus/wp7 that you like. I know what android and ios do but like you said they took care of the focus custom ringtone situation already. How can I do that? I'm interested in different things that wp7 can do. Y'all are more knowledgable about wp7, so i'm trying to learn more about it. BTW please reread my first post, I never compared the focus to the iphone 4 and further more, let's drop iphone 4 out of the convo. I'm trying to learn wp7 and that's it. Thx for any input.

NickA

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
@tre-nitty, I know what you are talking about. I used the iPhone 3gs, and still use a Samsung Fascinate (Android) as my main phone. WP7 seems a little lacking when you see what those phones have to offer out of the box as far as customization goes. But I'm being patient as I know Microsoft and they like to be #1 at everything, and this is no exception. Some one as MS made the comment that in the next 3 years, WP7 will define the mobile market for the next 10 years (or something like that). I like getting in at the ground floor and growing with the OS.

Anyway, my HD7 is a cool phone, something different (was getting bored with Android), and I like how simple it is to use.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
focus Like/dislike

- awsome screen :p i compare my to a guys iphone 4 , iphone 4 might be better but doesnt look as good ( i find )

- XBOX LIVE!!!!! WOOT!!!

- wp7 has the same if not a BETTER potential then other phones for app and game qualaty

- LIVE tiles!"!!! Interactive live updates ( something no otehr phone offers as sufisticated as the wp7) well WEBOS does but meh , screw PALM lol

- did i alredy say XBOX LIVE!!!!!! lol

- ZUNE Marketplace ( again this is awsome if u alrtedy use it on ur Xbox live account )

- evan doh your stuck with tiles its still 100% more customisable then the Iphone : *cough* the iphone is 0% custimizable*cough* unless u change to location of ur apps , lol

Dislike:

- Battery life BLOWS but altease i get my day done ( i think thats on all Wp7 )

- hmmmmmm

- hmmmmmmmmmm

- hmmmmmmmmmmmm :

- MS hasent came out with a cross platfor game YET!!! but they said its comming in 2011. so i play on my cell and you on your xbox at the same game same time ( witch is gona be AWSOME!!!! again if u have an xbox live account )

- aside fromt hat the other stuff i dont like are ALLLL gona get fixed in future Updates,

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
For me it's xbox live games, netflix streaming, and a fresh new OS that is different from anything else on the market, and has nowhere to go but up.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
I love the operating system, the screen, and the zune integration. Zune, with the Zune Pass, is so much better for my wallet that the iTunes ecosystem. You see, I am one of those iPhone 4 switchers. I miss exactly two things from the iPhone: Hulu, and a good IM client, both of which I think we will see. I love how much better my phone reception is with the Focus (orders of magnitude better!) and how smooth and non-tappy the OS is. That is the thing I got sick of with my iPhone 3G and 4. You want to do something? Tap, tap, tap, tap. Wanna do something else? Tap, tap, tap tap, tap. WebOS and WP7 are different. There are swipes and slides as well as taps.

wheelerk

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I had the captivate which was pretty cool, I rooted it and installed froyo but the lack of flash was ridiculous and every phone now has android. Also didn't really like the screen(samoled my arse lol). So that's why I went with the focus. I'm still messing around with it. We'll see what happens. A funny thing happened though. I loaded some songs and contacts and apps onto the phone after I installed the micro sd card. I was speaking to my dad and mistakenly did something to the pin on the sim card. So I removed my micro sd card and battery and of course the phone became inoperable. So I held the volume down, power and camera buttons at the same time and the phone went back to the state it was in before my error. Really weird but glad it came back.

You did a hard reset. :)

falconeight#IM

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I was traveling to and from Germany these past two weeks and almost everyone I had seen with a phone had an iphone. Its popular because regular people don't like fusing with tech and just want everything done for them. WP7 is headed that same direction but it will be better. The OS is amazing IOS is old, dated, and boring.

tre-nitty

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Well I tried the phone and it's just not for me right now. The pone has it's pro's such as the samoled, the quickness and speed of the phone but the many bugs/cons are to much. The phone has powered down 10 times easily for no reason, the battery is horrible, not being able to send a video is a joke, no copy/paste which I hear is coming in a update but who knows when that'll be. Maybe after a update the phone will be a better purchase for consumers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo