Windows7 explorer

arai

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Why is it when I plug my WP7 phone into my WIN7 machine windows explorer does not see it but when I plug in an ipod or itouch into my WIN7 machine it does see it?
I just think that dragging and dropping from your phone to your computer or vise-versa is easier than going through Zune.
Or maybe I am just missing something here and can be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks,
arai

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Currently WP7 doesn't support a drag drop device manger. Only can do it with Zune. I think there is a side loader though for unlocked devices.

Sent from my htc Surround using Board Express

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I used to use MP3 players that required (or supported) drag and drop... but once I began using some sort of music library (i.e., Zune, iTunes, etc.) to manage my device... I don't think I'd ever go back to a drag/drop method.

It's not easier. What could be easier then plugging up your device and having it automatically sync your new music, videos, pics, etc. based on your initial configuration (from device --> computer and vice versa)?

It's not faster. Having to open up the directory on the device, then open the directory of your music/files. Or you could use an app to automatically sync two folders, which you would have to launch, click on start, etc. etc.

For example, when I connect my WP7 device, Zune automatically launches, syncs new music between both my phone and computer. It excludes tracks that I've marked as "don't like" and it only syncs the videos and pictures folders that I've selected. It also updates play counts, etc.

In any case, as action jackson said, it currently does not support a "disk mode" and we're not sure when/if that will come to be. So... I would ask, why do you NOT like using the Zune software to manage the media on your device?

EDIT: Not to mention the wireless sync capability. Most days I don't even connect it to my computer... my phone is charging next to my bed overnight.... In the morning I turn on my PC in the living room and 5 minutes later, they're syncing wirelessly.

Last edited:

arai

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chsoriano. I guess I am going to have to figure out all of this syncing stuff. The reason I have been against it in the past is because with five different ipods and such in the house and my computer being the main one that is used for all of the management of those ipods syncing was not feasible. Each one of of our tastes are different and not everyone (kids and parents) wanted each others music on their ipods. Off to a new world. Wish me luck.
arai

chsoriano

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks chsoriano. I guess I am going to have to figure out all of this syncing stuff. The reason I have been against it in the past is because with five different ipods and such in the house and my computer being the main one that is used for all of the management of those ipods syncing was not feasible. Each one of of our tastes are different and not everyone (kids and parents) wanted each others music on their ipods. Off to a new world. Wish me luck.
arai

I understand what you're saying, it can be difficult to manage multiple devices with 1 computer and 1 media library. However, I would suggest to make use of the "Never sync with" option. This will allow you to mark media to not sync with a particular device(s). Good luck, hope you don't get frustrated :)

arai

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I have it rocking now. All I have to do is utilize Windows Live and transferring between phone and computer is simple. Grant it not as easy as drag and drop but it is pretty simple to do.
arai

seaniccus

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
It's not easier....

It's not faster....

It is more precise, however - allowing you as a user to see exactly what's happening at all times. All of the different sync rules are confusing, and I've had the Zune software simply remove pictures from my phone without asking me. I've asked the Zune software to "remove from device" and then had it respond by adding content from the library into the device I didn't want.

It's not simpler, but it is "easier" and "faster."

The lack of app management is also frustrating. "3gigs" for "software from other computers" is a poor way to describe how much data my apps take up.

An alternative is the only reason i'm paying attention to the homebrew scene at all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo