screen burn in

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I use the orange on black theme. While was reading an email yesterday, I noticed the icons from the phone tile, message tile, as well as the circle/arrow indicator ghosted in the background. Anyone else seeing this? I switched the tiles around a bit to see if it would eventually go away.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you have it so your screen is left on? I don't think burn in is permanent, it should go away over time. The only technology that has burn in are plasma and projection TV. I could be wrong though...

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
the good thing is I only notice it on a white screen; the bad thing is, what's it going to look like in 6 months :/

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
It is very noticeable on the demo unit here at the local AT&T store. When I first saw the Focus (before the burn-in showed up) I was in love with it's screen, but now it kinda worries me. I've always tried to avoid screens that have the possibility of burn-in with Televisions/Computer monitors, so my gut is telling me to avoid AMOLED...as beautiful as they are.

Organic light-emitting diode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Screen burn-in: Unlike displays with a common light source, the brightness of each OLED pixel fades depending on the content displayed. The varied lifespan of the organic dyes can cause a discrepancy between red, green, and blue intensity. This leads to image persistence, also known as burn-in.

foosball

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
If it's anything like a plasma screen, then burn-in is not going be permanent. It washes out after the screen has some time to refresh the pixels, although it can take a little time.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I haven't noticed on mine yet, but only been using green on black, and blue on black. From what I've read, it should go away. Do you have your screen timeout set to stay on very long? Mine is at 1 minute.

braydee89

May 23, 2011
Visit site
this issue on my Omnis 7, the black "timeline" text from my twitter app is burnt into the screen and is visible on white backgrounds. Would appreciate any information people have on this, thanks.
Braydee89

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes i have tile graphics burn in on my Omnia as well, been there for months it doesn't go away.

Most noticible on the white of the official Twitter app loading screen.

(It's not drastic, but it is there)

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to see it too. If my screen is all white, I see the faintest shadow of the internet explorer control bar across the bottom.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to see it too. If my screen is all white, I see the faintest shadow of the internet explorer control bar across the bottom.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

It's the Phone & Messages tile icons i can see, very faint, you have to look for them but if you do, you can see them.

I was really annoyed when I first saw them, but hey ho, i've moved on since then lol :)

(And moved those 2 tiles somewhere else)

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Being a new Focus owner I'm not liking the sound of this. I have not seen anyone answer as to what their screen settings/timeout is yet. Curious if that has any influence on this issue?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have mine set to 1 minute and screen brightness set to Medium JBozz. (Don't like low as its very dark)

I guess I should have it on automatic, but i just prefer medium. :)

BC81

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Mine had "Conversations" burned at the top and the attach icon at the bottom. Called Rogers to complain as i have only had it for 5 months. Shipped me a new one and got it the next day :)

They said there would be a $35 charge for the "advanced replacement program", but i wasn't charged anything.

Now i use Medium and 1 minute.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Mine's on auto brightness with a three minute timeout. I noticed temporary burn in all the time, particularly on buttons on the app bar from IE since I spend so much time in that app. I've been seeing it for months but it's not really noticeable unless I'm watching the app bar animate before the buttons pop into view. Can't say it really bothers me that much; I get a new phone every 4-6 months so I'm not married to one particular piece of hardware.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I have mine set to high, screen timeout at 3 minutes, though I tend to lock my screen as often as possible. If i go to a white screen, like say the office app, I can now notice burn in objects all over the screen. I have 5 white circles at the bottom, and some words across the top that I can't read, in addition to the still visible call and text icons. It isn't that bad, but it is noticeable. That said, it doesn't bother me that much because I upgrade my phone quite often. Also, it won't be enough to deter me from getting the next version of the Focus when it comes out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers