Samsung Focus $49..WTF

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
If your phone is unsubsidized, then you don't need to sign a contract. It's just a matter of setting up an account and going. If you DO sign an contract, and also purchase an unsubsidized phone, that's your fault.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Then its not a subsidized price. Just cheaper to lock me in. New customer vs good customer mentality.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not. But in accounting, it probably is.

Every new BMW comes with free maintenance for the first 4 years. You think that is really free, or do you think they've factored the cost of that maintenance into the cost of the vehicle?

Michael.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
BMW also serves a full breakfast at their dealerships FYI. I'm still waiting for AT&T to serve breakfast when I go to renew my contract.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things, it's not. But in accounting, it probably is.

Every new BMW comes with free maintenance for the first 4 years. You think that is really free, or do you think they've factored the cost of that maintenance into the cost of the vehicle?

Michael.

Of course. Thats what I mean, we (the loyal custoemrs) all pay a higher price to subsidize new phones (new customers.)

BMW also serves a full breakfast at their dealerships FYI. I'm still waiting for AT&T to serve breakfast when I go to renew my contract.

I want me some free breakfast!

Why doesn't Bing Bar have a spell check?

SuperSport

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
Yes, come to think of it, I never received a lube job at ATT either. :blush:

Anyways, I got my Focus from WireFly for $0 with Free Shipping, No Tax, and got a $30 data plan rebate, = a net profit of $30 in my pocket. They never charged me a penny....

Last edited:

SuperSport

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
Of course. Thats what I mean, we (the loyal custoemrs) all pay a higher price to subsidize new phones (new customers.)
Yep, same with Cable and Home Phone Companies. They keep raising my rates and then offer new customers a year of service for less than half of what I would have to pay.

It really frustrates me that I've been keeping their lights on for many years and yet they offer a deal to someone who has not been loyaly paying them.

I've been fortunate so far to end up getting those deals for the past couple years anyways. I threaten to leave them for their competition (which I will do in a heartbeat) if they don't give me the same deal. I'm 44 years old now, and getting tired be being fleeced every time I turn around. Everything is getting more expensive, or less product for the same money. I've learned to fight back, just a little. :)

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site

That's one helluva BMW dealer. Mine has a nifty lounge w/ free wifi, beverages, and snacks. And it should, for a $200 oil change.

Michael.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
That's one helluva BMW dealer. Mine has a nifty lounge w/ free wifi, beverages, and snacks. And it should, for a $200 oil change.

Michael.
You have to pay for your oil changes? My dad leased a BMW and got oil changes for free the lifetime of the lease. Maybe it's an awesome dealer like you said...

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
You have to pay for your oil changes? My dad leased a BMW and got oil changes for free the lifetime of the lease. Maybe it's an awesome dealer like you said...

Maintenance is "free" for 4yr/50k (unless you pay to extend that maintenance plan to 6yr/100k).

I keep my cars longer than that...

Michael.

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got mine for $49, left my Android HTC Inspire 4G (that I got two weeks prior) to get this, I was able to exchange w/ the 30 day policy, pick up a nice case and a Micro SD card and walk out the door spending nothing.

Loving it way more than Android too

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, I am really enjoying the phone (only had it one day lol)

Goodeye is the name because I am blind in one eye due to a car accident I was in when I was a younger. I only have one Good eye lol.

When I play Halo and other games on the xbox people ALWAYS think it's because I'm good at FPS games....

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What didn't u like abou the inspire 4g.
I just got mine for $49, left my Android HTC Inspire 4G (that I got two weeks prior) to get this, I was able to exchange w/ the 30 day policy, pick up a nice case and a Micro SD card and walk out the door spending nothing.

Loving it way more than Android too

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The battery life was INCREADIBLY horrible. The Thunderbolt I can understand it's using 4G and an actual upgrade to current service verizon has, this phone for ATT however is only using souped up 3G the batter should not be that horrible, I turned off syncing services etc.

Plus I was sick of the fragmentation on android. One could argue that WP7 has some of that as well however I never dealt with it.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I keep hearing about fragmentation with Android but I don't see how that would affect the user. I got a capativate for a second phone, and yet to be affected by it.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I keep hearing about fragmentation with Android but I don't see how that would affect the user. I got a capativate for a second phone, and yet to be affected by it.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk

Really a topic for another thread but I'll give you M2C.

The issue with fragmentation of the Android platform shows in the length of time it takes to get updates in to the phones. Look at some of the Samsung phones that are just now getting Froyo. The problem is not with the Android the problem is being caused by the Manufacturer and the Carriers in my eyes they get the blame equally. Manufacturers are skinning the heck out of Android and the carrier crapware makes it harder for users to get the platform updates. All that combined with all the different devices that people are putting Android on like the different tablets and the tuns of different forum factor phones that is the issue and is what is causing the Fragmentation of the Android platform. That said Google is working hard on the issue.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but that's M2C

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Makes me wonder why carriers allow Apple release updates on their schedule. If Apple says its going to be release on a certain day, its there. I guess MS and Google don't have the pull Apple have.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Makes me wonder why carriers allow Apple release updates on their schedule. If Apple says its going to be release on a certain day, its there. I guess MS and Google don't have the pull Apple have.

See that's the thing Apple is feeding one phone that is all they have to deal with. That is what makes the WP7 concept so great we are getting the same great user experience over multiple forum factors with little fragmentation because MS wont allow carrier and manufacturer tampering. Only time will tell if WP7 will be able to keep it all together. Its a great concept that is why I turned in my EVO Shift (Great phone BTW) for the Arrive and I have been very happy with my decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro