Samsung Focus $49..WTF

tripower

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I just saw were ATT is now selling the Focus for $49, this and the lack of the update is not exactly filling me with confidence for the future of the WP7 platform.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think this price is a great way to get people to the platform. The average user most likely won't care what OS they're running. They're going to see the iPhone at $200 and the Focus at $200. Should be a good way to get new WP7ers. :D

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Microsoft is subsidizing this. They can buy $10MM in TV ads or sell 100K phones at a discount. More phones you get on the street at this point the better. Peer pressure is much more powerful than any commercial.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Bought mine from Target two months ago for $30.
I didn't know Target sold cell phones!

I was able to get my Focus for $49 back in January. AT&T price matches other stores and gave me one because Radio Shack was running it at that price.

TricBox

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Got mine and the wife's for a penny each just before Christmas. Figured I had nothing to loose to try a new platform for a penny. So far so good, just want the update. We'll see if we stay.

action_efn_jackson

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I've never paid more then 29 for any phone most certainly will never pay over 50. Like Jax said all phone but the iPhone go on sale.

Sent from my htc Surround using Board Express

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Check the website and you'll find phones for free some weeks. The at&t site always have better deals.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

thirdday2002

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought my focus through costco's website back in December for $49. (You don't even need a membership to buy online). They even threw in a car charger. At the time Microsoft was running a "buy a windows phone, get a Xbox 360 game free" promotion. I got the latest halo game, took it to sam's club, and got $62 store credit for returning it. When all was said and done I had a new phone, car charger, and an extra $12!

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The unsubsidized price for the Focus is $350 from AT&T (or $390 from mobilecityonline.com).

And that's just the business model in the U.S. -- Americans don't want to pay for a cell phone, so the OEM (and/or carrier) subsidizes the cost and recoups it w/ higher rate plans and data plans.

Michael.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The unsubsidized price for the Focus is $350 from AT&T (or $390 from mobilecityonline.com).

And that's just the business model in the U.S. -- Americans don't want to pay for a cell phone, so the OEM (and/or carrier) subsidizes the cost and recoups it w/ higher rate plans and data plans.

Michael.

Wow I'm surprised it's that cheap. It was $400 when I bought the phone. There are some phones out there that are $600-$700 unsubsidized. I'd buy an unsubsidized phone if I could use it on other networks or get some kind of service discount. Right now in the US there's not really any benfit to doing it other than being locked into a contract.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Michael.

Lies! As when I am off contract my bill doesn't lower. Hence it doesn't go higher to pay for my new phone, hence is communist in that we all pay for new phones!!!!! AHHH!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
reading all these stories, i'm kind of upset i got mine for $99. this is my own boy who sold me this. smh.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Wow I'm surprised it's that cheap. It was $400 when I bought the phone. There are some phones out there that are $600-$700 unsubsidized. I'd buy an unsubsidized phone if I could use it on other networks or get some kind of service discount. Right now in the US there's not really any benfit to doing it other than being locked into a contract.

Well, if you buy an unbranded phone, then depending on the bands, you would be able to use it on any network. For example, my Nokia N900 works on T-Mobile's 3G bands, but it will also work on AT&T's 2G bands (EDGE data speeds). I bought it unbranded from Nokia so I can use it on T-Mobile 3G or AT&T 2G with a simple SIM card swap. On top of not having to renew a 2-year contract w/ AT&T, I got unlimited data for $15/mo since I was not forced to sign up for a smartphone data plan. And since the phone is unbranded, I got all the features like tethering. And you're not at the mercy of the carrier for updates.

My Nokia N97 before that worked on AT&T's 3G network. Likewise, I got unlimited data for $15/mo and all the features.

I am really hoping that the Nokia WP7 phones coming will be available unbranded.

Lies! As when I am off contract my bill doesn't lower. Hence it doesn't go higher to pay for my new phone, hence is communist in that we all pay for new phones!!!!! AHHH!

Of course your bill doesn't lower, do you really think the wireless carrier would really do such a thing? Do you really think Samsung is making any money on the Focus if AT&T offered it for $50? Why do you think AT&T wants you in a 2-year contract? The difference between $350 and $50 is going to be recouped somewhere.

My sources are from friends on both sides (OEM and carrier), BTW.

Michael.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
This is a good thing, because of the sales model. When my beloved Palm Pre Plus went on sale, it was terrible, because palm was the only manufacturer, and we all knew that they were running out of money. Not the case with Microsoft.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Of course your bill doesn't lower, do you really think the wireless carrier would really do such a thing? Do you really think Samsung is making any money on the Focus if AT&T offered it for $50? Why do you think AT&T wants you in a 2-year contract? The difference between $350 and $50 is going to be recouped somewhere.

My sources are from friends on both sides (OEM and carrier), BTW.

Michael.

Then its not a subsidized price. Just cheaper to lock me in. New customer vs good customer mentality.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers