Just got A Samsung Focus

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
FedEx just delivered it, ripped the box open as soon as i closed the door, the first thing I noticed is that there is no SD Card in the little slot with the warning sticker on it, right next to the Sim Card holder. Isn't that where the 8GB SD card is supposed to be? Am I supposed to buy my own memory? Is this just extra memory & the 8GB is already on the phone? Somebody help me please.

IamNabil

Dec 10, 2010
alanbar.us
Hi! Congrats on your new focus! You do not need to put in a memory card, you have 8 gigs on the board. Please look around the forums and wpcentral before you throw in a memory card. It is not as simple as it appears!

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the WP7 world. You're going to like it!

@iamnabil wow I always assumed there was an 8GB card in there and if I upgraded I'd have to swap it out. The people at AT&T set my phone up for me so I didn't see what they did. Does that mean if I get a 16GB card I would have 8+16=24GB of space?

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the WP7 world. You're going to like it!

@iamnabil wow I always assumed there was an 8GB card in there and if I upgraded I'd have to swap it out. The people at AT&T set my phone up for me so I didn't see what they did. Does that mean if I get a 16GB card I would have 8+16=24GB of space?

Be careful though as adding memory requires a hard reset of the phone. Once you add it you also cannot remove it or you risk losing everything on the phone.

AT&Ts response to adding more memory to WP7: Go right ahead! | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Be careful though as adding memory requires a hard reset of the phone. Once you add it you also cannot remove it or you risk losing everything on the phone.

AT&Ts response to adding more memory to WP7: Go right ahead! | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews
Hmm yea I'm probably going to hold off as long as I can. It seems like the post what card works for you thread is full of people telling the world their phone keeps randomly rebooting. I'll probably wait until Microsoft fixes that issue.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
thanks y'all, but now the internet only connects over wifi, when i leave my house, I get no data connection, it's too soon for these problems

went to the at&t store, they didn't even have me on a data plan, that's why the data only worked on wi-fi. All is good now, I love this windows phone OS, but while I was at the AT&T store, you know I started playing around with other phones, those HTC phones make the Focus seem cheap. I was really loving that HTC Inspire, but I don't want Android. I hope they at least announce that HTC HD7S before my 30 day return period is up.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
went to the at&t store, they didn't even have me on a data plan, that's why the data only worked on wi-fi. All is good now, I love this windows phone OS, but while I was at the AT&T store, you know I started playing around with other phones, those HTC phones make the Focus seem cheap. I was really loving that HTC Inspire, but I don't want Android. I hope they at least announce that HTC HD7S before my 30 day return period is up.

and i felt the total opposite. the focus is on point, especially in the screen department.

i have a motorola atrix and it isn't as nice to look at and use compared to my focus. i'm not referring to the OS, but how beautiful and bright the screen is, the keyboard is more responsive and although they are both 4 inch screens, the Focus looks less congested.

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
and i felt the total opposite. the focus is on point, especially in the screen department.

i have a motorola atrix and it isn't as nice to look at and use compared to my Focus. i'm not referring to the OS, but how beautiful and bright the screen is, the keyboard is more responsive and although they are both 4 inch screens, the Focus looks less congested.

See that's the thing with me, I've been in awe of how beautiful the screen is since I bought my Focus 2 days ago. I'm loving the people hub too. But now I trying to find apps that I can't live without like a google reader app, a google voice app, a yahoo messenger app & a good craigslist app. Everything sucks, Im not getting any notifications. I might have to put this WP7 thing on hold until this "mango" is released. Especially with all the recent announcements about what's ahead for WP7. I have a feeling that it wouldn't be wise to get stuck in a 2 year contract with the Focus, I should wait it out a little bit.

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Think I'm about to head on over to Best Buy & get my Samsung Focus back, I returned it so I can wait for the HTC HD7S. Best Buy has the Samsumg Focus for free with a new 2-year contract. I keep weighing my options: Focus/Free Right Now or HD7/$199 Maybe Next Month. I only wanted the HD7S because it looks like a Evo, has more memory & the screen is a little bigger. But is it really worth waiting for and paying $200 bucks for, when I can get another Focus for free? Plus I'm starting to hear some bad things about the T-Mobile HTC HD7. I heard the build quality sucks. I don't know people, I need my WP fix now, this back-up Blackberry Bold 9000 that I'm using in the meantime is not cutting it

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Think I'm about to head on over to Best Buy & get my Samsung Focus back, I returned it so I can wait for the HTC HD7S. Best Buy has the Samsumg Focus for free with a new 2-year contract. I keep weighing my options: Focus/Free Right Now or HD7/$199 Maybe Next Month. I only wanted the HD7S because it looks like a Evo, has more memory & the screen is a little bigger. But is it really worth waiting for and paying $200 bucks for, when I can get another Focus for free? Plus I'm starting to hear some bad things about the T-Mobile HTC HD7. I heard the build quality sucks. I don't know people, I need my WP fix now, this back-up Blackberry Bold 9000 that I'm using in the meantime is not cutting it

the focus and the hd7s will both be upgradeable to mango, so that shouldn't even be an issue.

as for the phone choice, personally, i love the focus as a 4" screen is perfect imo as it's not too big, not too small, samsung puts excellent cameras in their phones compared to htc as well (again, imo), also i have this card on its way to me from amazon, and i've heard good things about it working well with the focus:

Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC Card (SDSDQ-032G-A11M, US Retail Package): Electronics

i'd suggest going to a tmobile or best buy and trying out the hd7 as they should be very similar phones.

personally, i'd rather have the focus than an hd7 variant and then pick up some gen2 wp7 hardware later, if i had to wait though, i'd wait until the end of summer and get neither the focus or the hd7s.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
yea, worst case, get the free one, and when the mango/gen2 handsets come out, sell the focus and use it to offset the price of an off contract device... :)

as for google voice, aren't there a couple 3rd party apps that work well in the marketplace?

i swear i remember wpcentral doing a review or writing something about it...

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I got my Focus back, I ordered it last week from Costco for $.01, It also came with free shipping, a free accessories pack with a car charger, leather case & headset. I also ordered from the WPCentral Store, a black Mobi Products Hard Shell Case to protect this baby. All this for under $20. I'm back in business, I just activated my phone yesterday and haven't put it down yet. I'm not gonna worry to much about upcoming phones & specs right now and just enjoy this Samsung Focus once again that i got for a whole penny, not $200 bucks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss