32GB SD cards that actually work?

JohnMKeynes

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought this:

SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC Card (SDSDQ-032G-A11M, US Retail Package)
Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB MicroSDHC Card (SDSDQ-032G-A11M, US Retail Package): Electronics
Sold by: GO-DPS (seller profile)

The format went well however as soon as I get filled the phone above 8GB I noticed that Sync slow substantially. Eventually after the sync my phone would crash and perform a reset. Did this twice.

So should I go ahead and give up on trying to expand my memory? I am willing to get at least 16GB so long as it's reliable. Really bummed about it now working since 8GB is simply just not enough for storage.

I bought another card:

SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card (Bulk Package)
Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card (Bulk Package): Electronics
Sold by: BlueProton Consulting (seller profile)

Inserted this card which I first formatted on my computer with fat32 quick format(lost my unlock). Then I formatted with Mango RTM 7720 three times since on another forum this supposedly helped.

Currently syncing past the 8GB threshold however, noticed quite a reduction in speed when transferring past this point. The last card in the quote instantly crashed at this point. So will be testing throughout the week then if all goes well, will go through the process of trying to unlock. I use three batteries so I constantly swap out the battery. If this thing works, this will prevent me from either upgrading to a newer Mango phone(unless Nokia comes out with something special).

Here is a reference thread for other people testing out SD cards:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=17001252#post17001252

rocksteady

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Well no matter what card I've used it always syncsdlower when it get above the initial 8gb. But with the 32gb card listed above, I've had zero issues

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I didn't quite follow the Keynesian approach, but I did insert the same card successfully on a new Focus following an OS restore. Sure hope Mango installs as easily as the two WP7 updates I got on my post-32-insertion, initial Focus PC install.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I think I will favorite this topic so I can be ready for all of this to happen when I try to install my memory card LOL. I already know I'm going to need more than 8gb with music alone

heidemann

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I installed a 32gb Sandisk cat4 card on a v1.3 Focus with the latest 7390 update (not Mango, not unlocked) about 3 weeks ago, loaded 26gb of media on the phone and have not had a single issue. No hangups, no freezes, no unwanted resets.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the info heidemann nice to know I may go ahead and try installing the card before mango or wait.

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Have any of you had problems with Zune desktop software erroring out with a 32gb SanDisk card?

I currently have a 32gb Kingston class 4 card in mine, have for a while, and while the data is retained past resets the Zune software doesn't like loading lots of data onto my Focus and needs me to restart the unit.

I am able to load lots of data easily over wifi sync but that seems to be more tolerant of the slowdown.

Does the 32gb SanDisk cards that you all have work better than what I've reported?

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Nope, no problems. I would definitely just stick to the above listed one from amazon.

This is great news to hear, please put up with a few more questions.

How much space have you used on the phone? Do you upload data through a USB cable or over wifi syncing?

And if you do load stuff over wifi syncing would you mind trying to get a video file onto your phone through USB and reporting back? 500mb-1gb size

Last edited:

rocksteady

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I've got about 26gb of media.

I generally use USB cable for syncing, but I have done wireless sync before. I have a few videos that size, no problems.

It definitely does sync slower once u get past the initial 8gb. But no big deal. Whenever I've dine big syncs just do it overnight anyways.

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
And loading up files over night doesn't cause the Zune software to error out?

Sorry for asking so much but I'm just wondering before pulling the trigger.

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Yeah I have. It would say something like the "phone has stopped responding, please restart the device."

So, I take it nothing like that has happened? :)

I don't care if it slows down to upload stuff just the whole stopping thing really sucks.

rocksteady

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, never stops. Not sure if anyone else had had stopping problem though. But I can say that I've used 2 of these cards myself (phone stolen), plus another for a buddy of mine and had no issues

Kon-Aitor

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Just received my 32GB class two from the Bulk Package link above(gota love Amazon Prime).

Trying to format it now. Will give it a try later today, hope it will all work well.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I ordered and installed the same Amazon/Sandisk card -directly from the package into the Focus- and loaded it with ~30gb of music, six weeks ago tomorrow. The phone has worked flawlessly -not a single reset or anything else, and Mango speed improvements have been as evident as I hoped. Zune has also worked as well as ever. I was concerned that the 36.9gb format might choke on the Mango, but it sailed through sequential 7390 and 7720 installs last Tuesday without a hitch.

The 1.3 phone was purchased from ATT four days before the install/format, and I had never done any "NoDos" or betas or anything else on the phone. The card install/formatting itself took multiple tries as I've detailed elsewhere. Successful formats to all. :)

Kon-Aitor

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Just received my 32GB class two from the Bulk Package link above(gota love Amazon Prime).

Trying to format it now. Will give it a try later today, hope it will all work well.

Got it in and running, to a while to fill up the initial 8 gigs. Took a quick vid to show off the smoothness, the Pirates Pistol game was installed after I filled up an entire 8GB (so about the total 7 internal and 1 on the external card).

ATT Focus + 32GB microSD SMOOTH - YouTube

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos