Samsung Focus discontinued

rhogue

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
A good friend of mine just decided to toss out his iPhone 4 in favor of a Samsung Focus. Obviously, the ATT salesperson tried talking him out of it first. When that didn't work, he showed him an ordersheet that he would be getting in the last two Samsung phones and that this particular model has officially been discontinued.

My friend saw on his sheet that it was in red, meaning that no more would be coming in. . .but he couldn't see the official date. Does anyone know if the current supply of the focus is indeed the end of the phone? It sure looks like they are going to be making room for new inventory.

undead swagger

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I find it hard to believe only because it got to be the best selling windows phone so far, but what do i know so I could be wrong though. If it is going to be discontinued I would think that a new phone could be on its way to replace it.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I think its BS. Maybe if they are lucky it is a discontinue of hardware revision 1.4. But it seems stupid as ****. Or maybe that one store is discontinuing it because it does not sale because the sales people tell people not to buy WP7 phones....!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
They might all be in quarantine while someone opens each phone to check for r1.4, and tosses such in said dumpster. While the Focus has had its share of issues, can't imagine they would stop production this early. And not a great time to release a new phone, pre-Mango.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure there's an end of life and it's probably towards the fall.

Should that effect someone's decision? No. If you like the device, get it because it's getting Mango (at least 1.3 users).

Without a date, it's just like any other device... EoL is usually a year max. With the sales numbers that the Focus may have had, a year would be too long to continue to produce.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
well I just pulled up the wheres my update site and it was updated earlier today (first update since 6.1.11 and it shows update being delivered to Surround and Quantum ONLY. I cant believe that the focus would be EOL now when its been the best WP device IMHO. I cant get a new contract phone till 11/2011 If focus is EOL and Samsung doesnt have a successor which will offer the SDHC expansion then Nokia will get a real strong look from me.

undead swagger

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't know what it means but just got back from an att store to buy a case for the wife's phone and ask the guy working if he had any and he said no and didn't have any for a few weeks. I ask if it sold well and he said yea, one of the better selling win phones, and been having people ask for it as well Greenville, SC

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hard to believe. Sounds like another salesperson pushing iPhones or Androids to meet an internal quota.

rhogue

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but the sales guy didn't change the print to red on the Focus...it's either discontinued in general, or just for that store.

PS I am not saying the sales person wasn't biased, but he showed the sheet to my friend...btw - my friend is now going to give it a couple months to see what's coming.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not entirely surprised if this is true. The first wave of phones was likely to vanish just as quickly as they appeared. They all came out on the edge of a new set of phones with dual cores and stronger GPUs. Windows Phone 7 just needed to get off the ground, which it did (if slowly).

Personally I think the Focus is a fine phone, and definitely among the best of the current WP7 phones. Definitely looking forward to the phones announced with better specs though.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but if Samsung is not offering a new WP for sale till maybe early October, that's an awful long time to lose sales to competitors. I can't imagine that the internal components are all that unique, unless they are still plagued by this weird memory chip issue. They had plenty of time to push through another 100K phones, unless they did and they are all r1.4.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
It seems somewhat illogical to EOL it at this point and hope that its not true Its a very good phone IMHO I am looking forward to Mango!

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure there's an end of life and it's probably towards the fall.

Should that effect someone's decision? No. If you like the device, get it because it's getting Mango (at least 1.3 users).

Without a date, it's just like any other device... EoL is usually a year max. With the sales numbers that the Focus may have had, a year would be too long to continue to produce.
Aren't all WP7 users going to get Mango? I'd assume 1.2 and below will get Mango too...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Aren't all WP7 users going to get Mango? I'd assume 1.2 and below will get Mango too...
1.3 is referencing the hardware build number for the Focus (r1.3 and r1.4). Has nothing to do with software versions, etc. Problem is r1.4 devices have not yet received the NoDo update because Samsung/Microsoft can't seem to find a way to reliably update without causing crashes. In a perfect world, they probably need to reflash all the r1.4 phones to get them back in the loop, butno easy way to do that.

So yes, all current devices are scheduled to get the Mango update, but until the Focus r1.4 device gets past the NoDo update, there is speculation that could be a problem only for that particular hardware version.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It would not surprise me if 1.4 was being discontinued because of hardware troubles. However, I doubt Samsung will stop selling the Focus entirely. If you absolutely can't wait then the HD7s can make for a good replacement (and comes with much better HTC apps)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
There was a post about samsung preparing a WP version of the S2 as a replacement in the fall for the Focus. May be calling it the focus 2 (refocus)

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
May be calling it the focus 2 (refocus)

Haha, Refocus, I thought that was a good one. I don't think they will continue the Focus name because it did have some issues...they like to get that out of people's heads right away.

One positive since most of this thread was written was that r1.4's now have the newest 7392 build! r1.3s are still w/o the security update and sitting at 7390...which sucks as it might come back to hurt once mango is pushed out...*fingers crossed it doesn't*

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster