Focus is not being recognized

davidt77

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got the Samsung Focus. When I try to sync it to my computer it is not being recognized. It is charging, but the computer and Zune are neither one acknowleding it. I went through all the steps on Microsoft's website and still nothing.

If I plug in my old HD7 it is is recognized and will sync no problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

davidt77

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I have restarted my Focus, restarted my computer and checked for updates for Zune. I even tried other USB ports. My old wm phone connects with no problem.

When I first hooked up my old phone windows did the installing new drivers and all that. It has not done that with my new Focus.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Might be the USB drivers it installed got corrupted somehow.

You could always try figuring out which ones they are and uninstalling them.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Was this a brand new phone, or off eBay/Craigs List? Might have the tethering problem noted above.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

davidt77

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
It is a brand new phone from AT&T. It is v 1.3.

I did have a HD7 from tmobile that I had synced to Zune. After I left T-Mobile I uninstalled Zune. I just re-downloaded it this morning. It doesn't recognize the Samsung Focus at all, and Windows has not ever tried to install the drivers.

I plugged in the old HD7 to check it and Windows immediately started to install the drivers and then Zune started to sync it, just like it always had. I guess even after uninstalling Zune it keeps some files on the hard drive.

I am thinking the problem is with Windows 7 since it isn't recognizing the Focus at all, not trying to install the drivers or showing up in device manager.

I have followed all the directions from the Microsoft website and I have tried to add new hardware. Didn't work.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Just a wild thought, and maybe someone with a Focus can elaborate, but didn't Samsung create a tool to load some USB drivers in order to get some devices to update properly. Just wondering if this would help with your sort of related situation.

Otherwise, maybe try Zune on another PC. You don't have to sync with the other machine. Just see if your Focus is recognized. If it does not get recognized, I would be thinking an exchange.

davidt77

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what fixed it, but it is working now. I downloaded the drivers that rpm5101 linked. Nothing happened then I realized I was using the USB cable from my old HD7. I switched it out and used the usb cable that came with the Focus and immediately Windows recognized it.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm, I was going to ask about the cable but when you indicated the HD7 synced fine, figured that was fine. I use the cable that came my phone on one PC and a USB data cable from Staples on another. Both work fine.

Glad its working, but odd that a functional cable would not work on you Focus.

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
The cable should have nothing to do with it. I am using a old cable from my captivate, and old HTC cable and the one that came withmy focus and they are all working just fine. Might have just taken your computer a minute to recognize the phone. Either way it is working now so glad to hear that.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I've been through a few Focuses, and I've noticed that with some units, not using the Samsung cable caused the device not to be recognized. Seems odd but I have at least one cable that's a little too wide to fit in the narrow space the USB connector has to slip into.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss