Still worth getting the Focus?

mattyu007

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
So now that the Focus S / Focus Flash have been announced, should I still get the current Focus? I know the next generation is going to be better (SAMOLED+, faster processor, FF camera, etc) and waiting is what I want to do.

The problem is that right now, the Focus is available to me for $0. I'm going to assume neither of the two new Focus devices will be available for anywhere near $0 (at least for a good chunk of time anyway.) I'm also super itching to replace my current Nokia 5800 :p

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
Since they're definitely coming soon, I think I'd wait. The Focus Flash should be fairly cheap; I'd be surprised (and a little appalled) if it were more than $99 on contract, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being around $49.

If you don't want to try to find one a cheap used one on craigslist or ebay (and then try to resell it later), when we do find out the exact release date of the new devices, you could always minimize the wait by using a 14-day trial on the Focus. :p (Assuming AT&T does the trial thing, that is.)

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I just reviewed the available info and sized it up pretty quickly for my tastes and requirements: I got the $0 Focus and it's not going back. Note that the S screen is going up to 4.3" and the Flash down to 3.7". Neither change is attractive to me. I think the already-beautiful SAmoled screen is optimally-sized at 4", especially because I don't want my phone to be any bigger. Also, I have no need for a front-facing camera. If a larger screen size or a FF camera is important to you, you may want to wait. I wonder if the FF camera will make for a thicker phone or one with a bulge. I would guess that the Flash will go for $99 and the S for $199 -or whatever they get for the Titan. Although the Titan is supposed to have a 2.2 lens, and THAT is compelling -I haven't read anything about any change in or the speed of the lenses on the new models. I also haven't read whether the new phones will have expansion slots, and use the same batteries for which we have cheap replacements.

Also, I don't know much about phone cameras, but in digital cameras, higher pixel counts have typically been associated with greater noise (pixelization, etc.) unless they increase the sensor size as well, which is unlikely for phones (although, again, I don't know much about phone-camera technology). The jump from 5 to 8MP is significant, regardless. Then again, megapixel increases do tend to sell cameras in a large sector of the camera market because consumers are sold that more megapixels logically means better pictures.

There will always be better phones for roughly the same contract price; really nice phones for $0 are rarer. Good luck, and regardless, you're going to love your new Super AMOLED screen.

mattyu007

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
The Focus Flash should be fairly cheap; I'd be surprised (and a little appalled) if it were more than $99 on contract, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up being around $49.
Sure, it would be nice if it was $99 or $49, but that's probably the price on a voice + data plan. The Focus is $0 on a voice plan for me right now. :p (Also, I live in Canada, and I don't know how long it will take for the phone to travel from the US to Canada.)

[R]eally nice phones for $0 are rarer. Good luck, and regardless, you're going to love your new Super AMOLED screen.
It's even rarer for really nice phones to be $0 on just a voice plan. :p

Thanks a lot for both of your time / opinions. :) I think I'm going to go for the current Focus rather than wait and (most likely) end up paying $99+.

psychotron

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I jumped on the $0 Focus as well and do not regret it one bit. It's a really fine device and will run Mango like a champ so I feel as though I got one **** of deal. Love mine to death.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I had a Nokia N86 for two years. Total amount of time I used the FF camera: 13 seconds on 1 video message. That's it.

So that's why I don't see the new generation any more compelling than the current crop. Perhaps the faster processor should help on games, but I haven't found a game that doesn't run smoothly on my Focus.

I think you made a great choice (albeit you couldn't go wrong :D) Congrats on the new phone!

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I had a Nokia N86 for two years. Total amount of time I used the FF camera: 13 seconds on 1 video message. That's it.

So that's why I don't see the new generation any more compelling than the current crop. Perhaps the faster processor should help on games, but I haven't found a game that doesn't run smoothly on my Focus.

I think you made a great choice (albeit you couldn't go wrong :D) Congrats on the new phone!
I really think front facing cameras are waiting for the perfect storm of the right service to use them with, suitable quality over 3G networks, and the right marketing to make said service hot. Apple tried with Facetime, and I expected it to work a little more than it did. Perhaps if it were possible out of the box to use it on 3G, it would've taken off more.

mattyu007

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I personally have a 4th generation iPod touch with FF camera, and I find that I actually use it quite a bit, whether it's for FaceTime calling, taking pictures with friends, or just using it as a mirror, but certainly much less than I use the rear facing camera. Or perhaps that's just me. :p

Thanks! :D I just wish they shipped things on weekends here though, I'm so excited to get a new phone! (...and get rid of my Nokia 5800 of course. :p Such a slow phone!)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6