New user

LineNoise

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up a Focus tonight off Craigslist for $120. It's in beautiful condition and so far it's pretty cool. I've setup live and facebook so far. I can't wait to start using it!

I have to update it, the OS version is 7.0.7390.0. I think I'll do that now.

straitda

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you are using a Windows Live ID you are willing to stick with for the long haul. If you decide you want to change it you'll have to hard reset your phone, reinstall apps, customize again, etc.

Oh, and I'm sure theweebear will be along to welcome you shortly. ;)

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

LineNoise

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you are using a Windows Live ID you are willing to stick with for the long haul. If you decide you want to change it you'll have to hard reset your phone, reinstall apps, customize again, etc.

Oh, and I'm sure theweebear will be along to welcome you shortly. ;)

I already have a live account because of the xbox. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how I should setup my email. I have my own domain and I have just been using IMAP to access it on my Android phone. I am actively looking for another WP7 for my wife and I want to be able to share our calendars (if even possible) so I'm trying to figure out what the best practice is for that.

straitda

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat. I have a domain but I was using my work e-mail for everything. I had the wife and kids e-mail on my domain and was using an Exchange server on a home computer for their e-mail. I got sick of the overhead of administering the Exchange server/backups so I did some research and found that you can have Hotmail host your domain e-mail. You can create as many e-mail accounts on your domain as you want once you have your e-mail service configured.

Host your e-mail services

So I moved my e-mail hosting services to Hotmail and then changed the e-mail address associated with my Xbox account from my work e-mail to my personal domain e-mail.

So enter Windows Phone 7. Using my Hotmail hosted personal domain e-mail account, which is by default a Windows Live ID, I signed into my Windows Phone for the first time and had my personal domain e-mail hooked in along with my Xbox Live avatar.

I believe you can set up shared calendars in Hotmail and pull them into Windows Phone 7, but I take a different approach when I need something on various family calendars. BTW, we have 4 Windows Phones in the family. My wife, two kids and I all have HTC Arrive phones.

If I have an event that involves my wife and I, I add it to my calendar and invite her to the event. This way, if the event details change, I can update the "meeting request" and send her an update so she knows about the change. If I have an event where the kids are involved, I invite my wife and kid(s) so they have it on their calendars as well.

This works very well for us and I am out of the business of managing my own e-mail, whether on Exchange server or a hosting company e-mail server. Also any of us can log into any computer and hit the Hotmail website to check e-mail, etc. There is also a Hotmail connector for Outlook. So if you are a diehard Outlook user (I'm not anymore) you can sync your Hotmail account with Outlook. This includes received, sent, deleted mail items, contacts and calendars.

Sorry for the long winded response and hope this helps.

LineNoise

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
FANTASTIC!!! I was fearing the worst and thinking that I was going to have to setup an exchange server here (been there, done that). Thank you so much for the link!

Have you notices any drawbacks to having hotmail host your email?

Last edited:

straitda

May 27, 2011
Visit site
The only drawback I recall, and this was only a problem for a couple of weeks, was that Hotmail makes you use CAPTCHA challenge/response when you first setup your account so they can confirm you aren't a spammer. They don't do it for every e-mail, but a couple times I wanted to send an e-mail from my phone I couldn't without logging into hotmail and doing the whole CAPTCHA thing.

Once you get past that initial "trust" period with Hotmail it's wide open. I love it so much I am trying to find ways to get rid of the rest of the data I host here at the house into other cloud based services. Also, the connection between Hotmail and WP7 is tight. Most of the time I get an e-mail on my phone before it shows up at the Hotmail website.

All in all, no complaints at all.

LineNoise

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Today has been productive. I looked more into moving my domain email and I am going to do that for sure.

But I picked up a brand new Focus S for $200! The guy bought it, couldn't unlock it for T-Mobile and sold it to me! He even has another one. He claimed to have bought them under contract and didn't like them so he went back to his iPhone 4's. His loss, my gain (?) This phone is freaking sweet.

LineNoise

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! I spent 3 hours this afternoon trying to fix this guys nook that he screwed up. I never got a change to change over. Probably for the best being a holiday and all. First thing next week though.

I'm not having any luck selling this focus. Anyon want to pickup a focus for $120 + shipping?

LineNoise

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey straitda, I have a question about the hotmail hosting. How does it handle multiple e-mail addresses? I use a couple different email addresses personally on my domain. For example I use a disposable one when dealing with craigslist, so if it starts to get spammed I just delete it. Do I have to create multiple logins?

straitda

May 27, 2011
Visit site
You can create as many email addresses as you want for your domain but they are separate logins.

You can also create alias accounts within your main account for what you need but they will be hotmail.com or live.com addresses.

LineNoise

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried too, I don't own my domain. A friend registered it a long time ago for me and he won't just transfer it to me, I have no idea why. Anyways, that's a story for another time.

I tried to make an MX entry through my host and it never took effect on hotmail, plus I was having problems with the phone, but I have those cleared up now and I am going to give it another shot at him transferring my domain to me since he says he can't make an MX entry through godaddy. not sure if that's true or not, I haven't looked into it.

I start my project next week, I have my bathroom ripped apart and I spent last week playing moderator between AT&T and a clients software vendor :confused: My goal is to get it setup by Sunday, but I kinda have to get my bathroom put back together first :D Thanks for checking on me =)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs