How Is Mango On This?

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to get one of these soon (being in Canada, there is very little choice when it comes to wp7), but I was wondering how Mango ran on it. I read one review which stated that there was noticeable slow down in their experience, which would be problematic.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Mango added more butter to an already smooth UI. Made it faster and that was one of the better updates I ever experienced, including of mobile OS.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
yeah im using the FOCUS from roggers. with mango ...

if anything its FASTER!!!! ZERO problems. im loving it!!!

but ROGERS and TELUS ( in canada ) will be getting the Nokia 710 and 800 so you can wait for that!!! ( 1 or 2 months ) http://admin.wpcentral.com/lumia-710-going-rogers-and-800-heading-telus

and im hoping BELL gets the NOKIA 900 ( witch i would not be surprise ) BELL and AT&T often get the SAME phones!!!

Last edited:

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I did look at the lumia's, but their internal memory (and the 800's apparent sound quality issues) make them unsuitable for being music players, which is a major issue for me. The microsd card slot and the apparently decent audio in the focus are a definite plus.

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Good to know. I'm a bit nervous about signing a two year contract for this thing, seeing as how it's already a year old, but I think i'll delve in anyway. I'm not really looking for anything too high tech: just talk, text, taking a few pictures, and listening to music.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Good to know. I'm a bit nervous about signing a two year contract for this thing, seeing as how it's already a year old, but I think i'll delve in anyway. I'm not really looking for anything too high tech: just talk, text, taking a few pictures, and listening to music.

Get a newer top of the line phone as cheap as you can and sell it on Ebay. So lets say you make $400 on a new Galaxy S II or something. A brand new Focus can be bought for under $250 on EBay OR Amazon. If you're going to sign a 2 year contract anyway you might as well make $150 bucks.

danj210

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Get the WP7, you'll never use another OS again and will forever be in love. Even if you only want to use it for a few simple tasks... It does those task better/simper/faster than any other OS can do.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Neibl

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Phone runs great for me in mango, audio sounds great on focus (better than my surround arguably) and for about week no issues with my 32gb microsd card.

My phone does freeze alot (before the microsd, fyi) but my phone was refurbished with bad motherboard and I think they did a bad job repairing because from day 1 i got it back it was giving me some issues that are def hardware related, but just too lazy to send it back as it resets really quick anyway.

Highly recommend the focus.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I got a new Samsung Focus from the carrier for free in August, and immediately installed a 32gb card. The install and the Mango update have worked flawlessly, and I agree that Mango boosted an already-speedy, fully-loaded device. If my black beauty died or I lost it today, I'd have a couple of fingers of B&B, listen to some music, and then go to the carrier store to pick up another Focus.

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I got a new Samsung Focus from the carrier for free in August, and immediately installed a 32gb card. The install and the Mango update have worked flawlessly, and I agree that Mango boosted an already-speedy, fully-loaded device. If my black beauty died or I lost it today, I'd have a couple of fingers of B&B, listen to some music, and then go to the carrier store to pick up another Focus.

Yeah I have to agree. If my Focus gave out I'd buy another one. When my upgrade comes up in November, even though I'll be tempted to go with the newest Apollo device, I might stick with an older generation Samsung. I love the freedom it gives you with the ability to unlock it and its got a great screen and great battery life. Just a solid phone all around.

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Just to ask, have the microsd card issues that apparently plagued the device on release been fixed? or do most microsd cards still not work in the device?

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Just to ask, have the microsd card issues that apparently plagued the device on release been fixed? or do most microsd cards still not work in the device?

I haven't Focused on this for months, but I haven't received nor read anything from the corporations involved, nor read any consensus here or on any other forum, regarding a fix as such, nor have I seen any specifications on what works and what doesn't. There was a listing early on of certified -or the like- cards, but that was pulled by last summer. I do recall reading one or more things from Microsoft last summer, suggesting, at least, that expandability capacity of WP7 devices was intended for OEMs rather than end users. I read that to mean don't expect fixes for current devices. I don't see expandability in newer and projected devices, suggesting, again, that it's not about fixing anything, at least not yet.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
There was never a MicroSD card issue. There were user issues, with putting in a MicroSD card not compatible with the way the system works. They are two different things in my opinion.

But I am rocking a Focus with an extra SD card with no problem.

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
There was never a MicroSD card issue. There were user issues, with putting in a MicroSD card not compatible with the way the system works. They are two different things in my opinion.

But I am rocking a Focus with an extra SD card with no problem.

Is there any way to determine whether or not a microsd card is compatible with the focus?

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
If you search here, you'll find reports from (I believe) enahs555, and myself, among others, that a certain relatively low-cost and slow "bulk order" Sandisk card that was available from Amazon last year is what worked for us. This is what I ordered even before I had read about card issues: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1617968

I've suspected myself that there were user issues, although the installation is not a simple matter by any means. It may be that some Focus owners were more persistent, or more experienced, or both. Good luck -you could try it and I'd guess return it for a refund if it doesn't work for you.

Last edited:

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Do you think that this:

Sandisk 16GB MicroSDHC Class 2 Memory Card With Adapter : MicroSD Memory - Future Shop

would work? Also, what do you need to do to install it? I was under the impression that you just plugged in the card, and if it was compatible, it would work.

If you could, go with the Class 4 16GB. That's what I use and it works great.

All you need to do is put it in and factory reset the phone (turn off then hold power, volume down, and camera button all at same time). There's no way I know of to get around resetting the phone - it won't work any other way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12