03-02-2012 09:34 PM
28 12
tools
    I'm looking to get one of these soon (being in Canada, there is very little choice when it comes to wp7), but I was wondering how Mango ran on it. I read one review which stated that there was noticeable slow down in their experience, which would be problematic.
    01-13-2012 06:27 PM
    No slowdown here. :)
    01-13-2012 06:47 PM
    Mango added more butter to an already smooth UI. Made it faster and that was one of the better updates I ever experienced, including of mobile OS.
    01-13-2012 06:49 PM
    yeah im using the FOCUS from roggers. with mango ...

if anything its FASTER!!!! ZERO problems. im loving it!!!

but ROGERS and TELUS ( in canada ) will be getting the Nokia 710 and 800 so you can wait for that!!! ( 1 or 2 months ) http://admin.wpcentral.com/lumia-710...-heading-telus

and im hoping BELL gets the NOKIA 900 ( witch i would not be surprise ) BELL and AT&T often get the SAME phones!!!
    Last edited by Se1fcr3ation; 01-13-2012 at 07:32 PM.
    01-13-2012 07:22 PM
    I did look at the lumia's, but their internal memory (and the 800's apparent sound quality issues) make them unsuitable for being music players, which is a major issue for me. The microsd card slot and the apparently decent audio in the focus are a definite plus.
    01-13-2012 09:58 PM
    Can't go wrong with the Focus. Runs great on Mango.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    01-13-2012 10:02 PM
    Good to know. I'm a bit nervous about signing a two year contract for this thing, seeing as how it's already a year old, but I think i'll delve in anyway. I'm not really looking for anything too high tech: just talk, text, taking a few pictures, and listening to music.
    01-14-2012 03:54 PM
    Good to know. I'm a bit nervous about signing a two year contract for this thing, seeing as how it's already a year old, but I think i'll delve in anyway. I'm not really looking for anything too high tech: just talk, text, taking a few pictures, and listening to music.
    Get a newer top of the line phone as cheap as you can and sell it on Ebay. So lets say you make $400 on a new Galaxy S II or something. A brand new Focus can be bought for under $250 on EBay OR Amazon. If you're going to sign a 2 year contract anyway you might as well make $150 bucks.
    01-14-2012 10:10 PM
    Get the WP7, you'll never use another OS again and will forever be in love. Even if you only want to use it for a few simple tasks... It does those task better/simper/faster than any other OS can do.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express
    01-14-2012 10:50 PM
    Phone runs great for me in mango, audio sounds great on focus (better than my surround arguably) and for about week no issues with my 32gb microsd card.

My phone does freeze alot (before the microsd, fyi) but my phone was refurbished with bad motherboard and I think they did a bad job repairing because from day 1 i got it back it was giving me some issues that are def hardware related, but just too lazy to send it back as it resets really quick anyway.

Highly recommend the focus.
    01-15-2012 09:57 AM
    I got a new Samsung Focus from the carrier for free in August, and immediately installed a 32gb card. The install and the Mango update have worked flawlessly, and I agree that Mango boosted an already-speedy, fully-loaded device. If my black beauty died or I lost it today, I'd have a couple of fingers of B&B, listen to some music, and then go to the carrier store to pick up another Focus.
    01-23-2012 12:25 PM
    I got a new Samsung Focus from the carrier for free in August, and immediately installed a 32gb card. The install and the Mango update have worked flawlessly, and I agree that Mango boosted an already-speedy, fully-loaded device. If my black beauty died or I lost it today, I'd have a couple of fingers of B&B, listen to some music, and then go to the carrier store to pick up another Focus.
    Yeah I have to agree. If my Focus gave out I'd buy another one. When my upgrade comes up in November, even though I'll be tempted to go with the newest Apollo device, I might stick with an older generation Samsung. I love the freedom it gives you with the ability to unlock it and its got a great screen and great battery life. Just a solid phone all around.
    01-23-2012 12:28 PM
    Just to ask, have the microsd card issues that apparently plagued the device on release been fixed? or do most microsd cards still not work in the device?
    01-24-2012 11:02 PM
    Just to ask, have the microsd card issues that apparently plagued the device on release been fixed? or do most microsd cards still not work in the device?
    I haven't Focused on this for months, but I haven't received nor read anything from the corporations involved, nor read any consensus here or on any other forum, regarding a fix as such, nor have I seen any specifications on what works and what doesn't. There was a listing early on of certified -or the like- cards, but that was pulled by last summer. I do recall reading one or more things from Microsoft last summer, suggesting, at least, that expandability capacity of WP7 devices was intended for OEMs rather than end users. I read that to mean don't expect fixes for current devices. I don't see expandability in newer and projected devices, suggesting, again, that it's not about fixing anything, at least not yet.
    01-26-2012 10:11 AM
    There was never a MicroSD card issue. There were user issues, with putting in a MicroSD card not compatible with the way the system works. They are two different things in my opinion.

But I am rocking a Focus with an extra SD card with no problem.
    01-26-2012 12:12 PM
    There was never a MicroSD card issue. There were user issues, with putting in a MicroSD card not compatible with the way the system works. They are two different things in my opinion.

But I am rocking a Focus with an extra SD card with no problem.
    Is there any way to determine whether or not a microsd card is compatible with the focus?
    01-26-2012 08:11 PM
    If you search here, you'll find reports from (I believe) enahs555, and myself, among others, that a certain relatively low-cost and slow "bulk order" Sandisk card that was available from Amazon last year is what worked for us. This is what I ordered even before I had read about card issues: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pUvbUpU1617968

I've suspected myself that there were user issues, although the installation is not a simple matter by any means. It may be that some Focus owners were more persistent, or more experienced, or both. Good luck -you could try it and I'd guess return it for a refund if it doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by Rodolfo; 01-26-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    01-26-2012 10:12 PM
    Do you think that this:

Sandisk 16GB MicroSDHC Class 2 Memory Card With Adapter : MicroSD Memory - Future Shop

would work? Also, what do you need to do to install it? I was under the impression that you just plugged in the card, and if it was compatible, it would work.
    01-27-2012 10:04 AM
    Do you think that this:

Sandisk 16GB MicroSDHC Class 2 Memory Card With Adapter : MicroSD Memory - Future Shop

would work? Also, what do you need to do to install it? I was under the impression that you just plugged in the card, and if it was compatible, it would work.
    If you could, go with the Class 4 16GB. That's what I use and it works great.

All you need to do is put it in and factory reset the phone (turn off then hold power, volume down, and camera button all at same time). There's no way I know of to get around resetting the phone - it won't work any other way.
    01-27-2012 12:22 PM
    Just looked around the Futureshop site again, and found this:

Lexar 16GB MicroSDHC Memory Card (LSDMI16GASBNA) : MicroSD Memory - Future Shop

Cheaper, same amount of memory, and apparently its class 4 if the reviews are to be believed. I had wanted to stick with Sandisk due to the fact that I had specifically heard that they worked well with the focus, but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't.
    01-27-2012 03:33 PM
    I've shown my Focus to several friends and they're amazed at how fast it is. They all have Android and are constantly looking for ways to increase their response time without killing their battery life. My wife, when her contact is up in July, is getting a Focus. Most nights I have to rip the phone away from her to charge it, lol. She has a Samsung Captivate and being a techy, I've tried everything I can to make it a better experience. She just hates how slow it is and has to consistently reboot at least once a day or more.

The Focus is a solid choice! Good luck choosing, although it doesn't seem like a hard choice :-)
    01-27-2012 07:10 PM
    So, after this thread, I thought that i'd wait for Mobile World Congress to see what was announced in terms of WP7 phones, especially seeing how i'd have to get a 2 year contract on this phone that is already a bit out of date. In addition, the Lumia phones have been confirmed as coming to Canada in the next little while, and it seemed like a good idea to hold off and see what kind of plans they'd come with. That being said, the price of the Focus has now been lowered to $0 on a one year contract, and I can get a contract at a fairly cheap price ($35 without data, $42 with, which sounds kind of awful, but trust me it's better than most Canadian options). In addition, there's a sale at an electronics chain that I can get to from which I could get a 16gb SD card (one of the ones that works with this thing according to the people on the xda forum) for $20 (which is about a third of the normal price). That being said, the sale ends just as MWC starts, so give me your opinions: should I go for this thing? I'm thinking it might be a good idea, especially now that Nokia have said to wait for Apollo to be really impressed. If I get this phone now on a one year contract, i'll have a WP7 device with enough storage for my music library, and by the time that my contract expires, the new, high end devices should be just around the corner.
    02-22-2012 07:22 PM
    Rogers is getting the 900.
    02-22-2012 07:31 PM
    Phone runs great for me in mango, audio sounds great on focus (better than my surround arguably) and for about week no issues with my 32gb microsd card.

My phone does freeze alot (before the microsd, fyi) but my phone was refurbished with bad motherboard and I think they did a bad job repairing because from day 1 i got it back it was giving me some issues that are def hardware related, but just too lazy to send it back as it resets really quick anyway.

Highly recommend the focus.
    which brand of microsd card are you using? i need a tip because i want to get one which is working.
    02-23-2012 06:45 AM
    Rogers is getting the 900.
    This is whats giving me pause, but at the same time, knowing Rogers, i'd have to sign a 3-year contract to get a decent price on that thing, which would then be outclassed by the Apollo phones. So, i'm thinking of getting this for one year as a stopgap phone.
    02-23-2012 08:37 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD