Samsung Focus and Straight Talk

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
No, by deploying Heathcliffs file deployed it created the XML folder and then I could save the ST XML and use the GPRS settings via Diagnosis app to activate.

This still did not give me MMS.

One thing I did notice in your XML file is that for the MMS proxy there is only the web address and no IP address that ST gives for the set up of APN. Could this have anything to do with it?

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No, by deploying Heathcliffs file deployed it created the XML folder and then I could save the ST XML and use the GPRS settings via Diagnosis app to activate.

This still did not give me MMS.

One thing I did notice in your XML file is that for the MMS proxy there is only the web address and no IP address that ST gives for the set up of APN. Could this have anything to do with it?

I used the same XML and it activated MMS. I did load the XML in GPRS settings the first time and saved but it did not work. I went back and saved, waited about a minute then hit "close". After yet another reboot it was working. I don't know what else to tell you, I feel bad that I have it working and you don't yet we are doing the same steps. Maybe it is your custom ROM. DON'T GIVE UP!!!

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I still can't get this to work. I'm wondering if it has to do with the custom ROM being at version 8107 (keyboard fix revision) rather than just mango?

Not sure how much more time I can be bothered to waste on this frankly - it's just easier to use an app such as WhatsApp to send picture messages.

Have to say though- it's frankly little annoyances like this that put me off the Windows Phone platform. This is basic stuff that an end user SHOULD have access to and the fact we are locked out of it is incredibly annoying.

Unless MS pull something REALLY spectacular out of the bag for Windows Phone 8 I think unfortunately I'll be considering Android or iOS for my next phone. It just feels like too little, too late when they can't get some of this basic stuff right.

I hate coming to this conclusion as I really, really like the Win Phone platform, but there are a cumulative bunch of annoyances that MS simply has to get figures out in WP8 or I think the platform is ultimately doomed.

Come on MS, get it sorted! :dry

MekkelRichards

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Only problem I am having is that after I download the XML file, it does not show up in the file explorer. Any one have any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind, got it to show up. Now I have no provxml folder. Trying to find a similar folder.

EDIT 2: If you don't have a provxml folder in the root directory, just create one by hitting the 'plus' sign at the bottom and naming the folder provxml. It worked for me. MMS now works!! Thanks a ton!

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Only problem I am having is that after I download the XML file, it does not show up in the file explorer. Any one have any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind, got it to show up. Now I have no provxml folder. Trying to find a similar folder.

EDIT 2: If you don't have a provxml folder in the root directory, just create one by hitting the 'plus' sign at the bottom and naming the folder provxml. It worked for me. MMS now works!! Thanks a ton!
Glad I was able to be of some help. woodbane is right about this and other little annoyances regarding WP7. These problems were non-existent in the older Windows Mobile platform and webOS was infinitely easier to play with and simply a more polished UI. Lack of apps did the platform in along with subpar hardware as well as horrible mismanagement at HP and Palm.

MekkelRichards

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Glad I was able to be of some help. woodbane is right about this and other little annoyances regarding WP7. These problems were non-existent in the older Windows Mobile platform and webOS was infinitely easier to play with and simply a more polished UI. Lack of apps did the platform in along with subpar hardware as well as horrible mismanagement at HP and Palm.

A few months ago I was still with webOS on a Pre3. Sexy UI, but it was horribly buggy and slow at times. I really love it though and hope that something good will come out of it being open sourced.

This WP7 issue most likely exists because they forgot to bake the ability to edit MMS apn settings into the settings.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Because I'm a tinkerer and frankly this issue bugs the **** out of me, I'm considering reflashing stock ROM rolling up to Mango and then trying this before doing anything else. I'm sad like that. :S

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
A few months ago I was still with webOS on a Pre3. Sexy UI, but it was horribly buggy and slow at times. I really love it though and hope that something good will come out of it being open sourced.

This WP7 issue most likely exists because they forgot to bake the ability to edit MMS apn settings into the settings.
Funny you mention that, I had both a Pre2 and Pre3. The Pre2 actually ran better despite a slower cpu. In fact, my wife refuses to give up her Pre2 even though I have a Venue Pro laying in a drawer waiting to be purchased on eBay.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Because I'm a tinkerer and frankly this issue bugs the **** out of me, I'm considering reflashing stock ROM rolling up to Mango and then trying this before doing anything else. I'm sad like that. :S

Try creating the provxml folder as MekkelRichards did a few posts above. Might work.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Honestly that really wasn't the issue, I got the folder created by deploying Heathcliffs file. I then followed the rest of the instructions but it still wouldn't work. I did find another thread on xda with a different set of instructions to get the MMS working. I may try that after a reflash.

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Ok so something a little strange happened after I got data working. I tried DL an app over 3G, but it gave me a "Windows Live service unavailable". When I try over wifi, it works. I've read a few things about the error, but it just seems strange. I saw someone suggest that it might be that the connection is slow, but from my test on mobilespeedtest.com I'm getting somewhere between 2-4mbps dl speed.

evenmetal99

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS! After about a month of trying TONS of different procedures, YOURS came through. This procedure worked perfectly on my unlocked Samsung focus using straight talk. I can now send and receive MMS perfectly! I did have a tiny bit of trouble trying to get the .xml file to show up in my phone but I finally got it to work. So thank you so so much for this man. Appreciative.:lol:

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Hey fatclue! Just wanted to let you know that I figured out that it IS the custom ROM that's stopping this provxml file from taking properly.

Long story short, a work colleague bought a Focus and is using it with H2O. She was also having the issue that she could not send MMS.

I persuaded her to let me windowbreak and deploy the Straight Talk provxml file and then try sending a MMS with my SIM inserted. It worked without a hitch!

Interestingly, as H2O also uses the ATT network it meant the settings also worked when she put her SIM back in!

IT WAS A DOUBLE WIN!

So guess who's going to be flashing his phone back to stock and going the windowbreak route? LOL.

Anyhow, I'm going to let voluptuary, the maker of the custom ROM know as there has to be something that's stopping this.

But to you sir, I say thanks a million!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hey fatclue! Just wanted to let you know that I figured out that it IS the custom ROM that's stopping this provxml file from taking properly.

Long story short, a work colleague bought a Focus and is using it with H2O. She was also having the issue that she could not send MMS.

I persuaded her to let me windowbreak and deploy the Straight Talk provxml file and then try sending a MMS with my SIM inserted. It worked without a hitch!

Interestingly, as H2O also uses the ATT network it meant the settings also worked when she put her SIM back in!

IT WAS A DOUBLE WIN!

So guess who's going to be flashing his phone back to stock and going the windowbreak route? LOL.

Anyhow, I'm going to let voluptuary, the maker of the custom ROM know as there has to be something that's stopping this.

But to you sir, I say thanks a million!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know you were a bit frustrated there for a while, but I'm glad you found a way to get it done. :D

davidlshook

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I just wish I could get it to work on mine now...... did every step and still no mms. I was able to get data............ this is bs that microsoft did this

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I just wish I could get it to work on mine now...... did every step and still no mms. I was able to get data............ this is bs that microsoft did this
Yeah, it's BS but it's more the carriers than anything else. I just wish that WP7 had the ability to edit registries the way we could on WinMo. Matter of fact, I have my Epix on the computer right now 'cause I'm adding the Straight Talk MMS settings. 2 minute job on WinMo, that's pathetic.

syconu

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
when i get the file emailed to myself all it says is that i can open it and theres no donload and save option........ help plz

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
You don't get an option to download and save it. Once you tap it and it opens, there's a copy saved in the 'Volatile' folder that fatclue mentioned. Copy and paste it from there to the provxml folder and apply it via the GPRS setting menu in the Diagnosis App.

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express Pro

syconu

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
i cant get the diagnosis app to work so can u plz help with that and i would be greatful i can get it from there but i just need to that point where i can get ##643# to work

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss