Samsung Focus and Straight Talk

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Since my contact expired on AT&T and I am still waiting for the new phones I was thinking about taking my current Samsung focus and giving it to my wife and putting it on unlimited with Straight Talk. Welcome To Straight Talk

I've been poking around a bit and found that other folks have done this but have run into issues with configuring the APN/MMS gateway settings. Anyone here that have been able to put their AT&T Samsung focus on another network? What were your experiences?

Thanks...

86ipods

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the same setup....any idea why mms doesn't work though?
To get MMS working your phone would need to be Chevron or Dev unlocked. I have an unlocked Samsung Focus with working MMS but I'm not sure about the Focus Flash or S. Let me know if your unlocked and I can give the steps and file needed to get it working

86ipods

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
To get MMS working your phone would need to be Chevron or Dev unlocked. I have an unlocked Samsung Focus with working MMS but I'm not sure about the Focus Flash or S. Let me know if your unlocked and I can give the steps and file needed to get it working

86ipods

I'm thinking of doing this switch as well - my Focus is fully unlocked using a custom ROM.

Everything I've read says that using ST will be noo issue but no MMS.

Where does one configure MMS settings on fully unlocked device? Samsung Wireless Network Settings will NOT work on the original Focus even when fully unlocked and Netwrok Profile app does not allow manual config, so where do you get to the MMS settings?

MekkelRichards

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking of doing this switch as well - my Focus is fully unlocked using a custom ROM.

Everything I've read says that using ST will be noo issue but no MMS.

Where does one configure MMS settings on fully unlocked device? Samsung Wireless Network Settings will NOT work on the original Focus even when fully unlocked and Netwrok Profile app does not allow manual config, so where do you get to the MMS settings?

I AM HAVING THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. I am posting on xda right now to get some help. I will update here if I get this solved.

evenmetal99

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

86ipods
My samsung focus IS unlocked. I would appreciate it if you could guide me through this. Thank you.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Ditto, my device is fully unlocked but I have yet to find a way to edit the MMS APN. However, you could always use a messaging app such as WhatsApp or Kik Messenger to send pictures.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

MekkelRichards

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Instead of filling out all of the lines on the "edit apn" screen, ONLY fill in the "APN" line. Type att.mvno

That's it. Bing and marketplace work totally fine for me now, but I am not sure about MMS. I have not had anyone send me one, or maybe I just didn't get them.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I have a Focus on Straight Talk. It works perfectly here in the Miami area. To get data all you need to do is edit the apn in settings. Put att.mvno as the apn, proxy.mvno.tracfone.com as the proxy and 80 as the port. To get MMS working is a much more involved process. I have internet sharing and MMS working on mine and I'll try to put a detailed tutorial together along with some necessary files when I have a chance. For the more savvy, after you get interop unlock and get WP7 root tools installed, put the Straight Talk XML into the provxml folder through explorer (extract and email it to your phone and save), use diagnostics tool and hit *#9080# to load the XML into GPRS settings. I may be forgetting some steps but I'm typing as I work. Stay tuned.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I have a Focus on Straight Talk. It works perfectly here in the Miami area. To get data all you need to do is edit the apn in settings. Put att.mvno as the apn, proxy.mvno.tracfone.com as the proxy and 80 as the port. To get MMS working is a much more involved process. I have internet sharing and MMS working on mine and I'll try to put a detailed tutorial together along with some necessary files when I have a chance. For the more savvy, after you get interop unlock and get WP7 root tools installed, put the Straight Talk XML into the provxml folder through explorer (extract and email it to your phone and save), use diagnostics tool and hit *#9080# to load the XML into GPRS settings. I may be forgetting some steps but I'm typing as I work. Stay tuned.

Nice job! Honestly, you'd think that MS would have allowed people to edit the MMS settings really. To have to go to these lengths is frankly ridiculous.

That being said, I'm immensly grateful for this - my phone is fully unlocked and this is a great find for us Straight Talk users needing / wanting MMS.

You should totally post this over at xda developers as well or if you run in to issues around posting files and need a more long term member to help out (they have rules about minimum requirements before posting files) I'd be happy to post it on your behalf, giving you full credit of course. :)

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

What is the name of the provxml file that shows up in GPRS settings via diagnosis?

I saved the provxml but am not seeing anything obvious labelled in the GPRS settings - only Gumi Test Bed, Suwon2G Test Bed, Suwon3G Test Bed.

Also to get to diagnosis I had to dial *#9908# not *#9080#.

Any insight?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What is the name of the provxml file that shows up in GPRS settings via diagnosis?

I saved the provxml but am not seeing anything obvious labelled in the GPRS settings - only Gumi Test Bed, Suwon2G Test Bed, Suwon3G Test Bed.

Also to get to diagnosis I had to dial *#9908# not *#9080#.

Any insight?
Did you put the XML file in the provxml folder found in explorer? After you extract and email it to your phone and save it, you have to go into WP7 Root Tools, under explorer find the folder called "Application Data> Volatile> Email Attachments> Attachments and find the XML. Cut and paste to the "provxml" folder in the root of the device under explorer. From there you can go into diagnostics and set it at GPRS. BTW, nice pick-up on the *#9908#

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Did you put the XML file in the provxml folder found in explorer? After you extract and email it to your phone and save it, you have to go into WP7 Root Tools, under explorer find the folder called "Application Data> Volatile> Email Attachments> Attachments and find the XML. Cut and paste to the "provxml" folder in the root of the device under explorer. From there you can go into diagnostics and set it at GPRS. BTW, nice pick-up on the *#9908#

Aha, I had not done these steps.

However, I seem not to have a provxml folder in root directory?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Aha, I had not done these steps.

However, I seem not to have a provxml folder in root directory?
No provxml folder? That's odd because that's where the GPRS files you found in GPRS settings are stored. Find the folder where Gumi Test Bed, Suwon 2G, etc. are and put the Straight Talk XML there as well.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'm going to try to list the steps to get internet sharing and MMS working with Straight Talk, Please bear with me since I've only been playing with WP7 for a couple of weeks, I'm a webOS refugee and I seek asylum within the Windows world. A couple of props need to be handed out first. To Heathcliff74 at XDA for the terrific WP7 Root Tool and to the wonderful folks at the Windowbreak project for the interop unlock that allows us to do these fine things in Mango. Please note that the WindowBreak only works on Samsung devices. If you have an LG Quantum you can unlock by reg edit without having to do any additional downloads, hacking, etc. Last, but not least, the folks at MS for their Windows Phone SDK 7.1 which allows us to side-load XAP's.

1. Get the Windows Phone SDK 7.1 if you don't already have it. It's a large DL so be patient. The prog you will need to run from here is the "Application Deployment" to side-load the XAP's you will be using.
2. Go to WindowBreak by WindowsPhoneHacker ON YOUR DEVICE!! Click on the "windowbreak me" link and follow the instructions. Trust me, it's quick and works perfectly.
3. By now you should have an unlocked device and internet sharing available to you. If MMS is not a big deal to you, quit now and forever hold your peace. If you need it, continue with the sideshow.
4. Fire up Zune and make sure you sync.
5. Now the fun begins, go to the SDK app "Application Deployment and install the WP7 Root Tool from Heathcliff74 from here http://forum.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=839254&d=1325517854
6. If you get an error message that your device is pin-locked, go to your phone's app list and hit "interop unlock" because Zune will re-lock your phone at every sync.
7. Now that you have WP7 Root Tools installed, you will notice that you have a file explorer tab. This will become your best friend.
8. Extract the Straight Talk XML from the zip file below and email it to your phone. Tap on the download and save.
9. In the file explorer find the folder called "Application Data> Volatile> Email Attachments> Attachments and find the XML. Cut and paste to the "provxml" folder in the root directory. There should be some XML's already in there that you would have seen when you were doing the windowbreak earlier. Another user told me that he didn't have the provxml folder so I instructed him to find the folders which have these existing XML's. They have names like "Gumi Test Bed, Suwon 2G Test Bed" and so forth.
10. Now go to diagnostic (##634#) and enter *#9908# to get to the GPRS settings. This is the same step you had to do during the windowbreak part of this program except now you will select the "StraightTalk" XML you put in at step 9. Save, reboot and Voila! You should have working data and MMS. Send a test message to another phone and reply with another MMS to make sure you're receiving.

Please note that I've recited these steps from my diminished memory of close to 50 years old and I may have forgotten a step. The most important things to consider are that you have to unlock with windowbreak and you have to get that Straight Talk XML in the proper folder. Once you can get step 10 out of the way you're golden. I won't ask for PayPal donations because others have done the leg work, all I've done is consolidate some files and info and put them together. For that, a simple "Thank You" is all I need. God bless you and God bless our troops overseas. :)

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
So for some reason my custom ROM did not have the provxml folder as you mentioned - it was me that had told you about it. I can only suppose that maybe custom ROM's don't have the folder as all the features are already baked in to the ROM. I managed to get a provxml folder created by installing Heathcliff's file deployer xap. Long story short, I followed all the steps you listed and.....NO MMS!

I'm about ready to give up with this I can't figure out what it is in doing wrong.

Thank you for the effort though.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So for some reason my custom ROM did not have the provxml folder as you mentioned - it was me that had told you about it. I can only suppose that maybe custom ROM's don't have the folder as all the features are already baked in to the ROM. I managed to get a provxml folder created by installing Heathcliff's file deployer xap. Long story short, I followed all the steps you listed and.....NO MMS!

I'm about ready to give up with this I can't figure out what it is in doing wrong.

Did you look search explorer to find the other XML's already there? They have to be somewhere it's just a matter of finding them. I'm sure that when you find those you'll be able to insert the ST XML and be good.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Just for ****z and giggles, I searched WP7 Root Tools. In the root directory where my provxml folder is I saw the Interop Unlock XML along with the windowbreak and system tweaks XML's from the windowbreak procedure. Maybe, just maybe, the windowbreak unlock CREATES the folder you need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb