Data vs. WiFi

fdigiorgio

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
For the past few months, I've been contacted by AT&T that I'm close to the top of my data plan [200mb] which is odd since I'm on WiFi at home & work. I hardly use the phone on the road.

What I've noticed is that when I'm connected to WiFi, I still have my 3G logo at the top. To me that looks like it's using both at the same time. Is that possible?

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It turns off WiFi under lockscreen and uses mobile data there instead. It does this to save power.

When it is active it uses a WiFi connection if available.

In short. Updating Live Tiles, downloading E-Mail etc. Will use some mobile data.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Download iHeartRadio. With WiFi turned on and connected, open the app, select any channel, let the music start playing and then pause it. You can now back out of the app. This will keep your WiFi active while your phone is sleeping, as long as you stay within range of your router. So you will have to do this when you get to work, and again when you get home. Pin a channel channel to your Start screen for quick access. Battery usage should be about the same, or very close. But it will reduce your data consumption significantly.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

fdigiorgio

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
It turns off WiFi under lockscreen and uses mobile data there instead. It does this to save power.

When it is active it uses a WiFi connection if available.

In short. Updating Live Tiles, downloading E-Mail etc. Will use some mobile data.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
That makes sense. Thanks for the reply...

fdigiorgio

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Download iHeartRadio. With WiFi turned on and connected, open the app, select any channel, let the music start playing and then pause it. You can now back out of the app. This will keep your WiFi active while your phone is sleeping, as long as you stay within range of your router. So you will have to do this when you get to work, and again when you get home. Pin a channel channel to your Start screen for quick access. Battery usage should be about the same, or very close. But it will reduce your data consumption significantly.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
Heading to the marketplace now. Thanks for the reply...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa