Can I keep my Samsung Focus as a wifi only device?

texbob

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I plan to upgrade and get a new phone when WP8 comes out. So I am wondering if anybody knows if the old phone, a Samsung Focus, can be kept and used as a wifi device only (no phone plan)?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that is exactly what I do. I have a Focus sitting in a drawer somewhere and I can basically use it as a Zune HD. :)

texbob

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Great. Thanks folks!

I'm looking forward to a new phone with some cool new features although I must say that the Focus doesn't "feel" old yet.

Mandos

May 18, 2011
Visit site
How would this work for a Verizon Trophy? Would I pull the Verizon SIM card from the phone?

I want to be able to have my Trophy useable for my young kids to play with without worrying that they make a call or send a text message accidentally.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
How would this work for a Verizon Trophy? Would I pull the Verizon SIM card from the phone?

I want to be able to have my Trophy useable for my young kids to play with without worrying that they make a call or send a text message accidentally.

The SIM card in the Trophy is just for global so having it in or out of the phone doesn't matter. But I imagine you could just use it on WiFi, it shouldn't be a problem at all. If you can just disable the cellular radio then you wont have to worry about it draining because of it or throwing up any errors because it can't connect.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Should not need to disable anything on verizon. When you activate the new phone they put in the ID number and that tells their towers that phone is allowed to use the cell services. They will deactivate the current ID number on your trophy and it will no longer pick up the cell signals. At least that was how I thought Verizon worked.

Same concept with ATT. They deactivate the SIM card on your account. Then they put a new one in your new phone and activate it on their network. Nothing needs to be disabled.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos