7.8 Update??

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I've looked just in case AT&T does surprise us... XDA has a link to the original rom if 7.8 does come out. Or if 7.8 causes problems, I can go back to the original OS...

Sotal

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I just reset my Focus via Zune. I did it with the disconnect method, waiting about 3/4 seconds. Took a couple tries, but did the trick (yesterday I tried 20 times with no luck, today it was a success at the 3rd attempt). I went to 8779 first, then 8783 and finally 8858 (had to do the disconnect for each of them). Oh, also, I took the SIM out while I was updating, just in case (so the phone doesn't know I'm using the T-Mobile network, just in case that made things more difficult).

Note that my Focus is the AT&T model but I flashed it long ago with the original retail Rogers ROM (which is practically stock WP original rom) because I hated all the stupid personalizations made by AT&T, so my Focus thinks it's an i917R instead of an i917 - this could be why I was able to do the disconnect thing. In any case, I very highly recommend you ditch the AT&T rom in favor of the clean Rogers one, it's the perfectly clean, non-homebrew original used by Rogers in Canada, so you will get all updates through Zune perfectly normally.

Yeah I've seen in the comments the only Focus users so far to get it through Zune had a Rogers branded Focus or were using the ROM file.

I've looked just in case AT&T does surprise us... XDA has a link to the original rom if 7.8 does come out. Or if 7.8 causes problems, I can go back to the original OS...

Typically if the Focus were my personal phone, I'd jump at the chance to push the .cab file. However, I've been updating WP7 phones for my friends and family, so in this case it's a no-go for me.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've seen in the comments the only Focus users so far to get it through Zune had a Rogers branded Focus or were using the ROM file.

Yeah, I flashed it like the first week I got my Focus about a year and a half ago. I absolutely hated that AT&T unnecessary splash screen plus it added 1 second to boot time (I know how ridiculous that sounds... I mainly just hate AT&T). The Rogers ROM is beautifully clean and devoid of crap. If you can ever reset the phone and flash it, I highly recommend it - you also won't be at the mercy of AT&T's stupid whims about when you should be allowed to update. Since the Rogers image is mostly clean, they push updates practically immediately after they're officially made available.

My Focus is now successfully updated and I can confirm there's zero firmware updates going from 8773 to 8858. Can't say I'm surprised, Samsung could not care less about their Focus devices at this point in time.

Bajirav

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
To find the right link I'm going to use Spanish for example (I'm not sure where the full list is that tells you what "code" is what. It's on this website, or the XDA website)
Spanish - 0c0a - (doesn't allow me to make the 0 bold, but it should be...)
all you do is look at the end part:
lang_0c0a.pks_29c153eae13ce7184ac8abc63eb6345694e9fce0.cab

my phone needed (and it looks like your does too):
deutsch - 413.pks
english - 409.pks
Spanish - 0c0a.pks
French - 40c.pks
Italian - 410.pks

xda-developers - View Single Post - [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List up to WP 7.8 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates

Everything that i've read says there won't be a 7.8 update for the original samsung focus.
Thanks. I noticed that Deutsch(German) is actual 407 and not 413 (Dutch). Did you push the wrong cab by mistake?

korg250

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Note that my Focus is the AT&T model but I flashed it long ago with the original retail Rogers ROM (which is practically stock WP original rom) because I hated all the stupid personalizations made by AT&T, so my Focus thinks it's an i917R instead of an i917 - this could be why I was able to do the disconnect thing.

That's true and that's what I did. I flashed my Focus from AT&T to Rogers and later updated through Zune using the disconnect trick.

fpetro22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I updated my original Samsung Focus two days ago here in New York on AT&T. I did a registry edit (Local Machine \System\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo\MobileOperator) and changed the mobile operator from ATT-US to ROG-CA, plugged into Zune, hit update and......Bingo!

Sotal

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I've done this before with an LG. What did you use? Is it possible to get through to edit using the Diagnosis tool built in?

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yup, I just finished updating the second of our 2 Focii to 7.8 via the ROG-CA registry edit and Zune. 2 very different experiences with the 2 phones but both successfully updated.

winphoneaddict

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
My son-in-laws Focus(i917-R), was showing updates available, so I updated it for him on Zune just a while ago. Now rocking 7.8, and works and looks like a new phone. No problems at all. And really....7.8 might not be Windows Phone 8.....but it is stable, fast, and a reasonably good effort by MSFT as an update for 1st and 2nd generation hardware.

fpostrow

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Yea, you need to be able to edit the phones reg via windowbreak and installing wp7roottools through the wp7.5 sdk. It's not as complicated as it sounds but is worth reading up on first.

kxcd

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I used the SevenEighter app today and updated my Samsung Focus i917 to 7.8.

Tried using the Zune, pulling the lan cable method about 50 times with no luck so I searched and found the SevenEighter app. I couldn't wait anymore. 7+ month is a joke...

Did it first on my wife's old LG-C900 that was running 7.10.7720 to try it out first. It seemed to work fine.

The SevenEighter app automatically applied five updates plus a backup to my Focus that was running 7.10.8107.79. Took 50+ minutes total. Downloaded the 78er app. and the the WP7 Updater tool that the app indicated I needed. Unzipped both into a folder. Started the app and it found the phone and automatically downloads all updates, installs and resets the phone each time. Here's the gist of the updates:

Connected via wireless connection on my laptop so it might have gone faster if I was direct connected...

Started at version 8107.79
Launched the app.
Select what language packs you want to install
Took about 11 mins of showing the connection screen only before the progress bar showed up and started. Whew!
Took 9 mins for the install of the first update. Installed version .8112.7

Note: If you want to see versions; after the Start screen comes up, you can quickly go to Settings-About-More to look at the version number but must do quickly before the next update starts.

Automatically began second update. Took 7 mins. Installed .8773.98
Minute later a backup began. Took 9 mins.
Immediate third update took approx. 3 minutes. I believe it installed .8779.8 but since the next update started, I didn't have time to look at version number.
Fourth update began and took about 2 mins. Version .8783.12
Fifth update began and took approx. 5 mins. Look for blue Windows Phone splash screen. Success! Version .8858.136 - Windows Update 7.8!!! America, F&%k yeah!!

Only differences I've seen with limited use today:

Resizing tiles on Start screen. I like it!
Several more colors in themes. Cool!
Bing Pic of Day on your lock screen. No thanks
Outlook tile, Office tile have slightly different icons now.

That's all that I've seen so far.

I noticed that if you resize a Live tile to the smallest size, it no longer acts as a Live tile.
Having no gutter on the right side is nice.

Search the net for SevenEighter. Easy as pie...

Last edited:

lebow7

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Not knowing a whole lot about updating via CAB files, I gave the Seven-Eighter application a try tonight on my AT&T i917 Focus.

As kxcd mentioned above, the process was very easy and painless. The only issue that I ran into was that the updater timed out during the .8112.7 update, likely due to me not paying enough attention and unlocking the phone after a restart. After exiting the Seven-Eighter application and unlocking the lock screen, the update process started right up upon running the application again.

The only thing to mention is to familiarize yourself with the languages required on your phone before starting. (Setting => Keyboard). I read that some people had issues afterwards when the languages were incorrectly chosen. You can confirm the languages to be installed on the phone in the application.

Great program, and I recommend it if you're stuck with AT&T and would like the 7.8 update delivered in a simplified way. Comparing to my Zune-updated Nokia Lumia 800 (running 7.8), all functionality seems to have been brought forward with the i917 Focus after the update.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Still no update for my focus from Rogers... I give up the wait. Hello Z10!

I have a Rogers focus and I just got 7.8 last night using the disconnect trick.
  1. Put your phone in airplane mode.
  2. Plug it into zune, click settings, click update.
  3. After about 2-3 seconds unplug your internet or turn off wifi.
  4. Now wait. If you are successful, it will say "update available", if you turned off wifi too soon it will say "cannot connect", if you turned off wifi too late it will say your phone is "up to date".
  5. If it didn't work keep trying, just click on something else, turn wifi back on, then click update again and turn wifi off (I sometimes disconnected the phone in between but I don't know if that matters).
  6. If it worked, turn WIFI back on and click to install the update.
  7. You will have to do this 3 times as the 7.8 update is 3 separate updates.

HalM

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I am running a totally stock AT&T Focus. I tried Seven-Eighter. It got me to 8112.7 but all other updates fail with Update Error 80180048. I did a complete reset of the phone as suggested back in Tango days but no joy. It errors out every time now.

Anyone have a suggestion?

chucko

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem with my i917 (1.3) focus. I just kept running the seveneighter app over and over again and finally I got there. I also shutdown the phone and removed the battery a time or two. Pay attention to the installed languages (settings -> region+languages - > select the drop down on display language to see what your options are) and make sure that you select those languages when running the seveneighter app.

I probably ended up running the seveneighter app about 6-8 different times before it made it all of the way through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss