battery drains in connected standby

hbahaie

Jun 13, 2016
Visit site
mine is less drain on 14342 build. its actually my daily driver right now
it seems that you are windows insider participant, I have never installed an insider build on my tabpro, does it keep the samsung software and driver or replace it by a native windows version?

claud0902

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I noticed the same issue on my tabpro s. In about 20 hours standby the tablet will lose around 16% battery. I ran the powercfg sleepstudy report and could not locate a reason of the drain as the top 5 offending activities are all green which do not conclude what caused battery to lose.

Set the wifi on/off in sleep did not result in much difference (2~3% less drain maybe). Tried updating battery driver, wifi driver, uninstalled all Samsung softwares except samsung update and recovery, but still no luck.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My battery is draining while the tablet is off is that normal? i dont think it is. About a week ago i turned it on to connect it to my new ssid. I charged it to 100% and shut it down. i turn it on today and battery is at 53%, im been on it for about 10min waiting for this forum to load (not sure why windows central takes so long but android central is super quick) and now the batter is at 31%. when i first got the tablet battery was great but now looks really bad.

UPDATE: contacted Samsung, agent told me to run battery calibration and check back to open a repair ticket if issue continues. So i did. Next day same issue so i contacted samsung, they gave me the repair ticket website (which wasnt working), i had to contact them again, instead of opening repair ticket this agent make me do a factory reset. 2.5 hours later No change. And its worse. Tab's been charging for over 12 hours now. and its only at 70% capacity (using the charger that came with it), and its powered off.

Last edited:

Acidrop

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up my new Tabpro S on Saturday and I'm shocked by the battery drain in standby mode. I've used an iPad up to now but hate Apple stuff so decided to go for the Tabpro S. There is literally zero battery drain on my iPad in standby mode and it lasts for weeks if I don't use it.

The Tabpro just gradually eats through the battery life in standby, and when you want to use it you need to charge it!

Please tell me there is something that can be done about this as I don't really want it to hibernate as you have to restart it every time you want to use it. Think I need to hold on to the iPad for a while longer...

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I too used the command powercfg /energy and looked at the results and found a strange error:

[Sadly it is in German:)
Funktionen der Plattformenergieverwaltung:pCI Express-ASPM (Active-State Power Management) deaktiviert
PCI Express-ASPM (Active-State Power Management) wurde aufgrund einer bekannten Inkompatibilit?t mit der Computerhardware deaktiviert.

I do not know how Microsoft translated it but it could be something like:

function of the platform energy management: PCI Express-ASPM (active state power management) disabled
PCI Express-ASPM (active state power management) is disabled because of an known incompatibility with the computer hardware.

And I remember that the screen flickered the first time I installed and updated Windows and drivers but now this issue is gone; maybe this disabling solved the issue and affects now power consumption. So, the newer graphics driver solves a problem but is consuming more energy, maybe?

Big Beard

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Same issue here. Tab is always dead after I wake up. Pretty poor battery life...i get not even half of the advertised 10 hours when using it with onenote simply browsing.

Delirious D

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
SOOOOO I BELIEVE I FOUND A FIX!

i googled the issue as a in general subject "should laptop batteries drain while powered off" in one forum a posted said to disable fast boot. i asked some of my pc tech friends and they said fast boot does drain battery. so i disabled it and immediatly noticed a different. before everytime i would reboot the battery level was dropped by 10-20% so if i was at 100 when i shut down i would be at 90 or 80 when i powered back up.. and less if it was after a few days. yesterday i charged to 100 disabled fast boot. powered down. waited a few hours then powered back up. battery was at 98%. Then i totally forgot about the tab and let it there unplugged. it went to slepp/hibernate whatever it does when you dont touch it. that was yesterday at 9am it is now 1am the next day the battery was at 74% THATS A HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMPROVEMENT.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm that this helps a lot, but I went a step further and disabled the biggest culprit for me because even after disabling fast start-up I had pretty bad standby times; so I disabled OneDrive altogether and created a shortcut to its file on my desktop to start it at will and with both disabled I get a battery drain during sleep of around 0,25% per hour. With fast start-up enabled and OneDrive disabled it was around 0,50% per hour, thus the culprit could be a bit different depending on the settings of the device, maybe.

To summarize it, I have to disable both fast start-up and OneDrive to save my batter during sleep. I got a new firmware update today but was too lazy to try if it helps with this issue, still I do not mind to disable OneDrive before I put my device to sleep as it is the most demanding service during startup anyway.

Last edited:

MBro1

Sep 27, 2017
Visit site
This thread is a bit old but I've found that after disabling Chrome "continue running background apps" in advanced settings has almost stopped all loss of battery when in standby. I can leave it for a week and hardly loose any battery level!

I can confirm that this helps a lot, but I went a step further and disabled the biggest culprit for me because even after disabling fast start-up I had pretty bad standby times; so I disabled OneDrive altogether and created a shortcut to its file on my desktop to start it at will and with both disabled I get a battery drain during sleep of around 0,25% per hour. With fast start-up enabled and OneDrive disabled it was around 0,50% per hour, thus the culprit could be a bit different depending on the settings of the device, maybe.

To summarize it, I have to disable both fast start-up and OneDrive to save my batter during sleep. I got a new firmware update today but was too lazy to try if it helps with this issue, still I do not mind to disable OneDrive before I put my device to sleep as it is the most demanding service during startup anyway.

areithropos

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
As I wrote, for me I found a solution: disabling fast start-up.

Currently, I enabled OneDrive again and so far it does not impact the battery life any longer. It is because the device does not support an actual sleep mode but instead some kind of hibernate and one has to put it into hibernation to save the battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre