Flashing Omnia 7 (Debranding)

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
NoDo update was fine, Zune prompted me just fine about that update. It was after NoDo that Zune didnt want to prompt the Mango update. I thought it may work this morning, but still no prompt so I tried the forced update. Worked first time, much to my amazement! Currently on Step 2 of 9, for 7.10.7720.68 update.

[Edit] Was reluctant to use the force update method on Zune as I was worried I wouldnt get the appropriate Samsung firmware upgrade also. Is there anyway I can check that this firmware upgrade has been installed/applied to the handset WeeBear? You mentioned the compass app?...

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If you have 2424.11.8.5 you should be fine karupin101. (Settings / About / More Info)

I got my firmware update by the forcing method so you should get it fine too.

There's an app called mango compass, if it loads and runs OK you're fine.

(Not a good app i found, as it seems to point anywhere, but good enough to see if you have the updated firmware OK)

Don't forget the Samsung Now app won't update as it's still currently Kaput for everyone, so please don't think you have a problem with your phone. :)

Last edited:

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been mangofied! Only had a chance now to post, but the update went straight forward. Firmware version is as you posted WeeBear :) I just love how slick this thing is!!

Multi-app switching, how I have longed for you....

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
My phone has been mangofied! Only had a chance now to post, but the update went straight forward. Firmware version is as you posted WeeBear :) I just love how slick this thing is!!

Multi-app switching, how I have longed for you....
Aw fantastic news karupin101, i can breathe again LOL.

I was always worried incase something went wrong and would feel partly to blame as I suggested the ROM flash LOL

All's well that ends well, enjoy your new Mangoised Omnia 7 karupin101. :)

(Thanks for my thanks) :)

Last edited:

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Many thanks for your help WeeBear throughout the whole process. Cannot express my gratitude.

Now I've got to get round learning all these new additions to Mango, there are so many new features! Still a bit dissappointed that Microsoft havent integrated their live messenger into the sms/facebook threading messaging.

Oh well, whatsapp is keeping me happy for now.

Any helpful hints or tips for a new mango user?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
You're very welcome karupin101. While not a user of Messenger myself, is it not present when you look at your contacts on the windowsphone website?

Maybe it's not integrated, i'm sure someone will pop in and assist you regarding messenger.

Windows Phone 7 | Windows Phone | Microsoft Windows Phone 7 | Windows Phone 7

Not really got any hints to give you other than to enjoy it lol.

Oh one thing karupin101, pop into....

Settings / Region & Language / Browser & Search Language (Right at the bottom) and set it to English US

This will enable more features in Bing Vision. :)

Other than that, can't think of anything else. Hope you have fun tinkering with the new goodies. :)

Last edited:

swammingo

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
need help !

Hi,

I bought this 16gb Omnia unlocked from Amazon. It has the T-mobile logo when booting up. no other branding on the phone, well except that it had preinstalled T-mobile apps, and the IE default search goes to the german t-mobile site.

Oh yes and first time it started with german language and i had to change it to english. I am on AT&T, here in US and the OS is version 7392.

I am tired to waiting for Mango as well. Can i use this method / ROM on my cell too ?

Here are other details :
Firmware Rev number : 2424.11.2.3
Hardware Rev. Number : 3.15.0.4
Radio : 2424.11.2.2
Radio HW : 0.0.0.800
Bootloader : 5.2.1.4
Chip SOC : 0.36.2.0

I have no prior experience in flashing any phone so its all new for me. But the wait for Mango is definately killing me.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

Welcome along to WPCentral swammingo. :)

The ROM that's used for flashing here is an unbranded UK one.

The 16GB Omnia 7 is only available in Germany so I honestly can't say that this would work or not as it's a UK ROM.

Whether it could cope with the 16 GB of memory rather then the expected 8 GB I can't say to be honest.

Wouldn't like you to do it then the extra 8GB would cause problems. I really don't know.

swammingo

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I was worried about that too...

oh well ... all i can do now is wait for T-mobile to release Mango.... I guess some day i will be mango-fied !

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes the ROM flashing is fairy straight forward swammingo, just with the unexpected extra memory it might throw a wobbly.

Yep just some of the patience stuff for now it will have to be I guess.

I know what you're feeling as I have none either lol.

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hiya, quick return to the thread.

I have been loving my mango omnia 7! A few niggles, one of which I know is a result of flashing to the unbranded ROM. under Mobile Network in the settings, I no longer have an option to toggle 3G data services. No big deal really, but it was something I used alot before to conserve battery life.

Also another problem is still the chat option through windows live messenger. I have got the facebook side to work, but live messenger is definitely testing my patience. I think has something to do with the fact that I have completely made a new live account which was dedicated to this phone when I first got it. I then proceeded to import all my contacts via gmail, I just preferred it that way. Anyway, whenever I add people to my live messenger contact list using the PC, I get an extra contact in my contact list, which I cant link together with my live mail account as, "you cant have two contacts using the same live account details" It's all very confusing.

But, other than that, I'm loving mango, so fast and slick.

Just to point out, the samsung now app has just updated for me, its now called, "Daily Briefing" and works very well. I'm not sure if the tile is a live tile, but I have the name of the location on the tile, with the current temperature and weather icon. Havent seen it change as of yet, but still. It does now work.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi karupin, my data setting is in Settings / Mobile Netork / Data On/Off
You don't have that now?

Don't use messenger i'm afraid karupin but the live tile settings for the Now app is 3 pans to the left and settings at the bottom, 1 pan to the right (Live Tile) and make sure weather is ticked.

You can add news as another live tile from here too should you wish to. :)

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi karupin, my data setting is in Settings / Mobile Netork / Data On/Off
You don't have that now?

I've got the data connection setting, its just on my previous stock t-mobile rom, I had an additional option underneath the data connection which would toggle 3G data on or off. It was just something I used alot.

Thanks for the samsung Now app live tiles hint. Got them set properly now. I think the app is actually quite good now, before it was kinda, "meh" but now, it definitely seems much faster and more integrated.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
I bought this 16gb Omnia unlocked from Amazon. It has the T-mobile logo when booting up. no other branding on the phone, well except that it had preinstalled T-mobile apps, and the IE default search goes to the german t-mobile site...

I am tired to waiting for Mango as well. Can i use this method / ROM on my cell too ?
I've just taken the plunge and ordered a 16GB Omnia 7, also originally from Germany.

Is their a debranding method for this?

swammingo

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Are updates available ... really ?

Hi !

I saw a post on the T Mobile UK group that updates are available via Zune for Omnia 7 !!! As i got mine from Germany, I wonder if i will be mango-fied too ...

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi !

I saw a post on the T Mobile UK group that updates are available via Zune for Omnia 7 !!! As i got mine from Germany, I wonder if i will be mango-fied too ...
Yes it's reported that at long last the T-Mobile UK Mango rollout started today. Not before time. :)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I've just taken the plunge and ordered a 16GB Omnia 7, also originally from Germany.

Is their a debranding method for this?

Most of the ROMS i have tried on my Omnia are for the standard 8GB models.

Whether there are specific ROMS that deal with the 16GB model I'm not sure Stig.

Wouldn't like you to try one and have problems with your extra memory.

I had a couple of unbranded ROMS on my Omnia a couple of days ago and they wouldn't upate to include the tethering firmware.

As soon as I went back to the 3 UK ROM boom, I got the update straight away.

It seems for the moment anyway, that unbranded ROMS aren't getting tethering enabled.

swammingo

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I am super excited now...

still at work and with this news and hope that the T-mobile Samsung omnia 7 mango rollout has started .... i am just waiting to go home.

I hope to be mango-fied tonight !!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium