Flashing Omnia 7 (Debranding)

swammingo

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
the only worry that i have is all over google .. its T-Mobile UK and the phone i have had was shipped from Germany and first boot started with German language, rather than English.

I will be soooooooo sad if this T Mobile news is only for UK devices and not "All".

Keeping fingers crossed....

swammingo

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Did it just come through Zune, or had you previously done something to the phone to force the update?

Yess. I connected to Zune and boom .... update available !!! It did take some time though .. did some 2 -3 updates and then i had Maango !!!

still not over the excitement of getting Mango !!!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thats good it went smoothly for you swammingo, yes theres a couple of updates before you get the Mango update.

Have fun discovering all the little differences and improvements. :)

Only thing i'd suggest is to set your browser and search laguage in settings to english US to enable a few more bing vision goodies. (DVD & CD scanning)

Prices will be no good, but it's fun playing. (If you are anything like me) :)

You can always pop it back when you are done experimenting.

Last edited:

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
The only ROMS i know of that exist are clean retail ones karupin101. (Non carrier) There was a T-Mobile one i tried a while back but it was german.
I've never came across anything to back up your ROM unfortunately.
OK, I now have Mango on my German/Dutch(?) T-Mobile 16GB Omnia 7. Obviously I have changed all the settings to UK English, but I'm still wondering whether to put a generic UK ROM on it.

Is the one discussed earlier still the only ROM available?

What are your thoughts?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If you pop in a debranded UK ROM you won't currently get a firmware update for tethering Stig. (Internet Sharing)

(That's the only specific UK retail ROM i've came across, it's included in the selection below.)

Here is a collection of carrier Samsung Omnia 7 ROMS

Omnia 7 i8700 ALL VERSIONS AND CSCs RETAIL ROMs (now even some NODO) - xda-developers

There's is a specific T Mobile UK one listed there.

If everything is working fine for you, I would just stick with what you have I think Stig.

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
I tend to agree with your 'leave it alone' advice.

Is any of the bundled T-Mobile UK software any good? The German apps looked interesting, but of course they refused to work with my SIM card.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
No idea about the T-Mobile software myself Stig i'm afraid as i'm with 3, who give you nothing but a 3 app which amounts to nothing more than links to websites.

I'm sure someone on T-Mobile UK will chip in with their advice.

Thanks for my thanks by the way. :)

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Can I just update the firmware on the device? (And so not loose any data on it.)

As I've mentioned before I have Mango but the firmware didn't get updated so it can't access the compass etc..

I've looked on SamFirmware.com but can't make out which firmware is which (since the numbers they use bear no resemblance to the 2424.11.8.5 (or higher) I'm looking for.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi Podsnap unfortunately if you flash one of the SamFirmware ROMS you will lose everything on your phone.

What network are you on again was it T Mobile ?

There are carrier specific ROMS on the XDA developer forrums, i went back to a 3 UK one as my unbranded Omnia didn't get the Internet Sharing option.

I got it after updating through Zune with my 3 ROM and got it fine.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ah, that's rubbish!

I'm on Virgin Mobile (who use the T-Mobile network).

I was hoping that when T-Mobile released the update I'd get my firmware updated.

Sadly nothing so far.

Oh well, next week sometime, I'll have to go through the whole process yet again! :(

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if T-Mobile UK have the added firmware update after Mango, I thought they did to be honest, but not 100% sure.

Perhaps someone will pop in and confirm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss