Internet Sharing (Tethering)

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

Just checking to see if anyone has received the update to enable internet sharing on there unlocked Omnia 7s (I have checked mine still nothing), as some carries have now started rolling this update out, it would be great if Samsung and Microsoft pushed the update out for unlocked handsets also, I think it will be a bit of joke if they don't, I am currently on O2 and am paying for tethering as it comers with my tariff, so would be great to actually use this service.

Cheers,
Martin

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I had 3 different Omnia ROMS flashed yesterday (2 Retail UK & SFR) and none of them recieved the internet sharing update.

I flashed an old 3 UK ROM and after updating to Mango sure enough I got the firmware update for internet sharing.

So as you say it looks like it's carrier specific at the moment.

stimshady

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
got it...

yes, i have it, updated Omnia 7 to Mango this morning (wooohoooo!!) and internet sharing is on there... finally got Mango :)

(only weird thing which happened was the battery took about 8 hours to charge after Mango was installed (it was nearly flat), hoping it lasts longer too!)

welsbloke

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
All my T mobile UK branded devices have now updated to 7.5 and all have tethering the 3 unbranded Omnia's all got the 7.5 update lickikty split weeks ago but none however have recieved the firmware upgrade that would allow tethering. This is a shame as each phone has Web and Walk on them and so tethering when supported by the device.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
All my T mobile UK branded devices have now updated to 7.5 and all have tethering the 3 unbranded Omnia's all got the 7.5 update lickikty split weeks ago but none however have recieved the firmware upgrade that would allow tethering. This is a shame as each phone has Web and Walk on them and so tethering when supported by the device.
I'm sure the tethering addition will eventually be pushed to unbranded Omnia 7's welsbloke, just not quite yet. :)

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replies guys,

I have just re-flashed my handset using the t-mobile rom, I now have tethering, the only difference is that you have the oem start-up screen going to test over the next few days, and then decide if I will flash back

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replies guys,

I have just re-flashed my handset using the t-mobile rom, I now have tethering, the only difference is that you have the oem start-up screen going to test over the next few days, and then decide if I will flash back
You're welcome MangoGuy, this did initially annoy me seeing the 3 logo on the screen on bootup, but it's only visible once a day.

I'd rather suffer this small 'YUK' and have tethering enabled, than no tethering with no 3 boot logo LOL. :)

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for replies guys,

Do you have a link to the ROM you used? I have a German T-Mobile ROM I'd like to get rid off.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for replies guys,

Hi,

I'm thinking of flashing my Omnia 7 back to its original T-Mobile image (I flashed to unbranded to get Mango in a reasonable timeframe) to get tethering. Couple of questions though.

* Does the search button inside IE still go to the pointless T-Mobile search page, or does it go to the proper built in Bing search?
* Do T-Mobile charge extra when using the phone tethered? I've got the internet booster on my account.

Thanks

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi TGBmark1234,

I am currently on O2 running the T-Mobile rom just so I can get Tethering, I have checked IE for you and yes it does have the annoying T-Mobile search, however, within the settings menu, under Internet Explorer you can change from web search to Bing which stops T-mobile being default search engine.

As for T-mobile extra charges you will need to take that up with them, as I am not sure, with O2 you have get it part of you allowance

Hope this helps

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I got an update msg tonight, but I'm holding off on taking it. Until I find out if:

1) I have an international unlocked Omnia. I already hacked my phone to enable free wifi tethering. If I take this update will I have to start paying At&t for it?
2) Will it remove my interop unlock?

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi gekkoace,

I have just received 2 updates from Samsung on my handset (Not sure what they where), I have now reverted back to the original rom, non t-mobile and guess what, no tethering, such a disappointment!!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I got an update msg tonight, but I'm holding off on taking it. Until I find out if:

1) I have an international unlocked Omnia. I already hacked my phone to enable free wifi tethering. If I take this update will I have to start paying At&t for it?
2) Will it remove my interop unlock?

I would think it's a Samsung update.

All I know is that AT&T says they are cracking down on tethering. I really doubt that they can check an unbranded/unlocked phone.

I have an unbranded/unlocked GSM Trophy from Germany. Mine is still fully unlocked after all the updates. One of the updates did add AT&T AppCenter to my marketplace, I guess because of my SIM card.

JoseCortesP

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Just installed two updates, and no Internet Sharing... What's most sad is that, here in Costa Rica is illegal to charge you more if you do Internet Sharing, and with 1.5 MB unlimited data plan its not good not to have Internet Sharing...

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I am currently on O2 running the T-Mobile rom just so I can get Tethering, I have checked IE for you and yes it does have the annoying T-Mobile search, however, within the settings menu, under Internet Explorer you can change from web search to Bing which stops T-mobile being default search engine.

Thanks. It's good that it can be turned off as I think this would be a showstopper for me. I hated seeing that T-Mobile page everytime I accidentally pressed search. I hope that the option is new in Mango and I didn't just miss it in NoDo - I'd kick myself!

As for T-mobile extra charges you will need to take that up with them, as I am not sure, with O2 you have get it part of you allowance

I've asked and they say there are no extra charges. Hurrah!

Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm going back to a T-Mobile ROM.

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Glad to Help!!

Thanks. It's good that it can be turned off as I think this would be a showstopper for me. I hated seeing that T-Mobile page everytime I accidentally pressed search. I hope that the option is new in Mango and I didn't just miss it in NoDo - I'd kick myself!

I've asked and they say there are no extra charges. Hurrah!

Thanks for your help. Looks like I'm going back to a T-Mobile ROM.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi, just to say that I'm back on the T-Mobile ROM now and tethering is present, as expected. I've also noticed that the option to disable 3G data is back, it's not there on the unbranded version. There is some app present as well called "Help+How to" that I don't remember from before.

However in the course of the reflash and several resets one of the default ringtones has vanished - the one I used because it was the only reasonable sounding one! It was called Single Tone, or something like that. It was there and then suddenly, it wasn't. I hate ringtones; I just want my phone to sound like a phone when it rings, and for the first time ever I've had to download a custom ringtone to achieve this. I feel dirty!

perbear

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
When Tethering was first announced in the forums a picture was shown of the Setting with the heading EXTRA or something to that effect. When I noticed I had Tethering in my settings its heading is Internet sharing. I am still not sure what to do with it. Still now sign of the 7740 update on 3 Sweden.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)