Omnia 7 wifi troubles

omniajosh

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My omnia 7 for some reason has absoloutley terrible internet connection over wifi. it very rarely goes over half a mb per second and often doesnt connect at all. other devices in the same house (like my ipod touch) are constantly fine and get speeds like 4mb/s depending on how far away from the modem they are.

i have tried everything to fix this, i have restored my phone, updated it, turned on/off everything and even taken it to my provider to get the phone repaired. nothing has worked

has anyone else had these troubles? any tips would be great

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
My omnia 7 for some reason has absoloutley terrible internet connection over wifi. it very rarely goes over half a mb per second and often doesnt connect at all.

Interesting to hear this, omniajosh. I've just noticed the same thing with mine. I have been having a number of issues with WiFi and my Omnia 7. Mostly with it not connecting to my router at home. After much searching the internet and evetually giving up, I noticed that the connection issue was fine after the Mango update.

However, I have been trying to get to the bottom of why browsing, downloading large games and syncing over WiFi was taking ages (in the case of syncing, I tried and gave up numerous times). I hadn't thought about installing a speedtest app until someone mentioned it on here the other day. When I did try "Bandwidth" I was suprised to see that speeds hardly ever got to the 1mb mark, usually around 0.6mb. It has to be the way the phone communicates with the router, I tried the same app with my wife's Lumia, and she was getting 14-15mb, which is correct. I'm still getting 0.6mb.

I have tried everything I can think of - rolling back to the last update, reinstalling the latest update, changing my router settings from b/g/n to b/g only, plus a load of other stuff.

It has to be the phone, as every other WiFi device works fine.

I have no idea what else to do, other than just accept that this is something that Samsung will need to sort out via firmware update.

omniajosh

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies and the link. Massifheed, i think i dont have either of these problems. My phone struggles to ever get 0.5mb/s and half the time these days seems to not get any connection at all. I have previously tried gettingmy phone repaired by taking it into my australian provider but all they only restored it (this for some reason took a month). I'm pretty sure my phone is just a hardware defect and not a widespread problem. What do you guys think?

Also, if it is any help, my phone has perfect upload speeds!

Cheers,

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
My problem is that wifi works for a few seconds (for example, just long enought to do a Bing search) and then just stalls. If I turn wifi off and on again it may work for a while.

Is there any hope of getting this fixed?

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Ok some more reading has given me a workaround; if I turn off mobile data then the WiFi works fine! This is obviously a bug which up has never been fixed.

OS 7.10.8107.79
Firmware 2424.11.9.4
Hardware 3.15.0.4
Radio hardware 0.0.0.800

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos