Wow nothing here yet?!?! Just got my Saga ...

Misfit

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
I just got my Saga yesterday after being a long time (too long) owner of a 700w, not sure how I feel about the device yet...

The device is very solid, but definitely needs some customization.

Would really like a GPS that's not locked down to the crappy VZNav software...

bookie13523

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
it requires a data plan, right? --> even so, can it "just" use the $30 plan?

how is its battery?

i haven't really found any real reviews online

i guess i could, just get it for 30 days to try it out myself...

bookie13523

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
can the battery last through the day? --> is it better than the centro which, as far as I can tell, seems to really stink in the battery department (not to mention the stone/ice age OS)

Dieter Bohn

Ex Editor in Chief
Feb 1, 2001
smartphoneexperts.com
I just got my Saga yesterday after being a long time (too long) owner of a 700w, not sure how I feel about the device yet...

The device is very solid, but definitely needs some customization.

Would really like a GPS that's not locked down to the crappy VZNav software...

I'm betting that the hack for that won't take too long....

Misfit

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
it requires a data plan, right? --> even so, can it "just" use the $30 plan?

how is its battery?

i haven't really found any real reviews online

i guess i could, just get it for 30 days to try it out myself...

Yeah, it requires a data plan (I already had one for my 700w), yes I believe you can get the $30 plan.

Battery ok, I think I'll be able to make it through the day, but not positive yet. I had the Siedio extended battery for my 700w and I could almost always make it through the day without charging...

efudd

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
I just ordered mine tonight from my business rep-

waiting for him to email me back the approval.

I've been a treo user for years, had a 600,650,700p, centro. Between the 700p and centro I tried WM on the xv6800. Couldn't stand the slider- just stuck in my ways with the front facing keyboard. I'm done waiting for palm to talk verizon into the pro or 800w on verizon. (I was done waiting on palm for an update when i got the 6800 last year- but the keyboard forced me back to palm....)

said to say I'm done with palm.

maybe in a couple years nova lures me back. But I'm thinking I'll be pretty well set with wm by that point so they are going to need to really wow me with that.

acoem2584

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
We're hoping to pick up a saga for WME HQ this week!

acoem2584: how's that dpad, erm, mouse?

I actually love the opitcal mouse, but you can also turn it back to a dpad by clicking the side button. I thought the mouse would be a deal breaker for me prior to having one to play with. Also the color is not as bad as it appears on the website. It is a blue-gray, versus a royal blue.

acoem2584

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
Battery ok, I think I'll be able to make it through the day, but not positive yet. I had the Siedio extended battery for my 700w and I could almost always make it through the day without charging...

Yeah I had the same ext batt with my 700w, the Saga sure does chew through some juice!

ipaq.r.us

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
I have been testing the Saga for about 2 months now and from the Beta firmware i'm using, the battery lasts almost a full 8hr work day. That's with ActiveSync setup, about 30-40 emails through the day, 5-6 calendar reminders, and about 10-15 phone calls with a max call of 1hr in length.

I talked to my vzw rep and they shipped me a new Saga (i770) with updated firmware for the battery life. I did the same testing and it lasted me around 10-12hrs. I still have to charge every night, but this new firmware seems to last a few hrs longer than before.

*again, will depend on your usage and signal strength. most of these were in 3-4 bar range and wifi off. with wifi on kills battery, but not as fast as it did with the i760.

ipaq.r.us

Nov 24, 2008
Visit site
I actually love the opitcal mouse, but you can also turn it back to a dpad by clicking the side button. I thought the mouse would be a deal breaker for me prior to having one to play with. Also the color is not as bad as it appears on the website. It is a blue-gray, versus a royal blue.

i too love the optical mouse, but you have to set it on fast. otherwise it take a lot of moving around to get it where you want it.

also on the "navigation mode" sucks. i kinda wish if you changed it to this option, it was more of a 5 way button instead of a "touch pad".

efudd

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
i too love the optical mouse, but you have to set it on fast. otherwise it take a lot of moving around to get it where you want it.

also on the "navigation mode" sucks. i kinda wish if you changed it to this option, it was more of a 5 way button instead of a "touch pad".

couldn't agree more.

optical kicks butt for many things. With mouse mode you NEVER need to take the stylus out (except to use for the requisite - I'm a windows device and locked up- resets - laughing). The way you can drag and drop by holding down and sliding your finger is really wild. I can see this becoming more universal.

But certain apps just don't play nice with the mouse mode and you need nav mode- and it is just not as efficient as a 5way. i wonder if the optical mouse sees position or just movement- if it sees position then maybe they can tweak the nav mode to act more like a 5way. Or maybe those apps get updated.... For example the configuration program for slide2lock has flo on it and in nav mode the optical mouse acts just like if you flick your finger on the screen, but it's better because your thumb is already on the mouse anyway.

gizmo_guy

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Im a Verizon Sales Manager. The $29.99 Email and Web add-on is for personal use. If you will be attaching to a server at your company you will need the $44.99 add-on. Also there is supposed to be a switch on the side to convert the optical mouse so that it functions like a D-pad.

Hope this helps. I will post a comprehensive review in a couple days after I play with it for a while. (My Saga finally arrives tomorrow)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077