Samsung i830w now available on Sprints Website

oalvarez

Apr 25, 2004
Visit site
4 crashes, needs an extended battery, is thicker than a treo, and requires a slideout.....i suppose that takes me out of the equation....

how heavy is it?

Big Tone

May 6, 2005
www.eduhwy.com
Are the connections the same as the i730's? I see lots of deals on accessories on eBay for the i730. If they fit this phone that will be an even bigger advantage over the wx. I saw an OEM extended battery for about $15!

IsLNdbOi

Oct 31, 2004
Visit site
Are the connections the same as the i730's? I see lots of deals on accessories on eBay for the i730. If they fit this phone that will be an even bigger advantage over the wx. I saw an OEM extended battery for about $15!

Yes it has the same connector as the i730. I just ordered a Samsung brand \ OEM i730 cradle and it works perfectly. Cases for the i730 fit perfectly as well.

porcaccio

Nov 23, 2003
Visit site
Got Mine today....

Well, I got mine today. Played around with the mechanism, the screen is good, and the build quality great. But.... I'm not seeing the increase in real estate from my 700wx that would make me want to keep it over the treo. The keyboard is quite good as well.

Maybe I am just not wow'ed enough... It's probably going to go back quite soon....

IsLNdbOi

Oct 31, 2004
Visit site
Well, I got mine today. Played around with the mechanism, the screen is good, and the build quality great. But.... I'm not seeing the increase in real estate from my 700wx that would make me want to keep it over the treo. The keyboard is quite good as well.

Maybe I am just not wow'ed enough... It's probably going to go back quite soon....

How can you not see the increased screen real estate? The screen is physically bigger and it has more pixels. Did you put the two side-by-side and try loading the same website (try loading the non-mobile version of whatever site you do this test with)?

Anyway, I'm not willing to wait for developers to get off their butts and start creating 240x240 native versions of their apps.. The IP-830W has a standard 240x320 qvga screen and 95% of all WM5 apps. have a 240x320 native version already.

porcaccio

Nov 23, 2003
Visit site
I didn't mean it that way. What I meant is that the extra screen real estate that I seem to be getting isn't that much more. However, I will test it to see how it compares to the Treo. What is your battery life when using it as a phone?

I think the bigger issue with not wanting to keep it has to do with the fact that I WILL upgrade to the new phones when Rev A is released, because my biggest peeve about CDMA has always been the inability to do both voice and data at the same time.

porcaccio

Nov 23, 2003
Visit site
ok, so i activated the phone and am having a couple of issues, i hope someone can help me with. the unit doesn't seem to want to stay closed when i am on the phone. is there a lock somewhere?

next, my phone calls have echo and static, which was not prevalent on my treo, on the other hand, the quality of the other person's voice seems to be much better (treo was somewhat muffled).

IsLNdbOi

Oct 31, 2004
Visit site
What do you mean it "doesn't seem to want to stay closed"? The phone keeps sliding back up? Dunno what could be causing you to have echo and static. What apps. do you have installed?

ahalvor

Nov 7, 2003
www.onmyhip.com
okay so we got a bunch in today and played with them. They will serve their purpose but they dont really hold a candle to the WX. The keyboard alone is reason to stay away...who the hell has fingers that tiny?

porcaccio

Nov 23, 2003
Visit site
I actually found the keyboard more than usable. The keys are well placed and have good tactile feel, and I don't have small hands...

IE renders quite faster than the Treo 700Wx and the Launcher on the Today screen replaces the Start button quite well. I'm not enamored with the phone in any way shape or form, but I can say that there is a good reason why there are a number of loyal followers.

That said, Palm's UI tweaks do make the Treo the one to beat....

KStewart

Mar 19, 2006
Visit site
I finally got my hands on the i830 and even though I like it, I am not ready to let go of my Treo. I just can't get used to the slide-n-hide. Other than that I really liked the device.

IsLNdbOi

Oct 31, 2004
Visit site
It keeps sliding down when I am talking.

That's weird. What in the world are you doing to it when you're talking? How are you holding it?

I've never read about anyone having this type of problem with it.

The keyboard alone is reason to stay away...who the hell has fingers that tiny?

Oh come on. The keyboard isn't that tiny. It's almost the same size as the Treo's. The keyboard is more like the 650's though.

I finally got my hands on the i830 and even though I like it, I am not ready to let go of my Treo. I just can't get used to the slide-n-hide. Other than that I really liked the device.

If you've never used a slider before, it does take some getting used to. However, this is the first smartphone I've had where I feel that I can go without a case. It's that solidly built (even with the slider mechanism). All I need with it is a pouch to carry it with me since my pockets are always full.

Bluetooth voice dialing is nice as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss