Official Nokia Lumia 900 Blog Now Live

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nothing really new. But that 900 does look nice.

The vibe I got is that this is just the beginning. That there are still big plans ahead.

The disappointing thing to hear about is the storage issue. It didn't sound like there is any urgency to increase local storage. Seems like reliance will be placed on the cloud. That doesn't really make too much sense to me with the price of flash memory getting so cheap.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
...The disappointing thing to hear about is the storage issue. It didn't sound like there is any urgency to increase local storage. Seems like reliance will be placed on the cloud. That doesn't really make too much sense to me with the price of flash memory getting so cheap.
No kidding. I don't get why there's this trepidation about increasing flash storage on devices. The cloud storage angle doesn't cut it for me. Is this collusion to get people into bigger data plans or something? I'm not going to stream my 24GB music collection over 3G or LTE!

Bah! It looks like I'll have to get an iPod Classic eventually...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So AT&T is going to get the Titan II and the Lumia 900, what does T-mobile or Sprint going to get? For the love of God my carrier sucks I need to get out of it, but I can't afford AT&T and I'm not going to switching to T-mobile or Sprint with their crappy windows phones. I feel trapped.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Just throwing this out there....

I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in the actual innards of the Windows Phone OS that makes it somewhat unstable at higher storage sizes. And that stability can only be ensured at sizes under 16 GB. Maybe the way it accessed data or something.

And maybe it can't really be fixed until WP8 or Apollo. So until then, they just have to kind of deflect the question with talk about the cloud.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I liked it. It solved the issue I had with the Lumia 800, which was the smaller 3.7" screen. I think this one has all I want :)

Now, I'm going to be saving for a couple months so I can purchase it :lol:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm beginning to wonder if there is something in the actual innards of the Windows Phone OS that makes it somewhat unstable at higher storage sizes. And that stability can only be ensured at sizes under 16 GB. Maybe the way it accessed data or something.

And maybe it can't really be fixed until WP8 or Apollo. So until then, they just have to kind of deflect the question with talk about the cloud.

nah the Dell Venue pro had a 32 and a 64 gig version and so did the Fujitsu Windows phone,

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site

That could be, but I have a Samsung Focus with a 16 GB microSD card and it's pretty stable. I really see no explanation for not going higher... I hope they do as you say and up the limit pronto on the next version.

lhunter1130

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
Agreed 100%. This was a borderline waste of time. Guess we'll have to wait until MWC to hear about other Nokia phones and/or supporting carriers. Sheesh!
LOL what "other" carriers... VRZN said they wouldnt carry a non LTE phone.. there is only 1 of them and AT&T has it... SPRINT has sunk all its money into IPHONE... they CAN NOT CARRY IT IF THEY WANT TO BREAK EVEN ON THE IPHONE... soo that leaves the 1 crappy 710 on TMOBILE... there you go.. if you want a WP7 go to AT&T.. other wise theres nothing else this year.. kinda like last year.. Microsoft.. doesnt know how to play fair.. or get phones into more than 2/3 of american users.. that seems smart for a company trying to make as much money as they can...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nice phone. I was hoping for some type of surprise. A secret phone we didn't know about. Seems like a big stage for only a single phone release.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nice phone. I was hoping for some type of surprise. A secret phone we didn't know about. Seems like a big stage for only a single phone release.

Probably would seem like a much bigger deal to all of us if we weren't such tech geeks that we knew all this stuff ahead of time from "leaks."

the_fly68

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It was said from the beginning that AT&T was going to be the premiere carrier for WP7, so it's no surprise to me they're getting the bulk of the handset choices.

Verizon seems like all they care about is Android. At least that's all they ever advertise. I don't know what the problem is with Sprint and T-mo.

I understand all of the frustration for the lack of choices on other carriers. Seems you guys want to get behind and support the platform but the "powers that be" are playing games and alienating their fanbase instead of helping it grow. It's really sad.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
For the better part of the past year T-Mo was going to be bought by AT&T, so phone makers would have been sort of stupid to really focus on them. Unfortunate

Dr.Phil

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
The 900 looks nice, but it doesn't really wow me. I mean the Titan II, even though it repeats a lot of the first Titan, seemed better imo.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I am waiting to see what the samsung mendel looks and feels like before choosing between the three. On the meory issue I think the trend is towards NAND memory and eventually we will have much larger storage memory sizes with even multiple nand memory "chips" or "sticks" or globs. I also think its not a stability issue or a memory card issue as those are going away.

Right now I have an ulimioted data plan grandfathered on ATT (asubject to throttle after 5gb ) so no a biggie for me. Wouldnt mind having 32Gb or 64GB but dont really need it. Just being able to get it for me is a good thing. Some with large picture and music collections may truly need it I understand that. But I surmise thats not a majority of WP users but the percentage will grow in that direction and so the carriers if they remain in control should accept that and work towards getting the storage memory up. Its in their lobg term best interests as well.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Nothing really new. But that 900 does look nice.

The vibe I got is that this is just the beginning. That there are still big plans ahead.

The disappointing thing to hear about is the storage issue. It didn't sound like there is any urgency to increase local storage. Seems like reliance will be placed on the cloud. That doesn't really make too much sense to me with the price of flash memory getting so cheap.

Not to mention with the tiered data not everyone is going to want to waste their data on cloud storage.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
What we really need is a top end phone:

1TB of Storage, 16 GB of RAM

2 x Tegra 3 CPU running in parallel

4 inch 1920x1080 RGBG display under a crystal protective layer

Depleted Uranium unibody construction