Great sum-up video of MS at CES.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I feel like reading it as No-Kia is understandable, given there is another company (which is definitely more popular in the US) named Kia, but I don't think people realize that they are from different parts of the world, lol.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
We all know which company they are meaning however it's pronounced JD so no worries, it's just nice to hear it said the UK way for a change. (Nokkyah)

We have Kia cars here and Kia-Ora (orange juice) can' think of any more Kia's. :D

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard of Kia-Ora. Interesting name.

Perhaps to Americans, both Nokia and Kia are foreign, but to people in the UK, Nokia is (relatively) more local.

Nevertheless, I don't think I've ever heard anyone in Texas pronounce it Nokkya and since I don't want to sound snobby, I'll probably just pronounce it No-KEY-uh when sharing the wonderful news of Nokia WPs. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I'll read it as Nokkya in my mind or when I'm talking to other techies. :p

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
LOL that'll do fine JD, and in no way am I telling anyone how to pronounce names. :D
Was just really teasing. :)

(Promise i won't mention Aluminium and Aluminum) Oops! ;)

I love the differences really.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My god, that was awkward. What the **** was that clunky "interview" format about? Say what you like about Steve Jobs, but Ballmer is about as charismatic as a brick and he really should just do it straight-faced and dry or not at all. Still, at least that CNET video edited out the tech demo fails and the strange "tweet choir".

And at the end of the day am I the only one a bit disappointed? Hands up, who was expecting to see something cool and unrevealed so far from MS on Windows 8 or the future of Windows Phone, or Nokia on new models that we didn't already know were coming? Because as far as I can tell the ONLY company who's managed a bit of unexpected "wow" around WP is HTC with the genuinely impressive and hitherto unmentioned Titan II. Everything else was "here's something you've seen before, again".

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
My god, that was awkward. What the **** was that clunky "interview" format about? Say what you like about Steve Jobs, but Ballmer is about as charismatic as a brick and he really should just do it straight-faced and dry or not at all. Still, at least that CNET video edited out the tech demo fails and the strange "tweet choir".

And at the end of the day am I the only one a bit disappointed? Hands up, who was expecting to see something cool and unrevealed so far from MS on Windows 8 or the future of Windows Phone, or Nokia on new models that we didn't already know were coming? Because as far as I can tell the ONLY company who's managed a bit of unexpected "wow" around WP is HTC with the genuinely impressive and hitherto unmentioned Titan II. Everything else was "here's something you've seen before, again".

I wasn't. Microsoft said about a week before that this would be their last big presence at CES because their cycles don't run parallel to CES's schedule. I feel like that was a big hint that nothing big would be dropped at this CES. Also, the L900 is a big deal. It just was ruined for us because are heavily informed consumers.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The things you learn on WPCentral that's non phone releated are simply amazing Judge_Daniel. What a great educational place.

(Just cleaning the 'aluminium' back of my Titan now) :D

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My understanding...

Aluminum was discovered & named by an American. The Brits felt that the lack of the second "i" violated naming conventions, and added it in.

Helium
Lithium
etc.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Not quite. The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry recognise Aluminium as the correct name and aluminum as an acceptable variant used mainly in the US and rarely outside.

The name comes from alum and it was originally coined as "alumium" by British chemist Humphrey Davy in 1808 for the metal he was trying to isolate from the mineral alumina. He later changed this to aluminum for his 1812 book, but the same year the British Quarterly Review (a political and literary journal) proposed aluminium as it had a more classical sound. So no US involvement - both variants are British. And in the 19th century most US chemists also used aluminium. The variant spelling became popular in the US because of the dominant producer's use of that spelling on his publicity materials (though not on his patents, interestingly). It seems that the variant spelling might even have been used originally by him purely by mistake, as a typo on some documents.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Regardless, for some reason aluminium just seems sooo much longer than aluminum (lazy American, I guess :p). I'll definitely be sticking with aluminum. (Although, I like the sound of alumium, too.)

Back to topic: Has anyone showed this to their non-techie friends?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Nope, because if they're not interested in phones, they're not going to be interested in the head guy from Microsoft talking about phones ;)

Seriously though, I don't get the whole keynote thing *unless* you're showing off something new, and never really have. So I can see why MS wouldn't want to do it again if they never have anything to show off at this time of year - all you end up doing is talking about stuff that people already know about, and regardless of how true it is it can give the impression that you're not talking about anything new because you're not doing anything new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes