Nokia Shaping Windows Phone OS

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
To tell you all the truth, Nokia is really shaping Windows Phone OS. They are always adding new enhancements and apps to the Phone which really make the OS more lovely to use. They have really made the other OEMs WACK and lets take my HTC phone for example, the HTC apps never change and they really don't have any enhancements to the OS....all goes to HTC Android Phones with sense 4.0 and no new apps at the HTC section at the Marketplace. Nokia just introduced the transport and reading hub which I like very much and I think it's time the other OEMs start doing something on enhancements on the OS to attract more customers or else most of us will switch to Nokia when Apollo arrives.

Can't even imagine I have to wait for 3 solid months for the CNN and ESPN apps.....whilst Lumia Holders are enjoying....hmmmmm!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Why are you mad? Nokia is doing what's promised bringing new stuff to Microsoft. That's good.

What's not good however is us being left without that Pure phone that looks so cool.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Why are you mad? Nokia is doing what's promised bringing new stuff to Microsoft. That's good.

The problem is it creates fragmentation, some WP devices support DLNA, some do not, some support HDMI output, some do not, some will have NFC, some will not, there's OEM-specific apps and then with WP8 there will be different screen sizes, resolutions.

The thing i initially loved about WP was that it was pitched as standard across the device range, so basically the differentiation was in the device design, but now you have to hope that someone pulls a Galaxy Nexus and just does the best of everything, so far that hasn't happened :(

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The problem is it creates fragmentation, some WP devices support DLNA, some do not, some support HDMI output, some do not, some will have NFC, some will not, there's OEM-specific apps and then with WP8 there will be different screen sizes, resolutions.

but that doesn't effect the OS as a Whole , look at android the OS with the biggest fragmentation OS.

they have phone with duel-core , single core , different resolution , HDMI out-put and not ... and they still have the same Update* gingerbread *

if they start playing with the CORE programing of the system that's gona cause problems ,

like change the UI that could prevent further upgrade in the future. that would cause problems of us not being able to upgrade from wp7.5 to wp8. witch doesn't seem to be the case.

you can support different specs with out fragmentation. apple did it , BB does it Wp will also hopefully do it.

perfect example is apple:

Iphone 4 to Iphone 4S

specs on the 4S has duel-core better camera and built in SIRI , iphone 4 has NONE of that but can stil update. it just doesn't have siri built in.

Last edited:

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
To tell you all the truth, Nokia is really shaping Windows Phone OS. They are always adding new enhancements and apps to the Phone which really make the OS more lovely to use. They have really made the other OEMs WACK and lets take my HTC phone for example, the HTC apps never change and they really don't have any enhancements to the OS....all goes to HTC Android Phones with sense 4.0 and no new apps at the HTC section at the Marketplace. Nokia just introduced the transport and reading hub which I like very much and I think it's time the other OEMs start doing something on enhancements on the OS to attract more customers or else most of us will switch to Nokia when Apollo arrives.

Can't even imagine I have to wait for 3 solid months for the CNN and ESPN apps.....whilst Lumia Holders are enjoying....hmmmmm!
then get lumia phone Nokia clearly want windows phone to be the third successful os :happy:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
What I loved about WP7 was the OS but didn't liked any of the phones.

I still love the OS and I still don't like the phones. Boy do I get cranky when not new phones are announced, so much Android offerings so little WP7.

Also I understand the new for low end devices but you can't just made a low end device and call it a day. (I'm looking at you LG)

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
they have phone with duel-core , single core , different resolution , HDMI out-put and not ... and they still have the same Update* gingerbread *

Even if you have the current OS update you still likely don't have the same features as other phones with same OS update because your hardware is different so cannot run the same apps. With WP it's an artificial limitation that will stop you from running some apps as well as the potential for different hardware capabilities.

you can support different specs with out fragmentation.

If they have different specs then that indeed does fragment the platform, you get a different experience on each WP device, it becomes inconsistent:
'Hey you've got a new WP device, just stream your photos to the TV.'
'Oh i can't, that's only available on XX and XX brand current gen phones. I would have got one of them but they don't have XX OEM application which you can only get on this brand of device.'
So it's not a matter of just having a current generation WP device, it's a matter of which specific model from which manufacturer as well. That just creates massive confusion for average consumers about what WP is capable of, they then need to know what is OS-specific, what is manufacturer-specific and then what is model-specific.

perfect example is apple:

Iphone 4 to Iphone 4S

specs on the 4S has duel-core better camera and built in SIRI , iphone 4 has NONE of that but can stil update. it just doesn't have siri built in.

The difference is that is the old model Vs the current model, with WP you have a whole bunch of current model devices with different features. If you have a current gen iphone you have all the capabilities of any other current gen iphone.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I think when it comes time to upgrade my HTC HD7, i'll be going Nokia.

Nobody else is giving WP7 anything other than the occasional cast off phone, HTC release a new Android phone every couple of weeks, yet theres been 1 maybe 2 WP7 devices in the last year.

Im glad Nokia is releasing devices fairly reguarly, and gaining most of the WP7 sales, maybe it'll prompt people like HTC to deliver more interesting phones.

What i find interesting, is companies like HTC and Samsung are selling Android devices by the lorry load, yet they don't seem to be making huge profits, in the way Apple is.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
For Nokia wp7 is important.. For samsung and HTC wp7 is not important at all they have android. And for them android is important...

and the difference between Nokia and the other once Will continue to grow since they pretty much Said we don't care before wp8 (no info at all about wp7 fr.o.m. HTC for example)

So ? tips fr.o.m. Me to you all go with Nokia when you buy your first wp7 or when upgrading..

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

Obamam-lol-y-u-mad-thojpg.jpg

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
What i find interesting, is companies like HTC and Samsung are selling Android devices by the lorry load, yet they don't seem to be making huge profits, in the way Apple is.

As well as greater competition (the Android market is split between a whole host of manufacturers), it's lack of focus. Look at the absurd number of products Samsung make just in the Galaxy line alone:

Galaxy tab 7, 8, 10, galaxy tab 7, 8 10 note, Galaxy note, galaxy tab 7 2, Galaxy tab 10 2, Galaxy ace, Galaxy ace +, Galaxy s2, Galaxy S advance etc, etc, etc. It's impossible to get anywhere near Apple's purchasing power discounts or economies of scale when you're selling lots in total but loads and loads of small batches of different things.

HTC have realised this, hence their recent consolidation tactic of fewer phones but better design.

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
As well as greater competition (the Android market is split between a whole host of manufacturers), it's lack of focus. Look at the absurd number of products Samsung make just in the Galaxy line alone:

Galaxy tab 7, 8, 10, galaxy tab 7, 8 10 note, Galaxy note, galaxy tab 7 2, Galaxy tab 10 2, Galaxy ace, Galaxy ace +, Galaxy s2, Galaxy S advance etc, etc, etc. It's impossible to get anywhere near Apple's purchasing power discounts or economies of scale when you're selling lots in total but loads and loads of small batches of different things.

HTC have realised this, hence their recent consolidation tactic of fewer phones but better design.

You forgot all the galaxy mini, nexus and so on... Btw Apples iPhone costs almost 600? in Sweden and galaxy s2 that is similar to it costs a little bit over 400?... Lumia 800 costs around 400?, But the lumia comes with ? swedish design and a case that you have to buy for the other phones for around 20?..

Ps you should have thumbs up icon not thumb Downs... Nokia is what drives wp forward and makes it intressting for people

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Even if you have the current OS update you still likely don't have the same features as other phones with same OS update because your hardware is different so cannot run the same apps. With WP it's an artificial limitation that will stop you from running some apps as well as the potential for different hardware capabilities.

If they have different specs then that indeed does fragment the platform, you get a different experience on each WP device, it becomes inconsistent:
'Hey you've got a new WP device, just stream your photos to the TV.'
'Oh i can't, that's only available on XX and XX brand current gen phones. I would have got one of them but they don't have XX OEM application which you can only get on this brand of device.'
So it's not a matter of just having a current generation WP device, it's a matter of which specific model from which manufacturer as well. That just creates massive confusion for average consumers about what WP is capable of, they then need to know what is OS-specific, what is manufacturer-specific and then what is model-specific.

The difference is that is the old model Vs the current model, with WP you have a whole bunch of current model devices with different features. If you have a current gen iphone you have all the capabilities of any other current gen iphone.

1.That?s what TANGO update is for , to BRIDGE/add support for the different specs!!! But having different apps isn?t what fragmentation is all about . Cell phone fragmentation is when your phone cant get the following update.

2. That?s not what fragmentation is all about! If HTC decides to ad HDMI support , Samsung can say NO to it. Nothing to do with the OS! Fragmentation has NOTHING to do with hardware. Its all about the software and how CORE programming on the phone would influence the following OS update depending on the support. Sure apps might not run as smooth on 250Ram phones compare to 500RAM phones , but they still can!!!! (tango support)

you can have 500 different feature on one phone cause of contry/RTM/OEM related , ( liek Samsung apps , HTC apps , NOKIA apps)
but the ONLY people that can cause Fragmentation to the WP OS right now is NOKIA ( the ONLY company with access to core programing) but they CLEARLY said in a interview that they WOULD NOT manipulate the core programing in such a way to cause fragmentation.

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The thing cellphone buyers don't like about Apple is it's one size fits all, you'll take what we give you and like it mentality. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a choice of price, size and function. Choice is good! Choices and customization options are 2 things Android does well, and Apple doesn't.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The thing cellphone buyers don't like about Apple is it's one size fits all, you'll take what we give you and like it mentality. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a choice of price, size and function. Choice is good! Choices and customization options are 2 things Android does well, and Apple doesn't.

and I like to think that MS's WP fond a comfortable middle between the 2 :)

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
But having different apps isn’t what fragmentation is all about . Cell phone fragmentation is when your phone cant get the following update.

No, it isn't. No-one cares about the OS, they care about what they can do with the OS, and even if you have capable hardware and the same version of the OS the Windows Phone ecosystem is fragmented because not everyone can run the same apps.

2. That’s not what fragmentation is all about! If HTC decides to ad HDMI support , Samsung can say NO to it. Nothing to do with the OS! Fragmentation has NOTHING to do with hardware.

Of course it does, the Windows Phone experience is fragmented. You don't get a consistent experience because every manufacturer can put out device-specific apps and device-specific features.
Not only that, but you said:
Cell phone fragmentation is when your phone cant get the following update
And that is directly related to the hardware.

Its all about the software and how CORE programming on the phone would influence the following OS update depending on the support. Sure apps might not run as smooth on 250Ram phones compare to 500RAM phones , but they still can!!!! (tango support)

It's only all about that if that's all you want to consider, but end-users generally don't have such a narrow view. Hey look at all the great Windows Phone apps...oh but many of them aren't really Windows Phone apps, it's not about having a Windows Phone, it's about having a specific brand and model of Windows Phone because the capabilities are fragmented, they aren't the same across a single generation.
People don't just go out and buy any Android phone because they know the experience differs so greatly from phone to phone, which is what is looking like happening with Windows Phone, it loses the brand because consumers can't buy just based on that.

you can have 500 different feature on one phone cause of contry/RTM/OEM related , ( liek Samsung apps , HTC apps , NOKIA apps)
but the ONLY people that can cause Fragmentation to the WP OS right now is NOKIA ( the ONLY company with access to core programing) but they CLEARLY said in a interview that they WOULD NOT manipulate the core programing in such a way to cause fragmentation.

You're looking at a very narrow view of fragmentation, specifically core-OS fragmentation, but the consumer doesn't care about that, Windows Phone should be the brand, it most certainly is the brand that the advertising is pushing - so when your Windows Phone can't run the same Windows Phone apps as my Windows Phone that creates fragmentation in the brand and by extension the ecosystem.

No-one cares about having an Android phone, they care about having a specific brand/model of Android phone and if WP continues down this path then the same will be said for it, in which case they are marketing it wrong. In that case they should be marketing devices, not the OS, in the same way as Android marketing is device-centric not OS-centric, the simple reason is that one Android device is different from another Android device in core capability (hardware), WP is worse in that even software on the same OS version on equally capable hardware might not run.

The core OS might not be fragmented, but the Android ICS core OS isn't fragmented either, it's the ecosystem and brand that is, and to the end user that's what matters.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre