Banning for violent, abusive posting?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
We moderate comments quite regularly on the front page but a couple of things:

• We do have regular "trolls" who get banned, create new screen-names and comeback
  • We implemented a new IP tracking and banning system, starting late last week, for front page comments
  • A lot of you don't help by replying back to these low-lifes. Seriously, you aren't helping when you respond back. Just ignore them and email us.
  • We barely get any reports or complaints about comments, so once again, if you see something, say something
  • "I'm not going to name any names, but you all know who I'm talking about" No, we don't. Name names or stop complaining. The only thing weaker than troll commentors is a community of users who refuse to bring attention to those in charge.
While we want this to be a friendly community and have a vibrant discussion, the larger we get, the more troublemakers we're going to receive. That's just the internet.

We'll try to do what we can but we also need your help to not instigate trolls and to report things when you see them. As we upgrade the CMS system in the next few weeks, users should have better tools for reporting comments directly and even hopefully downvoting.

Finally, for all the attention this may get we honestly don't have many complaints. Maybe...maybe I get one email a week on this topic, so let's keep this in perspective.

There used to be downvoting allowed on the front page, what happened to it?

fisci

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
seems infractions are commonly given out to anything that isn't vapid fanboyism...

Yo should see some of the infractions I've gotten while other people telling me that want me to die have nothing sad to them.

I think as long as you give only praise to wp7 pretty much anything goes

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
seems infractions are commonly given out to anything that isn't vapid fanboyism...

Yo should see some of the infractions I've gotten while other people telling me that want me to die have nothing sad to them.

Long time no see man where you been?

Its funny to me how the people who get in trouble for braking the rules are always the ones who are complaining the most about them and how they are enforces. If those members want to hide behind the word fanboyism thats fine. In my opinion those members need to get some perspective. IMHO

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow.

I do hope the moderators here know must of us post just out of enjoyment of mobile. I will be dead honest: I read about 15 sites off and on for mobile and only post on two. I will not be a part of a community that has the type of posters who attack others because:

1) They somehow have their self-worth wrapped up with an OS (I don't get that at all, and I loves me some WP).

2)This is where they come to vent their anger at the world.

The other site I post at is becoming a tad upsetting to me, and I may just move on. But I would be sorely bummed if I lost WP Central. This is a small community, but it is a good one. I am not at all worried about trolling over mobile. I could care less if Android/iOS/RIM fans troll here. That is a good sign for the growth of WP. Besides, a good troll is fun.

The other two types I listed would make me leave.

For now, I appreciate our moderators and our community.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
So I'm curious why certain posters here with violent, abusive predilections are allowed to continue to post? I'm not going to name any names, but you all know who I'm talking about, which should tell you everything you need to know. Can someone clarify the policy? Because anyone who threatens physical harm, up to and including death threats (which I have received from this poster), should not be a welcome member of a community. They should be a persona non grata.

Why not just leave it alone and let it fix itself. :straight: I'm more of a "anything goes" type cause none of this really matters anyway. I used to frequent chatrooms & forums but then the whole culture of it changed and you had people trying to censor/police the thing. That got old and boring real fast! One forum got shut down altogether cause people kept arguing and crying for moderators. After that I left all of it behind, now I only come in when I need some info or just to see what's going on.

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site

That's absolutely 100% false.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I did report a post just today. And I don't want to make this personal, but I received a ban for a far inferior violation of the rules. The only difference being that I am not a blind ****** (like that certain person) and actually dare to be critical of WP. Which in this community sometimes seems to be the biggest crime of all...

Not being a "blind ******" doesn't mean you have the right to be destructive with your words or promote hate around here.

I have been off and on WP7 devices for the past year + and most people see the pro's and cons. Most people around here help each other out with issues or concerns with the OS / certain devices.

Making it a point to point out the flaws as much as you can wherever you can is not healthy for this community.

I am not accusing you or anybody specifically of doing this but those people know who they are.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't blame you if you are labelled as hiding behind 'fanboyism'. As long as you praise the OS without a single criticism, you are good to go. I only experienced this in iOS forums and a bit in Android ones. Best example, go to Android or iPhone/iPad tab on top of this very page where you are reading this post from. Just scan through only first 5-10 threads and you don't want to be a part of that. Anyone who criticized anything was humiliated - troll or not.

I am not someone who wants to tolerate members only visiting forums to talk things they don't like about their phone in each and every thread they can. They are trolls. But I've seen discussions silenced when they did not majorly fall in WP favours and there was not a single troll involved in that discussion but someone who just couldn't control their temperament for some reason. I really hope this forum does get some sort of financial gains from MSFT in future, we deserve it. It is nice to see how we pay attention to all the WP supporters and treat everyone equally here.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. I wouldn't blame you if you are labelled as hiding behind 'fanboyism'. As long as you praise the OS without a single criticism, you are good to go. I only experienced this in iOS forums and a bit in Android ones. Best example, go to Android or iPhone/iPad tab on top of this very page where you are reading this post from. Just scan through only first 5-10 threads and you don't want to be a part of that. Anyone who criticized anything was humiliated - troll or not.

djdtox statements are 100% false

I am not someone who wants to tolerate members only visiting forums to talk things they don't like about their phone in each and every thread they can. They are trolls. But I've seen discussions silenced when they did not majorly fall in WP favours and there was not a single troll involved in that discussion but someone who just couldn't control their temperament for some reason. I really hope this forum does get some sort of financial gains from MSFT in future, we deserve it. It is nice to see how we pay attention to all the WP supporters and treat everyone equally here.

If you think we close threads because they don't talk favorably about WP, your conclusion is full of spuriousness. You don't see what happens behind the scenes and the complaints we get.

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

If you think we close threads because they don't talk favorably about WP, your conclusion is full of spuriousness. You don't see what happens behind the scenes and the complaints we get.

And you know what exact thread I am referring to, for which I still don't see a reason for closure. Those weren't even arguments! However, I am not going to indulge into that and hijack this thread from the OP.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

With all due respect - it's a sentiment that has been expressed by multiple members, so it would be nice if you would at least acknowledge it and take it seriously and maybe look into why we feel this way. We don't just make this stuff up, you know?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Look you can't tell us why we do what we do you simply don't have all the information. Its not logical. Lets put this in to perspective. We have 60,000 plus members here and only a select few are complaining. Most of those have had conflicts with the rules at some point.

With all dew respect it is my humble opinion that you don't know what you are talking about and you are approaching this with an agenda. Because of you past dealings with the mod team.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
With all due respect - it's a sentiment that has been expressed by multiple members, so it would be nice if you would at least acknowledge it and take it seriously and maybe look into why we feel this way. We don't just make this stuff up, you know?

Dude, I am not a touchy-feely type of guy. I am a Union Electrician and i work new construction. If I walked around a job site complaining that the general contractor hurt my feelings, I'd get kicked off the job site.

For you to imply that I didn't take the OP serious is outrageous. Talk to tekhna and ask him if I immediately contacted him within minutes when all this started. Ask dave blake if I immediately brought this to the attention of the admin staff. I don't speak until I have the facts, that's called speaking responsibly..

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Look you can't tell us why we do what we do you simply don't have all the information. Its not logical. Lets put this in to perspective. We have 60,000 plus members here and only a select few are complaining. Most of those have had conflicts with the rules at some point.

With all dew respect it is my humble opinion that you don't know what you are talking about and you are approaching this with an agenda. Because of you past dealings with the mod team.

I seriously don't. I love this site, the issues I had have been dealt with and it's all water under the bridge now. To be honest it actually made me respect you guys more, because you didn't just ignore the issues I had, but you dealt with them and took the time to talk to me. So please believe me that I do not have any agenda. Well, actually I do have one - I want this place to be the best it can be. It has become one of my favorite spots on the internets and I love to come here and talk about the things we all love.

I think we should leave the past behind, there is little use now to argue over things we can't change anymore. Let's all try to look to the future and together we can all contribute to make this the best forum on the web.

I think the one important thing to take away from this is that even we, as regular members, can help out the mod team by reporting violations that we see, so that they can be dealt with in a timely manner. And if I could give one advice to the mod team - thread splitting. It's one of the forum management basics and this forum would greatly benefit from it. Do it more often and you will avoid many of the issues that have come up.

I am happy that we could have this healthy discussion and bring to attention the things some of us worry about so that we can all do a better job now at managing them and making sure we don't repeat our past mistakes.

I think even 12Danny123 will agree with that. And once we get 12Danny123 to agree with us, half the battle is won. J/K :)

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
not sure if i should say anything, but the bulk of the issue i see is the fact that ppl who say they are critical are doing it impolitely, at least for myself when i have an issue with wp and when i post it, i try to be as reasonable as i can (and at least i haven't been banned or post removed before)

this
wp sucks because it doesn't have X

is not the same as saying
too bad wp doesn't have X, may be they will be added later?

and what makes people angry is the first one, as wp is still a very good os, saying it sucks because something u want that's missing is why other people get defensive about it all... seriously u may be missing something but other people might not care for it, and if u go on to dismiss the entire platform that other people hold dear what do you think was going to happen? (its like saying x country is crap because they are small to that country's citizens, i mean really? hey i've had ppl say that to me, really ppl...? no civilized person would do that)

on a side note, i've made mistakes replying to comments and be corrected, that's perfectly fine, and i apologize for the mistakes, this is the other side of the story, make a mistake just admit it and move on, it happens... but the people correcting (not here so far though) also should really be nice about it instead of going all hulk like about it (or even sarcastic attacks)

i think it's really just all in how we speak our mind and opinion (and manners), a year ago when i joined up people had manners and can agree to disagree with opinions fine, now it seems if u don't agree with an opinion then you are either a ****** or a troll, why is that?

(didn't edit, probably some mistakes and ambiguous comments)

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
not sure if i should say anything, but the bulk of the issue i see is the fact that ppl who say they are critical are doing it impolitely, at least for myself when i have an issue with wp and when i post it, i try to be as reasonable as i can (and at least i haven't been banned or post removed before)

this
wp sucks because it doesn't have X

is not the same as saying
too bad wp doesn't have X, may be they will be added later?

and what makes people angry is the first one, as wp is still a very good os, saying it sucks because something u want that's missing is why other people get defensive about it all... seriously u may be missing something but other people might not care for it, and if u go on to dismiss the entire platform that other people hold dear what do you think was going to happen? (its like saying x country is crap because they are small to that country's citizens, i mean really? hey i've had ppl say that to me, really ppl...? no civilized person would do that)

on a side note, i've made mistakes replying to comments and be corrected, that's perfectly fine, and i apologize for the mistakes, this is the other side of the story, make a mistake just admit it and move on, it happens... but the people correcting (not here so far though) also should really be nice about it instead of going all hulk like about it (or even sarcastic attacks)

i think it's really just all in how we speak our mind and opinion (and manners), a year ago when i joined up people had manners and can agree to disagree with opinions fine, now it seems if u don't agree with an opinion then you are either a ****** or a troll, why is that?

(didn't edit, probably some mistakes and ambiguous comments)

Well said. Seems like there are two increasingly vocal groups on this forum: first group thinks other platforms are better and insist on pointing it out, second group thinks any criticism of WP is invalid therefore you are an android ******. If we could discuss these things in a respectful tone maybe some of this would go away.

Mods, glad I don't have your jobs, thanks for the work y'all do on this site!

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I seriously don't. I love this site, the issues I had have been dealt with and it's all water under the bridge now. To be honest it actually made me respect you guys more, because you didn't just ignore the issues I had, but you dealt with them and took the time to talk to me. So please believe me that I do not have any agenda. Well, actually I do have one - I want this place to be the best it can be. It has become one of my favorite spots on the internets and I love to come here and talk about the things we all love.

I think we should leave the past behind, there is little use now to argue over things we can't change anymore. Let's all try to look to the future and together we can all contribute to make this the best forum on the web.

I think the one important thing to take away from this is that even we, as regular members, can help out the mod team by reporting violations that we see, so that they can be dealt with in a timely manner. And if I could give one advice to the mod team - thread splitting. It's one of the forum management basics and this forum would greatly benefit from it. Do it more often and you will avoid many of the issues that have come up.

I am happy that we could have this healthy discussion and bring to attention the things some of us worry about so that we can all do a better job now at managing them and making sure we don't repeat our past mistakes.

I think even 12Danny123 will agree with that. And once we get 12Danny123 to agree with us, half the battle is won. J/K :)
man i'm fine. :) I am fine. Though i do need convincing in off topic stuff. But i agree with u. :D. But the prob is that i don't tollerate. Trolling here. And some of these people are guilty of it. That really drives me up. Alot of pity

Last edited:

suvastallions

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The good thing about WP is that if you're a user or recently purchased a WP handset, you are in comparatively small but elite group. The world has become a boring place with everyone using the same colour, same OS, same, same, same! WP is different and if fanboys come to WP Central forums to hurl insults and innuedos, it's all envy.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720