GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or do we need spoiler tags on news articles and forum posts about the Nokia event, lol... all these leaks and there's gonna be nothing new left to announce on Wednesday! :lol:

But seriously, all these leaks are making me even more excited to be a part of this event. Nokia in the past has shown they know how to throw a party, and based on the leaks I'm really excited about the possibilities they're bringing to the table.

IF all of the leaks come to pass, and IF Nokia will actually bring ALL of the options to as many carriers as they can, they're going to really kick rump-roast this holiday season. People will not be able to ignore the innovation that their color palette, NFC capabilities, wireless charging, and Pureview cameras bring to the table.

Ironically... history really does repeat itself, because I remember the last time Nokia was super popular in the states they had their candy bar phones in every color under the radar (or so it felt). How funny that their Lumias look like Hershey bars and come in lots of colors. :D

I know that none of the features rumored are "original" concepts (aside from Pureview), but this is, I feel, the first time that a single OEM has put them all together in what looks to be a very effective campaign.

RobbyRob

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Only thing that bothers me is I have not seen a cyan colored phone yet. It is my favorite one and I will riot with my imaginary friends if I can't get it in cyan...

iloveamystery

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm excited for it, but the event itself probably won't be as impactful as it would had I not been reading all of the leaks. :blush:

And I would like a cyan color too. There should be some consistent colors.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I hope they do bring the thunder with cameras. Turning PureView into just another marketing term is a very, very bad move.

Is it just me, or does the purported 820 have a Xenon flash on the back? In addition to that, its camera module looks far more serious than the 920's; is it possible that the 820 is the logical continuation of the 808 and packs the 21MP camera, while the 920 is the next-gen 800/900?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Seems odd that their flagship wouldn't get the better camera, but it's all conjecture right now anyway... with all the leaks the camera has conflicting reports on its specs.

But you're right, turning PureView into a marketing term is a very bad idea and does nothing to distinguish Nokia from other handset makers. They NEED this feature.

I mean let's suppose for a moment that Apple announces the iPhone 5 with a design update and some moderately interesting feature improvements (mostly to Siri and AirPlay or whatever it's called), Google/Motorola are also announcing a new Droid phone (not really a big deal), and Amazon is announcing new Kindle Fire models (and rumors of a phone have been circulating)... that steals a lot of wind from Nokia's sails unless they have some heft behind their punch.

Now imagine Nokia comes out with all the announced specs + microSD expansion + 21MP camera. Holy freaking crap! 21MP?! Wireless Charging?! Lots of color choices?! WP8 has really slick speech engine? Wow, that's super cool! Now people are talking about it... do they get some moderate iPhone improvements because it's trendy, join the Android of the Day club, or do they get something flashy and get a great camera to boot that will make them unique and stand out in a crowd?

The camera is part of their recipe... leaving out a high-end MP camera would be like using Ragu sauce instead of homemade sauce.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I have a question ...
one one side all these leaks and hints make me curious. But on the other side, it feels like I know everything already, making me fear tomorrows presentation might be an anticlimax. Am I the only one feeling this way?

And ...

... has Nokia maybe still a surprise up their sleeves? What do you think?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, you're kinda right... I mean we have lots of information, but it's all unofficial and incomplete. We don't know what carriers are getting which options? We know the event is partnered with AT&T, so we can assume that AT&T is the premiere partner, but we have to hope that T-Mobile and Verizon will be getting some love too... and hopefully sooner rather than later.

We don't know the exact camera specs, and rumors are conflicting, so that keeps us guessing. Likewise for any NFC capabilities and whether wireless charging is included or additional.

Also, I think it's fair to say that Microsoft will be there to help show off some Windows Phone 8 improvements... even if limited for now. I hope we can also expect the Developer API to finally be released.

I'm still excited, because A) I get to freaking be there!!, and B) I'm hoping Nokia, Microsoft, and AT&T will honestly put forth a 100% all-in marketing effort into this. They need it, and as platform adopters, WE need it.

If I get a Lumia and a Surface at launch, I will be shoving them in EVERYONE'S face this year... the same way those fruit-loving ****ers do with their iCraps. I want people to know there's alternatives... and FUN alternatives at that! :)

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
@GoodThings2Live
You're going to the event? How cool is that. :cool: Unfortunately, I'm living on the wrong continent :mad:

It's true what you say. One never knows what those Finns have up their sleeves. Oh my, if I was the fingernail biting type, no fingernails would be left.

I understand what you mean about carrier differences, but the situation is slightly different where I live (Switzerland). My Lumia 800 from my carrier is exatly the same as the Lumia 800s from the other carriers: Same hardware, same bandwiths, the only difference is the extra apps from each carriers.

Offtopic:
I must admit that I find the U.S. smartphone market quite confusing: Device X from ATT is not the same as Device X from Verizon? Even the names can be different? Bandwith is not the same? A nightmare, in my imagination. Not that I'm not living with a different kind of nightmare: Driving several hours makes me cross a country border whether I want it or not, and one must be very careful with data usage in foreign countries otherwise it can get very costly.
I find it difficult to understand why the U.S. haven't managed to implement a bandwith standard ... I mean, they don't have to handle hundreds of small countries with their governments ... one should imagine that such a thing would be easier to do in one big country than in severel small ones? Very weird.

Ontopic:
I want a surface as well. But knowing the situation in my country (Small country, small market), we'll maybe get them when Windows 9 is out :mad:. I'll check the W8 RT tablets from the OEMs, though. Maybe one of them will spit out something nice.

Have fun tomorrow !!!

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
The camera may be excellent, even at a lower MP count... http://www.windowscentral.com/nokia-photo-sensor-patent-looks-take-hump-out-pureview-cameras

Oh, and maybe 7.8 will be sooner than later? http://mynokiablog.com/2012/09/03/wp7-8-update-for-current-lumias-shortly/

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

That would be pretty smart from a business standpoint. Get people excited about wp8, release 7.8 to give them a taste/something new, bridges the gap until the new phones go on sale and hopefully gets a lot of conversion.

Plus it keeps the whole thing moving forward giving it more momentum. Makes sense.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Offtopic:
I must admit that I find the U.S. smartphone market quite confusing: Device X from ATT is not the same as Device X from Verizon? Even the names can be different? Bandwith is not the same? A nightmare, in my imagination. Not that I'm not living with a different kind of nightmare: Driving several hours makes me cross a country border whether I want it or not, and one must be very careful with data usage in foreign countries otherwise it can get very costly.
I find it difficult to understand why the U.S. haven't managed to implement a bandwith standard ... I mean, they don't have to handle hundreds of small countries with their governments ... one should imagine that such a thing would be easier to do in one big country than in severel small ones? Very weird.

Have fun tomorrow !!!

Thanks! I hope so! Kinda nerdy, but my big hope is to meet up with Mary Jo Foley from ZDNet. When I first got into computers, I started reading her and Ed Bott in some magazines, and I've followed them ever since.

Anyway, you're right about it being confusing. Even the two GSM networks (AT&T and T-Mobile) and CDMA networks (Verizon and Sprint) are incompatible with each other. I'm not a huge supporter of government regulation to force it, but I have always felt that the networks should be more unified and standardized, so that leaves it to the carriers to someday see the light.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
That's what I was thinking when all these leaks flooded my news, but really I'm only looking forward to details regarding current gen Lumias, which seem to be part of the equation (hopefully not a 10 second mention), and also what defines PureView according to Nokia. Everything else just looks the same, and is left to what Microsoft deems fit in WP8. That doesn't excite me since 7.x users won't be able to get it anyways.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was thinking when all these leaks flooded my news, but really I'm only looking forward to details regarding current gen Lumias, which seem to be part of the equation (hopefully not a 10 second mention), and also what defines PureView according to Nokia. Everything else just looks the same, and is left to what Microsoft deems fit in WP8. That doesn't excite me since 7.x users won't be able to get it anyways.

Actually, with Microsoft set to do a full WP8 reveal, it's gonna be a bigger deal than we may have expected. Elop makes it sound like they have a lot of unrevealed feature news that "even Apple isn't doing."

Windows Phone... it's not just for hobbyists and jokes anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett