I think Nokia rocked it

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia did a great job on their new lineup. The 920 has the biggest complaints about the 900 fixed.

Scratches around the camera area - Fixed with a new material
16GB storage - Doubled to 32GB
Too easy to hit the Bing button - More space at the bottom
Camera BLOWS - Total rework of the camera and added cutting edge tech

Things we didn't complain a lot about but they did anyway

Upped the screen size and made it even better for outdoor viewing
Curved the screen like the 800
Made the screen work with gloves and finger nails
Wireless charging
Larger 2000mAh battery
WP8

Things that were added because of WP8

1GB RAM
Dual core processor
NFC
Enhanced power savings

If you look at the changes between the iPhone 4 and 4s that took a year to think of and develope, the 900 to 920 is awesome

Dual core
Siri
OS upgrade
HSDPA+

Apple does minor upgrades every year. I hope Nokia can get to a nice yearly cycle now that they are set in their direction and we will continue to see great things. It's obvious they listened and read the forums and news sites. Maybe this year we should complain even more about time between announcement and launch since that is still horrible. Lets not focus on the fact that the camera is 8.7 mp, I really think from the shots so far we will love this thing when it finally launches.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
All that plus a few cool new colors, accessories, and apps.

I will have mine first day. :) Hopefully I can get it a day or 2 early like I did with the 900.

bensun6

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
it failed to please stockholders that's for sure

an the other hand, i believe Nokia is on track to steal android market share, we just have to wait out 1 more disappointing (the worst) quarter, until iphone5 hype calms down

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I work for a public company and I hate the fact that we are a public company. The shareholders will probably only be satisfied if Nokia puts android on a device. Once WP finally takes off the shareholders will be fine again of course Nokia will also be pulling in major profits :) I just hope the executive team doesn't panic because of the stock price fall but at this point they may be used to it.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd say Nokia is proving itself to be quite the force in hardware development.

It's interesting, but at this point I would say that MS is holding Nokia back in a big way right now. Nokia had to really pull back on it's customizing and specs in the wp7 lumias, and it seems that Nokia is ready to go with the hardware on the wp8 lumias, but the software is holding up the show.

Imagine the excitement if Nokia would have announced pricing and release dates, especially if the release dates were in two weeks. Now, they have to sit tight while Apple announces the next iphone and releases it. You're really asking alot of 10 million + consumers to wait around for two months...

Maybe it will all work out in the end, but if Nokia had partnered with Google, they'd be killing it in sales...

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I think it was a great event.

I'd say Nokia is proving itself to be quite the force in hardware development.

It's interesting, but at this point I would say that MS is holding Nokia back in a big way right now. Nokia had to really pull back on it's customizing and specs in the wp7 lumias, and it seems that Nokia is ready to go with the hardware on the wp8 lumias, but the software is holding up the show.

Imagine the excitement if Nokia would have announced pricing and release dates, especially if the release dates were in two weeks. Now, they have to sit tight while Apple announces the next iphone and releases it. You're really asking alot of 10 million + consumers to wait around for two months...

Maybe it will all work out in the end, but if Nokia had partnered with Google, they'd be killing it in sales...

If they partnered with google they would be one of a million re-hashed android phones.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally I don't think they "rocked it" but they did alright, and no where near as bad as some are making it out to be. I think a lot of the bitter guys here bought a lot of Nokia shares expecting to hit the jackpot and when it didn't happen they got a little upset.

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Let me rephrase it a bit... Nokia rocked it within the technical specs allowed by Microsoft. :) By choosing WP they have a lot of constraints that they would not have if they chose Android and I think what they have done to make those specs the best they could they rocked it. Adding wireless charging, OSI, and an awesome screen is almost all they can do to set their design apart technically from the others. The guts of all WP8 phones will be very similar due to the restrictions in place by Microsoft for a nice consistant experience.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
more or less all the news articles this morning have not been as positive as I would have hoped. But honestly nokia dropped the ball on a couple of issues (price, availability) and the fiasco with the video that wasn't recorded with the phone. No beuno. Basically this just sets the stage for microsoft to buy nokia because I do believe that even though the 920 is awesome,it won't be enough. Hope I'm wrong though..

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
more or less all the news articles this morning have not been as positive as I would have hoped. But honestly nokia dropped the ball on a couple of issues (price, availability) and the fiasco with the video that wasn't recorded with the phone. No beuno. Basically this just sets the stage for microsoft to buy nokia because I do believe that even though the 920 is awesome,it won't be enough. Hope I'm wrong though..
Ehh. It's Nokia. The smartphone world doesn't consider them much of a player anymore. If it was Apple that introduced that camera, the press would be absolutely gushing; and there would be lineups at Apple stores everywhere.

Nokia (and by extension Windows Phone) are behind the eight ball here. ****, half of this forum has written them off.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Technologically speaking, yes, they did. It is an amazing piece of technology, and WP is definitely superior from a usability perspective too. Unfortunately, they didn't show how easy it is... just that it can be done.

cursor system

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I work for a public company and I hate the fact that we are a public company. The shareholders will probably only be satisfied if Nokia puts android on a device. Once WP finally takes off the shareholders will be fine again of course Nokia will also be pulling in major profits :) I just hope the executive team doesn't panic because of the stock price fall but at this point they may be used to it.
Who is to dictate the market Is it the shareholder or customers?

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The Customers since they are buying the products but if you don't work for a public company you would be surprised by the influence of the shareholders. If you do work for a public company and your shareholders are happy then you may not see the influence. Our CEO just stepped down because the shareholders weren't happy and demanded it. Our stock is doing fine but not as well as the shareholders had hoped.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss