So Elop was talking out his a** when he said they'd be revealing all of WP8 yesterday

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
As per WPCentral article here

EPIC FAIL!! They clearly didn't reveal everything about WP8 at the event yesterday in any way shape or form.

I've got to say yesterday was one of the biggest disappointments for me in the Windows Phone life cycle to date. I think they seriously scewed up and dropped the ball.

To show new hardware and tout the new OS and the NOT reveal anything about pricing, availability or even carriers just ONE WEEK before the new iPhone announcement was a critical mistake.
I've been on the Windows Phone bandwagon from the start but I'm finding it harder and harder to stay on board. I'm all for the 'slow and steady' approach but I just don't think MS or Nokia can afford to do it if they seriously want to make a dent in the moible ecosystem.

If we're looking at a Q4 launch then there could even be serious danger of RIM sneaking back in the game with the launch of BB10 (provided they don't slip again and it really does land in January AND is mind blowingly good).

At this point in time I'm getting seriously concerned about the future of Windows Phone, it's all starting to feel like too little, too late.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
He was clearly talking out of his a**. No way around that one. That's why I felt there was no point in Microsoft being there, unless the deal was that only Microsoft could "reveal" WP8 features such as the screenshot and lenses.

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
He was clearly talking out of his a**. No way around that one. That's why I felt there was no point in Microsoft being there, unless the deal was that only Microsoft could "reveal" WP8 features such as the screenshot and lenses.
As Han Solo would say, "I'm starting to get a bad feeling about this".

That's how I'm feeling about the future of Windows Phone at the moment.

They need some serious traction and better hope like **** this platform starts to garner more market share or it's going the way of the Zune HD. :mad:

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Maybe they were going to reveal everything, but decided at the last minute to hold info back for later. Isn't this fall supposed to be all about Windows 8, WP8 & Surface. Maybe some of the info is being kept secret cause it would give away some of the future announcements?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Its most likely he thought they would when the interview was done but MS pulled the plug at the last minute. Elop has been direct and open whenever he has given an interview from the beginning, it would be unlike him to intentionally BS people. Especially when it would be so easy to call him on it.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It's Microsoft's fault that WP8 is delayed, not Nokia's. WP8 should be in developer hands by now. Criminy sakes, look at how open the process of developing Windows 8 has been...there have been like three public betas by now. Something's wrong with WP8. I'm glad I'm not buying on day one.

This isn't Nokia's fault.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No he showed us all they had and the stock tanking like it is are the investor's now saying this is all we can take.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
It's Microsoft's fault that WP8 is delayed, not Nokia's. WP8 should be in developer hands by now. Criminy sakes, look at how open the process of developing Windows 8 has been...there have been like three public betas by now. Something's wrong with WP8. I'm glad I'm not buying on day one.

This isn't Nokia's fault.

I mostly agree... I think the downsides are exclusively due to Microsoft restrictions, not failures by Nokia.

I don't know if Microsoft isn't "done" or if it's just strategically holding back for dramatic effect, but they are on the edge of blowing it.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I have to agree. Some is very off about Windows Phone 8. Wasn't Mango in the hands of lots of people by now. ( sure WP8 can't be downloaded on current phones but they could just send people some)

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
More baseless b-s.

I'm sorry, you're welcome to disagree if you believe my opinion to be misguided. But if you're going to straight up call me a bull-****er, at least provide some substance to your claim. I look forward to any intellectual debate and discussion.

I'll clarify the point you bolded though... I do believe Microsoft can blow it with WP8 by holding back too much too long. Not only does it irritate the base of fans they have (and need for promotion of the platform), but they disenchant their developers by keeping the SDK private until the launch date (partial release to premiere partners next week, but general public on launch)? That's a slap in the face of developers looking to create or update their apps at launch. And given that the general public wants to see all the flashy bells and whistles of the interface and consumer features, why not appease them a bit? It worked great for the Windows 8 side.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
If Windows Phone 8 was ready now, they'd have unveiled it, so that the OEMs could do full demos of their new phones, instead of the "here's the hardware, but we won't let you navigate through the device" BS that Nokia was forced to pull, or the "here's the device but we won't turn it on' BS that Samsung was forced to pull.

Something is wrong with WP8. Don't know what, but something is definitely not right.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
If Windows Phone 8 was ready now, they'd have unveiled it, so that the OEMs could do full demos of their new phones, instead of the "here's the hardware, but we won't let you navigate through the device" BS that Nokia was forced to pull, or the "here's the device but we won't turn it on' BS that Samsung was forced to pull.

Something is wrong with WP8. Don't know what, but something is definitely not right.

Let's say you're right that something is disastrously "wrong" with it... I believe it would be game over for Microsoft if they've allowed OEMs to announce their hardware and then pull a last minute delay for the OS release. I believe if it were this much of a risk, they wouldn't let Nokia do any dog and pony shows either.

I prefer to see it a bit more optimistically that Microsoft is waiting for a really big reveal of something that they don't want Apple or Samsung being able to "me too" about. I think they'll reveal a special integration with a new partner such as Instagram and show off People/Pictures Hub integration (hunch only). Or it could be Google+ integration. Or both. In other words, I think they're waiting for Apple's announcement and then Microsoft will steal some wind from their sails by announcing this and the new Tell Me features (which we know are improved based on SDK leak + the 3rd party integration that Siri lacks).

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, you're welcome to disagree if you believe my opinion to be misguided. But if you're going to straight up call me a bull-****er, at least provide some substance to your claim. I look forward to any intellectual debate and discussion.

I'll clarify the point you bolded though... I do believe Microsoft can blow it with WP8 by holding back too much too long. Not only does it irritate the base of fans they have (and need for promotion of the platform), but they disenchant their developers by keeping the SDK private until the launch date (partial release to premiere partners next week, but general public on launch)? That's a slap in the face of developers looking to create or update their apps at launch. And given that the general public wants to see all the flashy bells and whistles of the interface and consumer features, why not appease them a bit? It worked great for the Windows 8 side.

Because leaking important consumer features right before the iPhone 5 event is not the wisest thing to do. Believe me, the week after or 2, we'll start to get leaks. Maybe notification center, Instagram, who knows.

Anyways I find it encouraging that none of the L920s demoed yesterday locked up, crashed or were laggy. That is a new level of perfection in the OS.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Because leaking important consumer features right before the iPhone 5 event is not the wisest thing to do. Believe me, the week after or 2, we'll start to get leaks. Maybe notification center, Instagram, who knows.

Anyways I find it encouraging that none of the L920s demoed yesterday locked up, crashed or were laggy. That is a new level of perfection in the OS.

I completely agree with you on this. I genuinely believe Microsoft is purposely holding back simply to announce a big reveal that will steal some of Apple's thunder. Also, you're exactly right, every demo session was setup in a way that it really did "just work", so they've put a lot spit and polish on things.

Which is part of my other point, however... is that they could have AND should have done just a little more now, and it could have helped change some opinions of the whole presentation. Microsoft NEEDS some positive energy going into October's big launch, and there's a lot of things competing for people's attention right now... thankfully nobody is talking about Motorola's launch, but possibly because they're too busy picking on Nokia's video sampler choice (which is totally bogus claim... the camera is the real deal). Just imagine, then, if Microsoft had shown some other stuff off so that people had something more to talk about than Nokia's cameras and whether it's real or not. Meanwhile, we have Apple (always a smoke and mirrors crowd pleaser), Amazon (did an amazing job and priced to kill), and who knows what else.

Ultimately, though, Microsoft has lots of opportunities now through launch to go on big reveals... but they're going to need to take those shots and be bolder and enthusiastic in their presentation style. I hope we're both right about Microsoft having some BIG TRICKS up their sleeves.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Any company can choose to stand up and hold a device and say “We’re launching it”. We’re proud, tomorrow, to be showing the very first working Windows Phone 8 device with everything unveiled
What didn't Nokia do on its side? Samsung didn't show jack. Nokia showed the first retail device running Windows Phone 8, and unveiled the details of its devices.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft wasn't ready and requested they not do a full demo.

It's unclear whether that's because of problems and/or being incomplete or whether it is because they are still planning a big reveal after Apple's launch to steal some thunder away.

I'm personally betting on the latter, but we shall see.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I mostly agree... I think the downsides are exclusively due to Microsoft restrictions, not failures by Nokia.

I don't know if Microsoft isn't "done" or if it's just strategically holding back for dramatic effect, but they are on the edge of blowing it.

No they're not. If you're MSFT you have one of two choices here:
1) Wait until the product is ready for prime time and release it
2) Meet the timetable and release it despite some possible buggyness.

Either way they're bound to come up with blowback from the press and the public at large. Personally, I'd have them wait until the product is ready; but that will never fly because consumers have A.D.D. and want immediate gratification. This board is a prime example of that.

Having said that, MSFT is fighting an uphill battle anyways because they are, well, MSFT. Their ecosystem has not been established yet and they're trying to push their way between two established giants. Plus (and this is a big one) people won't want to even look at them because they are Microsoft - and Microsoft is seen as a corporate leviathan who stand for all that is evil in the corporate world. (Usually by Apple fans which now reeks of irony given how powerful they are)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium