What was Nokia's (and Microsoft's) STRATEGY behind yesterday's announcement?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Most opinions out there are that the Nokia/Microsoft event was a misfire, especially since no carriers/price/dates were announced.

That being said, what were Nokia and Microsoft trying to accomplish yesterday? Did they accomplish what they set out to do?

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
To me they did I will be holding out for the 920 instead of going for the iPhone

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think MS was there just as a show of support for their premier partner. Not really a strategy move by them.

Nokia's strategy was to give us something to think about when the iPhone is announced. Mainly, PureView.

If they announced after Apple, threre would be nobody paying attention. Apple will drown everything out for a month or so.

By announcing before Apple, they say, "Here's the ultimate camera." So when Apple announces, some will ask, "How's the camera?"

Nokia knows that they can't beat Apple at this time. All they need is for a small percentage of people.

If 5% of Apple fans are disappointed by Apple's camera because they already heard about Nokia's, then they might consider switching.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what the intent was, but while I'm impressed by the phones I really would have liked to see some pricing/carrier/availability info.

rockonit

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I think MS was there just as a show of support for their premier partner. Not really a strategy move by them.

Nokia's strategy was to give us something to think about when the iPhone is announced. Mainly, PureView.

If they announced after Apple, threre would be nobody paying attention. Apple will drown everything out for a month or so.

By announcing before Apple, they say, "Here's the ultimate camera." So when Apple announces, some will ask, "How's the camera?"

Nokia knows that they can't beat Apple at this time. All they need is for a small percentage of people.

If 5% of Apple fans are disappointed by Apple's camera because they already heard about Nokia's, then they might consider switching.
Winning Guy - very well stated IMO. Whether Nokia could provide all the specifics or not they certainly planted a seed. I really don't think they had much choice. They could whet the appetite now or they could wait until late October. At least they could have some people thinking about an option other than iOS or Android.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree with winning guy.

The pricing and availability although important to a small percentage isn't a big issue. Everyone knows, at least in the US that it will be available around the first of November. It's also going to be very competitively priced. They have no other choice. They aren't in the Apple position to charge a premium. The only real question is what carriers will have it.

Also doesn't Nokia do an event like this every September?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Ok I can definitely see the strategy on that for sure. I guess Nokia figured "Well if we're going to show the camera might as well talk about the phone lineup, etc while we're at it."

Well Nokia World, yes. But Nokia World took place in Finland yesterday and today so I guess at some point both the NYC and Finland events were happening at the same time.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Dude, come on.

To be fair...going by your user name, I am sure that was the case already.

Not actually I came from a iphone4s and a htc one x I couldn't think of a name so Nokia4life was it just like in the android forum its gnex4life I have had all of them and yes before this I was thinking of going back to apple now it's hard to do that because I like the 920

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The strategy was to scoop Apple on optics, I expect, but they blew it.

The "fake video and photo" scandal means that most people who heard of PureView as a result of the initial promotion will say "oh, you mean that camera that Nokia faked with a high-end video setup. I read about that."

The follow-up apologies and "proof of concept" video from the show is damage control, but severe damage was still taken. If Apple or anybody else feels threatened by the Nokia optics, they can just reply with photos from their own device and say "we took this from the actual device, not a van with a professional video crew using high-end equipment." It will take months of Lumia devices actually shipping to end-users and demonstrating the capabilities of PureView in the everyday world before the trust-destruction will be mitigated.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The strategy was to scoop Apple on optics, I expect, but they blew it.

The "fake video and photo" scandal means that most people who heard of PureView as a result of the initial promotion will say "oh, you mean that camera that Nokia faked with a high-end video setup. I read about that."

The follow-up apologies and "proof of concept" video from the show is damage control, but severe damage was still taken. If Apple or anybody else feels threatened by the Nokia optics, they can just reply with photos from their own device and say "we took this from the actual device, not a van with a professional video crew using high-end equipment." It will take months of Lumia devices actually shipping to end-users and demonstrating the capabilities of PureView in the everyday world before the trust-destruction will be mitigated.

All it will take is a few preview devices given to tech sites when the iPhone becomes available to these sites.

Camera vs camera. Boom! Smoked by Nokia.

I guarantee that the general populace doesn't know about, or care about, the video that's giving internet people jollies. But if they do know about it, and underestimate Nokia's camera as a result, then comparison challenges will have an even greater impact.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with winning guy.

The pricing and availability although important to a small percentage isn't a big issue. Everyone knows, at least in the US that it will be available around the first of November. It's also going to be very competitively priced. They have no other choice. They aren't in the Apple position to charge a premium. The only real question is what carriers will have it.

Considering their stock went from $3.30 last week to $2.46 today I'd say it's a bit of an issue. Obviously their hands are tied by MS finishing the software but it doesn't build confidence in Nokia or MS that they have a product but can't say which markets it will be available, which carriers, what date or price. For a phone that two companies are putting a lot of pressure on to succeed this type of information was pretty important.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
All it will take is a few preview devices given to tech sites when the iPhone becomes available to these sites.

Camera vs camera. Boom! Smoked by Nokia.

I guarantee that the general populace doesn't know about, or care about, the video that's giving internet people jollies. But if they do know about it, and underestimate Nokia's camera as a result, then comparison challenges will have an even greater impact.

Based on the fact that people weren't able to operate the devices without a handler I think it is a big IF that this phone will be 'review ready' before the iPhone's already been out a month.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Based on the fact that people weren't able to operate the devices without a handler I think it is a big IF that this phone will be 'review ready' before the iPhone's already been out a month.

Often times, even with a Release Candidate build, if there are features that they haven't announced yet they won't let journalists handle the device. So I don't think you have enough information to jump to such a conclusion.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Considering their stock went from $3.30 last week to $2.46 today I'd say it's a bit of an issue. Obviously their hands are tied by MS finishing the software but it doesn't build confidence in Nokia or MS that they have a product but can't say which markets it will be available, which carriers, what date or price. For a phone that two companies are putting a lot of pressure on to succeed this type of information was pretty important.

Short term prices don't really mean anything. Today's market is extremely volatile, and the vast majority of investors really know nothing about the industry.

They want indicators that they can make a quick buck soon. Nokia's strategy isn't good for people that need immediate satisfaction.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Often times, even with a Release Candidate build, if there are features that they haven't announced yet they won't let journalists handle the device. So I don't think you have enough information to jump to such a conclusion.

Fair point, but you also can't jump to the conclusion that the phone will be in journalists hands anytime soon. Unfortunately none of us know if this phone is a month away from being ready or 2-2.5 months away and that lack of knowledge is what is hurting Nokia/MS from this event.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
So here's my take on why there's so much lacking...

I think Microsoft is holding back on something big. I think they have something unexpected that we haven't heard about from leaks, and they're waiting until after Apple makes their big flop reveal in order to share tidbits in order to steal some thunder.

It's a risky strategy for Microsoft, but I think whether it's lots of little things or a few big things or any combination, if they keep showing that partners are lining up, then that helps them out in the long game.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
So here's my take on why there's so much lacking...

I think Microsoft is holding back on something big. I think they have something unexpected that we haven't heard about from leaks, and they're waiting until after Apple makes their big flop reveal in order to share tidbits in order to steal some thunder.

It's a risky strategy for Microsoft, but I think whether it's lots of little things or a few big things or any combination, if they keep showing that partners are lining up, then that helps them out in the long game.
Good point on the MS end.
As for Nokia. the event was an epic failure. From an investors point of view no pricing no available date killed the stock as did only two devices when Nokia has been saying all along the focus is on WP8 Investors truly though they would see and hear so much more the weeks before this Nokia stock rose up in a reflection that the closer we got to the fall and the big event or none event after seeing what they had the markets reflected that disappointment greatly. Nokia can not I repeat can not afford to play games. the stock is tanking big time right now overseas and in the US.after $1.50 per share it becomes penny stock value. Nokia had a chance this week the presentation was boring other than the 920
with it only going to one US carrier and the cheaper device going everywhere else it baffled the markets. they wanted to see is what Samsung does putting there flagship on all carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos