Google cancels event

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
For the money, the nexus 4 is a very impressive device - yes it doesn't have 4G but in the UK that is of marginal concern at the moment - I wasn't interested in another android device but with that spec and for that price...

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
This is interesting. With no press conference, google announced the new Nexus 4 Android phone will jelly bean. $299, OFF CONTRACT.

Nexus 4, Nexus 10 release date, pricing announced | BGR

With competition scrambling to release competitive deals, this is a good sign for the success and impact of WP8.

If Google/Android didn't feel WP8 was a competition, their announcement probably would not have been made today.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's sorta too good of a deal to pass up. It's only 8G of storage with no SD support, but so was my Samsung focus, and I didn't have a problem.
For the money, the nexus 4 is a very impressive device - yes it doesn't have 4G but in the UK that is of marginal concern at the moment - I wasn't interested in another android device but with that spec and for that price...

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What? Why wouldn't they announce it. First, I didn't know they were announcing a phone. I thought it was a tablet. I don't think they were scrambling. This has been in the works for a while.

I don't think Google feels WP8 as their competition, not yet. The only competition for Android will be between the OEMs.

In the end, the consumer wins.
With competition scrambling to release competitive deals, this is a good sign for the success and impact of WP8.

If Google/Android didn't feel WP8 was a competition, their announcement probably would not have been made today.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Google just wants to flood the market with their devices during the holiday rush. I'm sure they are willing to subsidize it to make it possible.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It's sorta too good of a deal to pass up. It's only 8G of storage with no SD support, but so was my Samsung focus, and I didn't have a problem.

The 16gb version is still very impressive for the money - I am struggling to resist hittiing the pre-order button...

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Hmm let's see.. Surface with 1366x768 LCD display for $500-700 or Nexus 10 with 2560x1600 Super AMOLED display for $400-500.

Personally for me, if I had to buy right now, the choice would be between Surface w/ touch cover @ $600 vs. Nexus 10 @ $400 + cost of separate keyboard. Nexus 10 is way better spec'd hardware and a less bloated OS for $200 less. But would need a separate keyboard, no Office, and it's Android.

What I'd really like to see is an x86-based tablet running full Windows 8 with the hardware specs and price point of the Nexus 10. But I'm afraid Surface Pro is not going to come close.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
When it comes to tablet. I just can't do anything other than a WIndows 8 Pro "tablet". I have to be able to use "old" x86 programs. I love the Surface, but to me it's just an MS iPad. I'm waiting for the Pro machines.

I could never see me buying any type of google tablet.
Hmm let's see.. Surface with 1366x768 LCD display for $500-700 or Nexus 10 with 2560x1600 Super AMOLED display for $400-500.

Personally for me, if I had to buy right now, the choice would be between Surface w/ touch cover @ $600 vs. Nexus 10 @ $400 + cost of separate keyboard. Nexus 10 is way better spec'd hardware and a less bloated OS for $200 less. But would need a separate keyboard, no Office, and it's Android.

What I'd really like to see is an x86-based tablet running full Windows 8 with the hardware specs and price point of the Nexus 10. But I'm afraid Surface Pro is not going to come close.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I've heard many say that their 4G sucks. Couldn't it be that not all masts are 4G yet? Maybe you are surrounded by 3G masts in your localisation?

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Google release of this phone has pretty much guaranteed I use my upgrade on a WP7 device tho. I plan on get the N4 for 299 and use my upgrade on a new Nokia phone. Not the 920, but whatever comes after that.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I just tried to pre-order the 8G, and it just has a spot for a email address to notify you when it's available.

I pre-order it also. My plan was to get the 8S at 300+ but this is much better. Since I'm waiting for the next wave of Windows Phone devices, I don't mind the lack of LTE or low storage.

Google release of this phone has pretty much guaranteed I use my upgrade on a WP7 device tho. I plan on get the N4 for 299 and use my upgrade on a new Nokia phone. Not the 920, but whatever comes after that.

Exactamundo. That phone is too much beast, LG why do you keep pulling me back? This should be my 4 straight LG device XD.

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was thinking the same. I think I'll wait just a bit more though before making a decision. I've only seen one website with an off contract price for the 8S and its $324 (on Negiri). As much as I hate non-expandable storage (especially at just 8 & 16 GB), I also can't deny that the N4 is pretty damn sexy as well as a good deal. But as I said, I'll just wait until I make a final decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion