Windows Phone 8 Event - live thread

CrownSeven

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Disappointed with this announcement - where the heck are the details on all the new tech features included in WP8?

New resolutions?
NFC?
Multi-tasking - any changes?
Dual-Core cpu - how will the phone take advantage?

If they want to get the blogosphere talking about WP8 in a positive way, they failed miserably. In fact you can be sure the talk of the town will be how the announcement was a dud, and for the most part was just a rehash of things we already knew.

diapers

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
pointless, weak, disappointed. I don't know anymore about it now than I did yesterday.

At least they finally announced when the rest of us loser developers can have the SDK.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Reading the recap it wasn't so bad. I get why people are upset over no ATT launch dates, but it was more of a global event so they probably didn't want to emphasize US carriers + ATT will probably have their own event.

But I see the negativity has started so it might be a good time to avoid this place for a while.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Shocking not to see Sprint or any other CDMA carrier in the US not being on the WP8 launch? Not at all. It's being done for a reason, and is not lack of interest by the carriers. It's more about direct support from Microsoft and not encrypting CDMA based devices to Qualcomm 512 bit current standards and using a 7 year old 256bit encryption AT&T and T-Mobile standards (which are obsolete if you want EVDO Revision B aka SVDO devices).

This was great part of the reason if not the key reason why there were only two devices for CDMA carriers, and coding to GSM carrier based encryption and not having CDMA coders in house (HTC was behind the CDMA encoding for NoDo) has not helped Microsoft either, especially when focusing their support and marketing strategies for WP7 solely on GSM carrier.

Now you know why Windows Phone has less than a 3% marketshare in the US smartphone market.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
And to correct the beginning of my previous post, I meant to say no need to be shocked for not seeing Sprint or any other CDMA carrier outside of Verizon to be on board for the launch of WP8.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey Team Obi Juan, what updates are you referring to? I've been preoccupied the last couple of days so some juicy things may have slipped through the net.

That was another part of my question. I have heard nothing about WP8 TellMe, but whatever updates they do get, I'd like it on 7.8.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
As we've heard absolutely nothing about TellMe, I would safely bet that it has not been updated in Wp8. :(

Which is too bad, because I got to play with a friend's iphone 5 over the weekend.

Say you were filling out a series of text boxes while adding a contact. You can use voice dictation for each of those text boxes, and it does a great job. Obviously, you can also add reminders and calendar events with voice.

I was hoping for some more TellMe functionality. Namely, reminders like "remind me to do XYZ when I get home." Location aware reminders are outstanding, really wish we had that.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Reading the recap it wasn't so bad. I get why people are upset over no ATT launch dates, but it was more of a global event so they probably didn't want to emphasize US carriers + ATT will probably have their own event.

But I see the negativity has started so it might be a good time to avoid this place for a while.

+1

I think they did a good job with the event. They did take the kids corner a bit far. Jessica seemed a bit nervous which is surprising seeing that she is an actress.

Also the new reviews in the news section are very good, I love reading them. The forums on the other hand are getting ridicules. It seems like nothing but a bunch of whining, *****ing and complaining. Good Idea to stay out of them for a few days.

lkaila

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
It seems to be impossible to post a comment on the news article, so here goes:

- Are there separate volume controls for headset/speaker?
- Does the calendar finally show legitimate appointments on the month view instead of jibberish ('hello from seatlle' etc..)
- Can the camera app correctly simulate white balance in the viewfinder? I hate it in WP7 when the WP changes completely to something else after you have taken the shot..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb