Windows Phone 8 Event - live thread

turbulent

Feb 13, 2007
Visit site
swung and a miss by micro

the whole kids corner presentation with his children dragged. you could tell he was uncomfortable because well, his little one didnt behave as planned..lol

and jessica alba stuttering? lol.. hot girl, room full of nerds..

ilifecomputer

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I pretty much make it a point to watch most pressers besides MS (and they're my favorite company ever!). Such a snoozefest all the time. I also had faith that we would get no dates and no concrete facts about the things I want to know.

I was also expecting there to be no update to the windows phone section of the Microsoft store website with no information about anything. It's like they're OK just catering to us faithfuls and not taking normal buyers into account.

Surface... Coming soon
Wp8... Coming soon to some places
Wp82... Coming this particular month

Who's calling these shots?

CoolBeit

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
You'd think if they planned a product launch they would at least launch with availability and pricing info. This was kinda dumb.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

domain37

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Disapointed

Can I please get some reaction from others, I have been impatiently waiting for this announcement and they didn't announce anything, and no date for att is a f%$@g joke!!!!! I want the lumia 920 but think Microsoft and Nokia are unorganized and just a joke in general, lets make 15 announcements and announce nothing, does anyone feel the same way?

domain37

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So after all the secrecy it was basically all the stuff we knew already. Complete waste of all the anticipation.
I couldn't agree more I might be done with WP, if this is the s**t we have to deal with its back to the iPhone at least apple is a reliable company, if Microsoft has one more announcement about nothing they should lose buyers, I would hope they would and if anyone knows how to contact Microsoft and let them know I think they should because that pathetic 3.5% market is going to get more pathetic if this is how they operate, that whole even was a comedy show.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
TellMe has been updated - it integrates with app i.e. you can use app commands like - "play audible xyz book"

Ahh yes, right you are, sir. :) I remember the keynote demo now.

Which is too bad, because I got to play with a friend's iphone 5 over the weekend.

Say you were filling out a series of text boxes while adding a contact. You can use voice dictation for each of those text boxes, and it does a great job. Obviously, you can also add reminders and calendar events with voice.

I was hoping for some more TellMe functionality. Namely, reminders like "remind me to do XYZ when I get home." Location aware reminders are outstanding, really wish we had that.

Siri is definitely leading the way in terms of voice functionality.... as much as I hate to say that.

I'll be interested to see how Ask Ziggy fares on Wp8. :)

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Reading the recap it wasn't so bad. I get why people are upset over no ATT launch dates, but it was more of a global event so they probably didn't want to emphasize US carriers + ATT will probably have their own event.

But I see the negativity has started so it might be a good time to avoid this place for a while.

Yeah, I'm mostly here for the tablet threads. I mostly ignore the WP threads because a bunch of threads tend to degenerate into HTC or Samsung vs Lumia 920, how much people hate Nokia for screwing X up, how much people hate Microsoft for screwing X up, or how Microsoft is an idiot for not including X feature.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
It seems to be impossible to post a comment on the news article, so here goes:

- Are there separate volume controls for headset/speaker?
- Does the calendar finally show legitimate appointments on the month view instead of jibberish ('hello from seatlle' etc..)
- Can the camera app correctly simulate white balance in the viewfinder? I hate it in WP7 when the WP changes completely to something else after you have taken the shot..

I know for a fact that it's a "NO" for the first two. Sucks, huh?

+1

I think they did a good job with the event. They did take the kids corner a bit far. Jessica seemed a bit nervous which is surprising seeing that she is an actress.
She was out of her element. A lot of actors don't do well on live settings, unless they've done theater. Plus, a room full of bloggers with laptops can intimidate anyone :p

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I know for a fact that it's a "NO" for the first two. Sucks, huh?

She was out of her element. A lot of actors don't do well on live settings, unless they've done theater. Plus, a room full of bloggers with laptops can intimidate anyone :p

Gotta watch again to see her anyway as I missed her live. But yeah, actors generally get as many takes as they want to look smooth. Watch SNL and see how some of the best stutter and mess up when live. And SNL has many takes before the "live" one.

Does camera have redeye reduction function? I hate that its not there in wp7.5.

That Grid comparison in the beginning is very revealing to how similar iOS and Android are and how boring as well.

Last edited:

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Gotta watch again to see her anyway as I missed her live. But yeah, actors generally get as many takes as they want to look smooth. Watch SNL and see how some of the best stutter and mess up when live. And SNL has many takes before the "live" one.
You ain't lying. Only a select few do great on SNL. You have others that practically stand and read their parts live to the point that it's just ridiculous (I'm looking at you, Charles Barkley ;)).
Does camera have redeye reduction function? I hate that its not there in wp7.5.
I haven't seen a peep about this. I'm going with "NO." I wonder if it has to do with the requirements of a pre-flash? Do Android phones or the iPhone have a red-eye reduction option? I honestly don't know.
That Grid comparison in the beginning is very revealing to how similar iOS and Android are and how boring as well.
That was splendidly done by Belfiore. I think I'm going to share the video with my friends on Facebook. I'll just tell them to watch the first 2 or 3 minutes. Of course I have a couple of Apple fanboys on my list so I might have to exclude them. All they'll do is butt in with their fanboyism.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen a peep about this. I'm going with "NO." I wonder if it has to do with the requirements of a pre-flash? Do Android phones or the iPhone have a red-eye reduction option? I honestly don't know.

Not sure if its in the camera app but pretty sure its in the native camera app on iOS6. My brother took pictures with his at my daughters birthday dinner and the flash obviously caused red eye. He simply touched the eyes he needed altered and they had no red eye. So simple I cannot believe WP8 camera does not have that function. Definitely going to be my next recommendation on the windows phone suggestions page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786